The food thread

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I've recently started a mostly fruit diet. I figured it was better off eating a mostly high sugar diet from fruit than it was to eat a mostly mcdonalds diet. I've also been eating a lot of lunchmeat, various types. Rare roast beef, honey leg ham, mortadella olive devon, and peri peri chicken. Also been eating a lot of green olives lately. Also bought a t-bone steak and some scotch fillet steak.

To give you an idea of the cost of fresh fruit and meat in this region this diet has cost me $250/AUD. Just about my limit per fortnight that I can spend on food for one fortnight.

I would like to follow Carl's spread that he made a few pages ago where he combined various different ingredients all on one plate. But I'm not entirely sure if I can afford to do so. I will try again however next payday.

Only downside to this diet is that it makes you go to the toilet rather quite often. Can't ever seem to get a happy balance.

Last edited:
Don't mention Sicily! :worship:
Remember when we decided to have meat at a small restaurant on Salina, just outside Sicily and the waiter showed us a pair of fishes just brought in from the sea. F*ck the cows - fire up the grill!!:lickface:

So my mother's from Palermo, and, well, yeah. The eating is good. I am still crying inside about a ruined swordfish though; Nonna overcooked fish badly (I'm sure there was historic reason for this, i.e. food poisoning, she was an otherwise excellent cook)

Cal's
all on one plate. But I'm not entirely sure if I can afford to do so.
It isn't something you go buy ingredients for, it's what in the fridge. And, keep in mind, many of those items are homemade rather than store bought as you not only save money but you get to tailor the seasoning to your taste. It's also easy to assemble.

Attachments

• IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1335.jpg
    IMG_1335.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 102
The chicharon is ready.
After it has dried overnight in the oven, it is cut into pieces and fried. With my kitchen buddy taking the lead we made fast work of it. Except for the vinegar bath last night, it is unseasoned so we do that just before eating.

Attachments

• IMG_1018.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1017.jpg
    IMG_1017.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1013.jpg
    IMG_1013.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 48
I have several different bottles, but only drink the stuff when one of my college buds come over. Each time 'mamselle and I visit Vezelay I get another.

I had a look at their website and it appears like Cartron revamped their line. The 20years old marc has been replaced by a 15years in a more fashionable bottle. :confused:

The marc from the Robert Chevillon domain is more than drinkable (my brother gets it in Luxembourg where a big wine shop imports it). The best marc I had was from the Dubreuil-Fontaine domain though.

Hi Cal

Its a DIY Red Curry, containing stinky shrimp paste, red curry paste, 2 units coffeecream instead of cocomilk, minitomatoes, for taste added and removed before serving some lemongrass and kaffirlemon curds, shots of fish sauce and sojasauce and when already, i add a the grated skin of of a kaffirlemon as topping, giving a very fresh taste and imho the green color of it makes everone looking like it would be alienfood:D

Thanks Frank.

Today as we meandered our way back home, we stopped in to see how the bunred down veggie market was coming along. They are kind of open (in a trailer) but very limited. Managed to get 25lbs of tomatoes for $10, 12lbs carrots for $10 and a 15lbs box of apples for free. The apples were free because the lady saw the expression on my face when I found out the carrots were actually $1.99lbs, not $0.99 as I thought.

Looks like I'll be doing some juicing before the game tomorrow. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1030.jpg
    IMG_1030.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1032.jpg
    IMG_1032.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 41
Got a beer
Good start.
Buffalo Chicken Bombs, Bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeno peppers, dried beef dip, crackers, cheese and salami, vegetables
All good in that line up. All about the offense, no 'D' happenin' there.
and blue cheese dip.
Ya, you seem to have just enough for today. ;)

Just enough time for a quick dog walk before kick off. See ya'll.