The food thread

Bob, what temp are you going to set the Sous Vide to? I was doing 135F for 36 hrs. I think 24 would have been fine with a 2 hr smoke at 170F.

Moist and flaky. Not juicy moist, but dry moist without being chewy.

Cal, is that for about 4.5KG (10#) brisket? That is my estimate by the ratio.

Last edited:
Yah, not after the potted meat texture for sure! Was thinking maybe just long enough to bring it up to 140 internal (maybe 4-6 hrs?) before hitting the smoker with it, kindly like the reverse sear method.

So with the two hour boiling scenario is end result rather dry like pastrami or is it still juicy?

If I ever lose all my teeth, I know how to process meat so I can still enjoy the flavor if not the texture.

:p

Just whipped up one of my fruit loaves and threw it in the oven. Sometimes I use bananas, sometimes stewed apple. This time, for a change, I've included both.
They usually come out like this:

Attachments

• Banana Bread 1 (sliced).jpg
    Banana Bread 1 (sliced).jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Banana Bread 2.jpg
    Banana Bread 2.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 86
Well considering I’ve never sous vide’d anything before figured I’d try your two hour boil method first……it just seemed to me like it might be a good place to try it out. I’m not set up for cold smoking either.

The picture of what you brought to your event looked quite moist/tender…….your method is most inline with what I know works.

Last edited:
Okay, here goes...

I just harvested my first "vanilla" chili and also that Trinidad Moruga Scorpion or whatever else it could be.
The unknown chili variant had a very nice paprica flavour and a decently spicy but easily tolerable heat. Much better than anything from a store, not quite as good as the Black Pearl as that is just a touch more "fruity".

I sliced open the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, and I'm instantly hit with a very intense fruit scent, so much it's just crazy. My wife thought it smelled like some kind of soap, I thought it smelled like a kind of watermelon candy the kids bought once. Surprised that there where no seeds.
Poked my digit to the sliced fruit and had a lick, it's very fruity, tastes exactly like that watermelon candy mentioned previously, quite hot but tolerable, my wife became completely incapacitated after the same.

My wife had made some Rendang only with lamb instead of beef, while she where shedding some tears and testing the limits of her vocabulary I went to put half of the fruit on my spoon, the kids and missus brought protests and objections to the table upon seeing this.
I put it in my mouth and chewed thoroughly, I immediately start hiccuping profusely like someone flipped a switch to activate "insane hiccup mode", the fruityness is extremely intense. Yes it's spicy as heck, but that was expected. It's like they took a large crate of watermelon, distilled the flavour compounds, and mixed it with capsaicin in half a tiny chili.

Then the heat hits, and it was *much more than more than enough* but not unexpectedly so. I went for a walk to look around the garden to take my mind somewhere else, and that worked quite well actually, made the entire experience feel just slightly shy of torture.

After feeling like I started to get a grip on the situation I went inside, not feeling too bad I wanted to take a shower after the sweating, went in the bathroom feeling pretty ok. My body suddenly decided to throw up, and it was so strange, like there was some kind of overload protection kicking in.
Felt just fine afterwards, had my shower and all is well.

Proceeded to eat my very tasty (previously untouched) Rendang dinner with no further ill effects.

I prefer Habanero, this chili was just so intensely fruity that I really do not know how to explain it. Habanero is enough, I do not know if it's possible to put this significantly spicier chili in anything useful like a sauce, but I will try...

Attachments

• IMG_20210829_095847_031.jpg
    IMG_20210829_095847_031.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20210829_095905_950.jpg
    IMG_20210829_095905_950.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20210829_100800_914.jpg
    IMG_20210829_100800_914.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20210829_100403_638.jpg
    IMG_20210829_100403_638.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20210829_100337_511.jpg
    IMG_20210829_100337_511.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20210829_102114_580.jpg
    IMG_20210829_102114_580.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20210829_103148_011.jpg
    IMG_20210829_103148_011.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Skjermbilde 2021-08-29 121246.jpg
    Skjermbilde 2021-08-29 121246.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 41
Habanero is my go-to pepper when it’s unique flavor works with whatever I’m making.
Any hotter and I’ll tap out for sure. I like to get a bag of them when they are available, run them through a food processor with a touch of vinegar, salt, and then freeze it. The small container lasts for many months with a chip taken out here and there.

Today we’re heading to a picnic with some family members, and was requested to bring my usual fruit salad, with orange zest, always gets finished.

That is called a two for one pepper! Enjoy it at first and then later you get it again!
Indeed...

I no longer have a need or desire to punish myself like that.
You know what they say, curiousity killed the ...... erhhhh... Norwegian bloke that was wondering about spicy chilies.

Habanero is my go-to pepper when it’s unique flavor works with whatever I’m making.
Any hotter and I’ll tap out for sure. I like to get a bag of them when they are available, run them through a food processor with a touch of vinegar, salt, and then freeze it. The small container lasts for many months with a chip taken out here and there.
Yeah, completely agree, Habaneros taste like *******' vanilla sauce compared to that thing.
This my go-to. Assorted peppers, fermented, processed and bottled. Always on hand.
Really trying to think hard what I can mix it with, can't throw away the plant and the fruits waiting to ripen... Assorted sounds great, there's some different peppers I can mix it with, but I seriously hope that fruityness can be pegged down like 15 notches.