The food thread

Also found out the Korean market has goat! More things to try.
Nice. We have a Wholesale Club about 30 minutes from here that, while a food store, it's really more of a restaurant supply place and is open to the public, no membership. Along with 1000L pots and 8ft. pizza paddles, you can buy food. Large quantities only but they have whole goat and lamb. If I thought I could make use of it, it would be nice to pick one up and spend a day in the kitchen pretending to be a butcher.

wholesale club kingsway burnaby - Google Search

After a night in the dehydrator...

Attachments

• IMG_1148.jpg
    IMG_1148.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 102
@Scott: ouch... I don't think I ever had the patience for homemade demiglace. My "favorite" nightmare story is coming back home to find a nice piece of game (intended for a roast) happily boiling on the fire in its marinade. A well meaning friend had seen that "abandoned" pan full of meat and wine and thought it would be nice to start the preparation of the meal early.

@nezbleu: honestly, I'd rather cook lamb your way if it were for me. Or simply grilled with zaatar and fresh Lebanese bread. I like lamb quite rare. But it'd make the cooking too time critical.

That's one heck of a party to need a whole goat! Well above my ambitions, I'll admit. :) We have "Cash and Carry" here which is similar.

As always, looks delicious, Cal.

When my mother lived in Montserrat BWI the sort of national dish at any large gathering (weddings etc) was "goat water", a spicy goat stew. I used to have a recipe that was published by some ladies' auxiliary fundraiser cookbook. The first ingredient was "one kid". You need a very big pot. It was usually served in a mug, you sip the broth then eat the meat with your fingers. I only had it a couple of times but it was great.

@nezbleu: honestly, I'd rather cook lamb your way if it were for me. Or simply grilled with zaatar and fresh Lebanese bread. I like lamb quite rare. But it'd make the cooking too time critical.

I get it. You are preparing twice as much meat as I am, for more people, and you have to transport it and coordinate with others.

I haven't quite decided what to stuff it with. I think I'll use some pork sausage meat, add lots of garlic, some lemon zest, herbs, maybe some breadcrumbs, and some pistachios. I "tunnel boned" the leg (removed the bone without butterflying the meat) so there isn't a huge cavity to fill.

Quite amazing how I could remove the bones with two fingers... The meat is really melting at this point. I'm taking the road for the family meeting leaving this behind. The best part (the sauce) is missing from that pic...

Happy Easter to all.

Attachments

• 0_IMG_20180401_115422367.jpg
    0_IMG_20180401_115422367.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 86
My Jamaican friends would love that wholesale club there in bc!
The goat curry that they prepared the last time they had us over was amazing...

My jamaican friends are very insistent that it is called Curry (or curried) Goat but not goat curry!

We have an indoor market here where they sell half a goat for £30.
Weather allowing I will barbecue one this year. Was gonna do it last year but there were only 2 days when everybody in the family was at home and the weather good enough for outdoor cooking.

Making things work when you don't have all you need can be really rewarding.

That's happening here today. Instead of looking at recipes and shopping yesterday as I hoped, I ended up having to fix a busted water pipe at our well.

Made a quick run to the grocery after all that (and a beer or two) and grabbed a leg of lamb and some eggplant. It's just my wife and I tonight so I boned the lamb, will make kebabs from a portion and save the rest of the lamb for a tagine or curry.

Cal,

Fried matzo for lunch, lamb with fruit for dinner. Mostly a fresh food and lots of vegeterian diet for the next week. There are lots of modified specialty foods available that I avoid as they substitute starch for gluten. My friends who avoid gluten stock up on the specialty varients. You can actually get decent cakes and cookies made without wheat flour. Spelt is a popular substitute.

Interesting tale as to how Maxwell House got the Jewish immigrants to switch from tea to coffee. For the celebration diner (AKA as the Seder or last supper) Maxwell House printed an English and Hebrew version of the prayer/guide book they gave away with a can of coffee. Still do as far as I know. As anyone else's version was much harder to get, the book was quite popular. So tea drinkers started trying coffee. Me, I still drink tea from a glass.

Been watching the live JC superstar. Only took them an hour to dial in the sound. Who knew vocals matter in telling a story? I helped friends with this one in 1971. My impression is they did a better job!

So does anyone around here eat corn flakes?

I eat cereal pretty much every morning except Sunday. Sunday is bacon dsy, I think that's in the Bible somewhere. Among the favored breakfast cereals KCF feature prominently, along with raisin bran, Cheerios, Shreddies and Quaker Oat Bran Squares. Oh and spoon size shredded wheat. The wife is a fan of puffed wheat, and both she and the child like oatmeal. Lately my cereal buying has been price driven, it seems like all the cereal that used to cost $2 now costs $6, so I watch for sales.