The food thread

I've come down with a sinus infection, so I decided since I'm taking antibiotics I need to make a fresh batch of yogurt and a batch of sauerkraut.

I hopefully won't experience the same result as Cal.

I bought two regular cabbages plus one "organic" cabbage. 6.6lb total.

I used 3TBSP salt and did not add water.

IIRC, that is a 3 gallon crock.

Attachments

• 20200104_113705.jpg
    20200104_113705.jpg
    545.7 KB · Views: 138
The Kraut is fermenting, and smells right.

I did a "Select" (that is below Choice) Rib Eye for dinner. I Suis Vide cooked it for 30Hrs at 135, bumped it to 145 the last hour, then broiled it to finish it.

It was very tender and everyone enjoyed it. I must say it was more tender than any "Choice" I have done traditionally.

Hanh had a big smile on her face yesterday coming in after shopping. Half price on a jug of milk she says.
Hmmm...
Sure enough, it's whole milk and it was past the best before date, neither of which are popular around here. So...
New England seafood chowder it is.

Clams
Prawns
Scallops
Bacon
Golden potatoes
Yellow onions
Orange carrots
Green celery
White mushrooms
Green cabbage

Cal try not to read this...

I have been adding bran to my pancakes. About as much bran as flour. No real change in taste but they tend not to get mushy.

Not sure if there are really any health benefits, but it seems to me to make better pancakes.

Another bit of difference instead of blueberries I sometimes use dried cherries or bits of apple.

However I will not use maple flavored syrup or anything that contains high fructose corn syrup. I even like them without syrup!