The food thread

However I will not use maple flavored syrup or anything that contains high fructose corn syrup. I even like them without syrup!

I suffer from Fructose malabsorption. Real maple syrup is fine but maple flavoured syrup and honey are not. I also steer clear of regular soda pop and a number of other things.

Your flapjacks sound good.

Weird stuff...Oh my!

I’ll take your word for it.....I’m a purist, my wife puts cheese and onions on a BLT Makes me insane!
I Spent many yrs in New England back in the day,
The chowder rivalries between red,white, and clear might even top that between the Red Sox and Yankees!

Cal-chi ....love it! :D

Last edited:
There must be more than one red snapper Bob. Ours is a cold water rock fish.

EDIT: A quick read tells me there is indeed a difference between the Pacific and Atlantic versions. Apparently, while both are highly sought after, the Atlantic version is the only true Red Snapper.

Hint: They have a very similar appearance.

Last edited:
How about Calamari stewed in tomato?

I'm getting hungry just thinking of buttery soft squid rings myself. I feel a trip to the fish market coming on...

If it goes too long it's like eating your sneakers.

Several years ago my son made fried calamari for the Christmas Eve celebration of the fishes. I unbeknownst, used the same oil to fry "chrusciki" (1) -- as he had cooled the oil and poured it back into the original container.

Everything went great on Christmas, the day after Christmas however the house smelled like a calamari packing plant!

(1) Polish Chrusciki (AKA Angel Wings) Recipe