The food thread

Does anyone here have knowledge about the different breeds of plum tomatos? Our CSA farm has planted a smaller variety very bright red when ripe and with a good acidic edge. They are hard to slice when ripe they are so soft, this is what I remember from my grandmother's garden. They leave an intense pine oil smell on your hands when you pick them.

In Sunday's NYTimes Opinion section, Mark Bittmann had a long article describing the reasons that canned plum tomatoes are better than vine picked. You can get DOC San Marazano's at some NYC markets.

Tomatoes didn't make it here this year, but the peaches were outstanding.

In Sunday's NYTimes Opinion section, Mark Bittmann had a long article describing the reasons that canned plum tomatoes are better than vine picked.

I guess that's a universal truth Zimmern went to several Cajun locations where EVERYTHING except the meat was from a can or jar, condiments from squeez packets, yellow mustard, Heinz sweet pickle relish. I'm having a problem getting that article and the responses, I remain a sceptic which is my perogative.

As we discussed months ago according to current knowlege real Philli cheese steak must have cheese wiz.

what celebs eat

August 21, 2013 Having grasshopper tacos for dinner in Mexico City.

D5FWPU0.png

Dita Von Teese's photo "Having grasshopper tacos for ..." on WhoSay

https://twitter.com/DitaVonTeese

'yum!'

Last edited:
Chapulines? My kin are from northern Mexico but never was a staple in our diet.

Back on to San Marzano topic - I saw Rick Steves in Naples and he visited one locale for a some pizza. Anyone know if they prefer canned or fresh in Naples?

Found the Bittman article, supermarket tomatoes are picked unripe and are not good, DUH! The article included a bunch of industrial food appologism but it did not compare home grown (or sourced from local farmers) vine ripend tomatoes to canned.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Scott -

My wife is pressing me to plant San Marzano in the garden so that we can have fresh available for pizza.

SY - ahhh, I wonder if that is pure convenience, flavor preference, or if there are some who use fresh tomatoes in Naples. In Texas, as usual, we are quite blessed and can plant tomatoes twice in the year. :D

By the way, the Hatch peppers are great right now!

We have a few San Marzano vines in the garden, but nothing ripe yet. There's a tomato grower back in my old home who is doing superb San Marzanos, but if you want to run a pizza business more than 4 weeks a year, it's either canned or lousy winter tomatoes from greenhouses. The canned San Marzano DOP really are quite good.

HEB still selling the fresh roasted Hatch from in front of the store?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Do you know where Karina will go with this? She will be happy that canned is the way to go and then tell me since I know how to do home canning, that we'll grow our own SM tomatoes and can them ourselves. See, easy, right? :rolleyes:

Oh baby, you bet they had their Hatch fest going on! They even broadcasted it heavily on the radio. Hatch Fest is goin' strong! I thought about you and the missus when I heard the ad. :)

We have a few San Marzano vines in the garden, but nothing ripe yet. There's a tomato grower back in my old home who is doing superb San Marzanos, but if you want to run a pizza business more than 4 weeks a year, it's either canned or lousy winter tomatoes from greenhouses. The canned San Marzano DOP really are quite good.

HEB still selling the fresh roasted Hatch from in front of the store?

From seed?

Talk about tomatoe geek, this page is great.

Varieties San Marzano Tomatoes, List of San Marzano Tomatoes.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Now now, my friend. I just got off the phone with Guv. Perry and he has verified that your TX citizenship is still valid. You are free to come back as you wish, pardner. :D

The wife misses some of her distinctive Peruvian sauces and has found a source for her beloved aji (a hee). But she gets this bug to try native peppers.

She whipped up this sauce with yogurt, queso fresco, and chipotle peppers. It was actually quite good. We made up some fries and had a nice feast on that.