The food thread

There must be more than one red snapper Bob. Ours is a cold water rock fish.

EDIT: A quick read tells me there is indeed a difference between the Pacific and Atlantic versions. Apparently, while both are highly sought after, the Atlantic version is the only true Red Snapper.

Hint: They have a very similar appearance.

Yah I looked it up, pacific rockfish is called red snapper up in your neck of the woods but definately not the same fish.....Internet consensus is it’s not as tasty as it’s namesake.

It’s funny striped bass are called rockfish in parts of the east coast.

Seems many fish get convoluted depending on geography.

These are some we got awhile back, red snapper on right , black grouper on left......that’s a 4’x8’ piece of plywood for size reference.

Attachments

• 459ED40A-4783-4F06-AA05-3AD1B30E97B3.png
    459ED40A-4783-4F06-AA05-3AD1B30E97B3.png
    348.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
speaking of fish a friend flew from London to San Jose on Sunday. On landing he was told there would be a delay before the plane doors were opened due to the need to get 32 tonnes of frozen salmon and trout off first. Now that's a shed load of fish to air freight and I didn't know there was much demand for Trout in California!

Salmon I could understand had I not tasted sockeye.

I used to fish the CT river for northern pike back in the 80’s and recall catching a few decent walleyes. But I don’t see how they could support a commercial fishery from it.

Here’s another perfect example, them crazy Canadians call em ‘Pickerel’ I used to hunt with a Canadian feller (from Saskatchewan) that was always telling me about this great pickerel lake he knew and kept bugging me to go....finally I got pissed and told him I don’t want no stinking pickerel and he just looked at me funny and dropped it from then on.

Wasn’t till many years later I figured out he was talking about walleye! But I’d lost contact by then.....oh well.

Walleye is my favorite fresh water fish for eating.....fun to fish for too.

Last edited:
walleyed pike
That's a new one for me. A walleye is much closer to a perch than a pike, but it is just a name.
Imo, they are one of the best tasting fish I have ever eaten. They sell them here, most come from the great lakes, Lake Erie is a commercial fishery.
According to Wiki.
The walleye is sometimes called the yellow walleye to distinguish it from the blue walleye, which is a subspecies that was once found in the southern Ontario and Quebec regions, but is now presumed extinct.

Odd that they say presumed extinct. We caught a few blue pics, when I was fishing with my bro and his friend in the Lake Superior region. We were catching blue and yellow in the same spot. I could not taste any difference. makes sense since they are saying, "However, recent genetic analysis of a preserved (frozen) 'blue walleye' sample suggests that the blue and yellow walleye were simply phenotypes within the same species and do not merit separate taxonomic classification".
I guess it is best not to say what lake it was, as we want to keep them from becoming extinct.
It was a wonderful adventure, snowing in June, we were woken up one morning to a young black bear licking the grease off the BBQ.

Last edited: