Go Back   Home > Forums > >

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

The food thread
The food thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2021, 12:32 PM   #16121
Black Stuart is offline Black Stuart  France
diyAudio Member

CW,
slow cooking does wonderful things for flavour, my Spanish chicken casserole I slow cook for at least 4 hours, so that the meat just falls away from the bone, just two small bay/laurel leaves give a wonderful undertone to the meal. Same goes for beef casserole, the longer the better.

I'd like opinions from those who have stumped up for one of the new hot air friers. The idea of frying without oil is very appealing - does it work and what does it do for flavour?
Old 13th June 2021, 12:46 PM   #16122
soundbrigade is offline soundbrigade  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to soundbrigade
Bought two "smokeboards" today - some kind of exotic wood onto which you place what ever you want to have smoked and place covered up on a grill.

Want to smoke some salmon as the fish shop sells VERY TASTY smoked salmon but at $30+ a kilo.

Have to find a way to do this job and I fear the local authorities will ban making fires due to the dry and warm weather.
I'll be back ...

Today: herrings i various gravy with fresh potatoes (the small ones are tastier) with real butter, a beer and a drop of vodka ...
Old 13th June 2021, 02:16 PM   #16123
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

The food thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart View Post
I'd like opinions from those who have stumped up for one of the new hot air friers. The idea of frying without oil is very appealing - does it work and what does it do for flavour?
Best thing we have done with our air-fryer, a Cuisinart, is breaded eggplant -- slice eggplant in 1/8 to 1/4" slices, season, dredge in egg wash, dip in a combination of panko and Parmesan cheese. Air fry until just tender.

This is much better than frying in vegetable or olive oil, much faster and crispier.
Old 13th June 2021, 03:58 PM   #16124
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

The food thread
Thanks for the advice, Jack!

We use a spritzer spray bottle when a teeny tiny amount (but not zero) of olive or grapeseed oil is needed.
Old 13th June 2021, 05:46 PM   #16125
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

The food thread
... What is this Grapeseed oil of which you speak?

Edit:
Dinner was excellent, meat fell apart, nice sauce with the right kind of red wine flavour, Brussels sprouts and carrots. Had oats instead of rice or potatoes.

Last edited by KaffiMann; 13th June 2021 at 05:48 PM.
Old 13th June 2021, 06:45 PM   #16126
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

The food thread
An air fryer will be your new best friend in the kitchen. Just make sure you get a big one. The small ones are frustrating.
Old 14th June 2021, 10:02 AM   #16127
Black Stuart is offline Black Stuart  France
diyAudio Member

jackinnj & CW,
OK I'm sold and yes big is always best. for over 30 years now we have always steam cooked all our veg. We managed to find a big double aluminium steamer, cooking for two or for friends the size of the steamer only becomes relevant then.

I cannot understand why here in Europe you can only buy a double steamer for use on a gas stove but all the electric steamers are always triples - bizarre.

For the first time in decades I got suckered into buying a 5 L bottle of rapeseed oil, because it was cheap (bad mistake). my wife lambasted me because when washing up she could'nt get rid of the bloody oil, never been a problem cooking with olive oil.

Kaffiman - grapeseed oil is common in southern Europe and is what it says. Brussels sprouts, my wife loves them but after spending two winters in Rotterdam and having to endure the stench of all the Dutch cooking them - I call it 'aversion therapy'.

soundbrigade - if your into smoking (food that is) do you or have you ever thought about smoking herrings to make kippers?

The world has heard about Loch Fyne and Isle of Man kippers but both blown away by the kippers produced by a small French company in Boulogne and what surprised me was to find that they use beech wood for the smoking. Absolutely juicy,sweet and succulent, not cheap but worth every penny. Then they sold out to a big French company who promptly stopped the production and all they do now is kipper fillets.
Old 14th June 2021, 10:59 AM   #16128
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

The food thread
I did not know about Grapeseed oil, by looking at the chart I do not see any immediate advantage.
Flavour profile is probably different, like anything else, but is it worth going out of your way to try this thing?
Vegetable oil - Wikipedia
Old 14th June 2021, 11:22 AM   #16129
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The food thread
we use rapeseed oil a lot, mainly as it can be made in uk unless most other oils. Never noticed a washing up problem compared with other oils.
Old 14th June 2021, 12:12 PM   #16130
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I am totally overstocked with Pollack right now. An underrated fish, IMO.

Never grows up to the size of a 40 pound Cod. In fact my Brother Chris holds the record for a Pollack. Around 4 pounds.

Imagine my surprise when my mate Alan delivered a small pair of 1 pound Pollack tonight. Gutted them, toptailed them, put them in the Freezer, and a good Dinner tomorrow.

I think Fishing is Cruel. But a Man has to eat.

Oven-cook them in oil and vinegar, under tin foil for twenty minutes and 200C, and you won't have an unhappy time. With Chips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pollocks.jpg (79.2 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Pollock Gutted and Toptailed.jpg (89.9 KB, 65 views)

The food threadHide this!Advertise here!