Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

The food thread
The food thread
The food thread Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2019, 09:29 PM   #12101
DPH is offline DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I've got one 100mm carbon knife (kind of a petty) and when it's honed up it's the sharpest thing in the arsenal, hands down. It's not a knife I have others use as the few times I have, it gets forgotten with water on it and I have to grind off the rust.

The Forschners are a good value, that's for sure! Sounds like you've got a good kit.
Old 22nd November 2019, 09:35 PM   #12102
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

The food thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffiMann View Post
If I could only have one knife, period. And not only in the kitchen. It would be something like the Sami knife.
That's fine for whittlin' around a campfire but not much good in the kitchen if your knuckles bottom out before the blade does. Great in the bush though.
This is the one I carry on my person at all times. I've never been asked more than once to donate to the street thugs.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 1.34.03 PM.png (439.5 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by Cal Weldon; 22nd November 2019 at 09:36 PM. Reason: deleted
Old 22nd November 2019, 09:54 PM   #12103
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

The food thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPH View Post
Yeah, I've got one 100mm carbon knife (kind of a petty) and when it's honed up it's the sharpest thing in the arsenal, hands down. It's not a knife I have others use as the few times I have, it gets forgotten with water on it and I have to grind off the rust.
If it gets rusty, and you dont mind some stains, soak it in really strong vinegar for a while. Sort of hardens the rust and stops it dead, dry it out for a few days after you sharpen it, then use a paper towel with regular food oil. Takes much more to start rusting again. Works for me.
Old 22nd November 2019, 10:10 PM   #12104
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The food thread
Quote:

I also enjoy hand sharpening as it's a form of meditation for me. Nice, quiet, in the zone time.

I likewise enjoy this when I get some spare time. But I also enjoy polishing shoes.

Quote:

Strop on cardboard or newspaper is my preferred method. Just enough grit to give a screaming edge.
I was close to making a leather strop out of an old belt then sliced half a fingernail off not taking care and decided the knife was sharp enough. It does need redoing now. Plain old sheffield steel for me.
Old 22nd November 2019, 10:48 PM   #12105
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Plain old sheffield steel for me.
As an art teacher said real kolinsky sable brushes won't improve your paintings.
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:19 PM   #12106
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The food thread
I'd never claim sheffield make the best chefs knives but they are certainly better than my cooking skills . Wife does hate taking me to cook shops as I drool over the expensive knives even if I know I will never buy one.
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:27 PM   #12107
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I find Sheffield knives to be very reasonably priced, certainly cheaper than Wüsthof if a bit limited in choice.

steak knives and kitchen knives Page 1
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:51 PM   #12108
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

The food thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
certainly better than my cooking skills . Wife does hate taking me to cook shops as I drool over the expensive knives even if I know I will never buy one.
Same here, except it doesn't matter which shop it is as long as it's not shoes, makeup or clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
That's fine for whittlin' around a campfire but not much good in the kitchen if your knuckles bottom out before the blade does. Great in the bush though.
This is the one I carry on my person at all times. I've never been asked more than once to donate to the street thugs.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of folding knives, a few of them have failed me. Much prefer a regular one, even a cheap classic Mora knife (which are great in most cases, and they can take a beating).

Last edited by KaffiMann; 22nd November 2019 at 11:54 PM.
Old 23rd November 2019, 12:13 AM   #12109
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

Derfy,

You need to take a good look at the edge of the blade after grinding, stroping or using a steel. There are differences not just from the method but also from the type of steel in the blade.

I wouldn't consider a stainless steel alloy to be in contention for a top grade blade. The Damascus style steels are of course the exception. One of my future projects may be to make some knife steel. It will have a core of a very hard but brittle alloy extremely thin. This will be clad with a slightly softer steel and then clad again in a protective alloy.

Kind of a project I can do locally but probably practical in only three or four other regions.

As to hand sharpening, I learned long ago the secret to doing it right. When done wrong there is a curve to the blade's edge.

I do have a bit of kit to sharpen tools. In grinders I go from about 80 grit wheels down to polishing wet stones (both flat and vertical) all the way to not just a leather stroping wheel but even a cloth one. It is needed to keep my tools sharp, but even so there are still some I have to send out. Yes I can even sharpen drill bits. (I keep from 1/32" to 5/8" stepping by 1/64" in stock, reordering most sizes by 12 pieces when running low.). ((Also quite a few metric and number size drill bits.))

Still haven't found a use for drill bits in cooking! But we did get off on sharpening and drill bits can be difficult requiring not just balanced edges but also proper angles depending on the material to be drilled.
Old 23rd November 2019, 10:41 AM   #12110
Fanatic
diyAudio Member

The food thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
Still haven't found a use for drill bits in cooking!
... Except as an easier, faster way to get to the coconut juice?

Cal, some form of Sami knife would still be my choice if I could have only 1 knife for the rest of my life. Not the best for any 1 particular task, but you can use it for shaving, for chopping off branches, for cooking, for skinning and parting, and just about anything else you need a knife for.

Here's a long one for you to scare off those whelps with:
https://www.marttiini.fi/epages/Mart...roducts/280015

The food threadHide this!Advertise here!