The food thread

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
That is sad.

I went there twice with me and my mum. That was enough to guarantee that I won't go there again and would rather go to the chinese place just next door to it.

WHEN I do buy chinese, which at the moment is about anywhere between once every 2 months to once every 2 weeks. Haven't gone there in about a month however, I usually get a tray of honey soy chicken and some beef dish but I also love the curry dish and will supplement a beef dish with a curry one any day.

This fortnights diet I've been eating tons of lunch meat (Mortadella, Rare roast beef, Cheese Kranksy sausages, tinned John West Sweet Chilli Tuna), all of those on rice crackers (gluten free + cheap) along with fresh vine ripeneed tomatoes and sometimes some whole egg mayonnaise (I try to avoid this, high in fat) or freshly ground pepper. Though I asked mum to buy some black pepper corns because I miss black pepper from when I was a kid when I used to have it a lot.

I've also been incorporating green or "white" seedless grapes and tons of fruit into my diet. Like lots, 4x bags of grapes, a huge watermelon, rockmelon, pineapple, kiwi fruit, avocadoes, peaches, pears, rasberries.

However I have 4x pieces of t-bone steak in the freezer which I intend on getting stuck into for week 2 of my fortnight diet probably starting today or tomorrow night, 100% australian grown beef so no chance of diseases from this.

Also been eating 4x bags of sweet potato chips and 4x bags of doritos and about 4 tubs of greek style yogurt for breakfast. (spread over a 2 week period) Oh yeah and lets not forget the seasoned szechuan chicken that I've been buying and eating.

Oh yeah lets not forget the green pitted pimento olives, bought 3x tall bottles of them, I rinse them under the tap before munching down.

Everything is on the up and up as far as I'm concerned. I feel smartest after eating half a container of olives, just in case any of you wanted to do a brain hack.

Last edited:
Nez what is the place called.

It's the Turkish place in the food court in Scotia Square mall, I think it's called Kebab Kitchen (it used to have a different name, and there do not appear to be any Turks or even Syrians working there any more). Not to be confused with the Lebanese donair place between Subway and Korea Garden. (Can you tell I work upstairs?) They also do wraps, but they don't use the soft flat bread they use for the platter, which they warm over the charcoal and sprinkle with zatar or something.

There are a few nice Turkish places in town these days. When I was a kid there were 0. But I still remember Astroff's Delicatessen on Dresden Row back in the day, probably the best deli east of Montreal. Everything in Halifax has always been "the best/biggest/oldest east of Montreal";. I was amused recently to see a shop on Spring Garden Rd called "East of Montreal". :)

WHEN I do buy chinese,

In the building where I work there is also a language center where they teach English to recent immigrants and foreign students. There is also a food court where there is a Chinese place. Many of the language students are Chinese. You want to go to the food court just after them and follow them to the Chinese food place, and when you reach the front of the line say "I'll have what he had.". :)

This fortnights diet I've been eating tons of lunch meat

Don't do that, the salt and fat and who-knows-what in those processed meats will kill you. A little is great, some is OK, a lot is too much.

I've also been incorporating green or "white" seedless grapes and tons of fruit into my diet. Like lots, 4x bags of grapes, a huge watermelon, rockmelon, pineapple, kiwi fruit, avocadoes, peaches, pears, rasberries.

Fresh fruits and veggies are where it's at!

It's like this...

Yup. I just ate a dinner that was at least a day, and possibly a few months, in the making.

So between xmas and New Year's I went to my favourite butcher shop an hour out of town, and the had rib roasts on sale. We were expecting family in the next few days so I bought a nice rib roast, blah blah. However they also had some nice looking "braising ribs" at a decent price, do I got some.

A few weeks later my local grocery store had beef shank on sale, so I bought a couple of slices.

So: made stock from the shanks after roasting them with onion, celery, carrots etc, let it simmer a long time. Then browned the braising ribs, sauteed the usual suspects in the pan, deglazed with some wine, added some of the shank stock (but kept it simmering), and braised those ribs until the meat was falling off the bone.

So I still had a pot of stock simmering away, and the ribs simmering in their own broth. I degreased the stock and really pressed out the liquids. I lifted the meat of the ribs out of the pan, put the degreased liquid back in the pan. You have to realize I was dealing with two vessels, both containing beef and vegetables making broth. Getting rid of the grease is so important to get a nice rich stock.

Eventually reassembled things, but took thick slices of potato and fried them until just crisp and golden, then put them on top of the meat and broth and let them steam. I'm still a little woozy from the perfection.

I finally learned how to make fried cod that my son will eat.

Slice the cod into 1.5cm wide strips.

Dip in egg with some olive oil which has been whipped together.

Dredge lightly with flour and let set.

Dip in a thin beer batter, one part flour, one part corn starch, one egg, one part beer plus a bit to thin the batter and salt to taste.

Roll in Panko crumbs.

Fry in peanut oil.