Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

The food thread
The food thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 03:24 PM   #11611
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffforrest View Post
Soggy Weetabix are an abomination!
It took a good 15-20 min to soak a bowl of shredded wheat good and proper.

I also leave the chunky bits of garnish out of all my pudding recipes.
Old Today, 03:40 PM   #11612
nezbleu is online now nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

The food thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Interestingly weetabix is an australian creation,

I always thought it was Canadian, glad to learn we are not to blame.
Old Today, 07:46 PM   #11613
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Just FYI the interior of eggs is no longer considered sterile.

Quote:
Not long ago, we didn't think twice about the safety of raw eggs. Eggnogs and Caesar salad were popular foods made with raw eggs. We knew that the surface of the eggshell could be contaminated, so we washed eggs before handling. But the inside of the egg was thought to be sterile or germ-free, so there were no worries about the safety of raw or lightly cooked eggs. Salmonella enteritidis changed all that!! These bacteria have been found inside the egg, making any raw egg a potential source of foodborne illness.
Old Today, 07:52 PM   #11614
nezbleu is online now nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

The food thread
Do you think handling and storage are factors? I get fresh eggs from a farmer's market and use them raw in Caesar salad from time to time, never had a problem but who knows? Mayonnaise haters must be smirking.
Old Today, 08:17 PM   #11615
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

The food thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezbleu View Post
I always thought it was Canadian
Wiki says the Aussies started the dastardly problem, the UK came up with a similar version and, being one of the colonies, it was forced onto our shores. Don't feel bad Nez. Many of us had it forced on us as children. Recovery has been slow, but the demons are almost purged.

Last edited by Cal Weldon; Today at 08:18 PM. Reason: fixed
Old Today, 08:25 PM   #11616
mountainman bob is online now mountainman bob  United States
diyAudio Member

Two raw eggs in a glass topped off with tomatoe juice/ v8 with liberal amounts to Tabasco sauce used to be my hangover cure.......back in the day it was 2-3+ times a week, never once got sick.
I think your immune system needs a constant workout to be tip top.....that is except for those that are immune compromised of course.
Old Today, 09:03 PM   #11617
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

The food thread
Not sure the raw eggs are the best recommendation. Them things hittin' the back of your throat at that point would do something serious to the gag reflex. I'm thinkin' that might undo all you were trying to accomplish.

Back in days of Saturday morning hangovers, we used to smoke a little bit of BC bud, grab a weak Bloody Mary and tell ourselves 'we will never do this again.' Noon comes around and we were back on the horse making sure those 'other guys' never out-did us.

To this day, I have people reminding me, they used to see us drinking beer or bloody mary's at 8am on the balcony, getting primed for NFL and CFL football is something they make sure I never forget.

That's why I use an alias name and avatar.

Oh wait.

Last edited by Cal Weldon; Today at 09:04 PM. Reason: fixed
Old Today, 09:13 PM   #11618
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The food thread
We had a bit of a salmonella scare in 1988. Caused a minister to have to resign. Since then legislation has been tightened up and eggs stamped with a lion are considered fit to eat raw.

The food threadHide this!Advertise here!