The food thread

It's February, so how about some home-made marmalade? Seville oranges, a lemon, sugar, water. Full of flavour and not too sweet.

100_0429.JPG

Here's a tasty treat. These are vada (pronounced wah' dah), a South Indian snack and breakfast food. You make the "batter" by soaking then grinding lentils (urad dal) in the blender with just enough water to almost let the blender work. Stop and scrape down the blender frequently. Add salt, chilies, onion, a little baking soda (for cheaters like me), and deep fry. I could eat these all day, served with a nice green coconut chutney.

100_0430.JPG 100_0432.JPG

BTW, I had these for the first time last year in Bangalore, couldn't stop thinking about them, finally made some last week.

Gravlax, as snack and also brekkie.

(H, it's even Kashrut, boy => Super book : Encyclopedia of Jewish food, Gil Marks, September 2K10, ISBN 9780470391303)

Salt, sugar, juniper berries, dille, a little extra, and a week in the fridge.
Chopping up a part within 3 days brinning makes a grand salmon tartare.
All that for $6/lb.

One of these days i'll bury one at the beach for tradition's sake.

Attachments

• GL.jpg
    GL.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
Last edited:
Scott -- aren't you revelling in kielbassa after the Packer's win?

My son buys a whole pig every year and has a sausage making party where he rents commercial equipment, unravling the casings is a favorite job. Brats are more my style but he does not make these and I've grown tired of arguing with local butchers, "that is NOT a Milwaukee Co. Stadium brat." Brats and PBR, that would have been my choice, then again I never tried a "kubassi and cheese fizz fondue".

Last edited:
Back to the topic at hand...saute 4 oz baby portobellos in olive oil add 4 oz fresh baby spinach with a bit of minced garlic and 1/4 white onion sliced; whip 5 eggs with a pinch of cayenne and pour into skillet; add the above and top with 6 slices romano tomato, generously grate sharp cheddar over then fold when outside is medium tan & crisping a bit.

kangaroo steak

Hi Eric, I would like to try it but around here we can't just get drunk and run them over in our Landcruisers. ;) The meat here is around 25 buckaroos per pound. Please tell me it's good enough to go for it.

and the herrings I caught yesterday are in a pickling solution - should be ready in a few days.

I'll give you my address. Please pack them well, it's a long flight.

Hi Eric, I would like to try it but around here we can't just get drunk and run them over in our Landcruisers. ;) The meat here is around 25 buckaroos per pound. Please tell me it's good enough to go for it.
Haha, we just go out the back door and grab one.... :p
The supermarkets here have Kangaroo fillets, steaks, sausages and rolled roasts for around AUS$12.00/kg.
Kangaroo is good tucker I reckon - cook fillets on the barbie until just well done and serve with salad.
It is very rich and filling so half the usual amount of beef steak is ample, also no fat whatsoever so you need to oil the bbq plate.

Funny story - a few years ago my Mum and I were in Denmark, and she went to the local supermarket and of all things kangaroo fillet was on special that week, even cheaper than here. The locals reckoned it was choice after they tried it for the first time.

I'll give you my address. Please pack them well, it's a long flight.
They won't last longer than five minutes around here, let alone a plane trip.
And besides, I don't trust your Customs Dept....no telling what they might confiscate. ;)
Do you have Ikea ?....plenty there and they are first class.

Cheers, Eric.

I love love love vada. Here, we get them with sambar, sort of crispy substitutes for idli.

Sambar, you say?

100_0431.JPG

Yeah, we got that too! And you're right, vada are great with sambar. Never tried my hand at cooking idli. Since the batter has to ferment, I figure they're like Belgian Lambic beer, you have to be in the right place to have the right mix of wild yeasts and bacteria naturally present. And I am many thousands of kilometers from the right place!