The food thread

I have always wanted to try Gordon Ramsay's recipe for beef Wellington. To my surprise, this week a local supermarket had whole beef tenderloin on sale (this never happens). So I bought a whole tenderloin, some frozen puff pastry, and some thin sliced proscuito, and made the Wellington!

IMG_20180211_202257.jpg

IMG_20180211_202744.jpg

That does look delicious!

Congrats.

I'm lucky when it goes on sale for $9.99, with the center cut removed (I get the ends).

This was the whole enchilada for C$10.99/lb. At current exchange rates that's less than US$9/lb ( my math is probably wrong but on the high side). Tenderloin is usually at least $25/lb around here. Of course there was some blood in the package and some fatty bits to remove, but not much.

BTW it was delicious.

Tenderloin is usually at least $25/lb around here. Of course there was some blood in the package and some fatty bits to remove, but not much.

BTW it was delicious.

Costco has a holiday special every year here which includes whole prime ones super trimmed for Wellington's at about $20/lb. I made 3 for 30 folks one Christmas and went all in with a demi-glace and black truffles. His version works a lot more reliably than Julia's.

Had to look that one up. Why do Europeans always slam the stuff Americans cook up? That donair sauce, who would have thought that up?

It's the official food of this fair city! It is disgusting but irresistible if you've had enough to drink. I usually get the souvlaki instead. The donair sauce is what makes it official, and it is as bad as it sounds (condensed milk, sugar, and garlic salt).

Had my once a year or so donair last night,
I do it at least once a month. We have some good shops out this way.
That donair sauce, who would have thought that up?
I looked up the recipe and that's not what we have here. We have 3 sauces and you choose what you want. All watered down to flow easily off a spoon

Mayonaisse with garlic, no sweetnees at all.
Tzatziki
Red chili

I don't do the garlic but one spoon of Tzatziki and two of the chili are good with this guy.

Sorry Nez, the Haligonian donair is not 'real', it's what some fellow thought the Canadian palate wanted back in the 70's.

This kind of stuff is common in food stalls at some of the state fairs here especially in the mid-west. Combinations that are gross or maximization of the unhealthiness.

Monkey Business: Caramelized banana burrito stuffed with homemade bacon jam and creamy peanut putter, deep-fried, and topped with a drizzle of Wisconsin honey and a sprinkle of chipotle cinnamon sugar. (Available at Saz's BBQ.)