The food thread

Here is the last of the current one.
I also like to make salted ginger in oil.
And XO sauce.

Attachments

• IMG_0224.jpeg
    IMG_0224.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
If you can post a picture of the bread and list the proportions of each flour and water we can see what may help. Generally with whole wheat and spelt it creates a denser loaf. If its just going stale fast, keep the cut side covered in plastic wrap. Can also pre slice the entire loaf, put parchment between slices and freeze the whole thing. The parchment keep the slices from freezing together.
I'll be making some saturday night and will post some pictures. The current mix for the basic 1lb yeasted loaf is
12floz water
4oz organic malted flour (mix of normal flour, rye malted barley and malted wheat)
2oz dark rye
2oz spelt
2oz wholemeal
6oz lidl white flour
1tsp salt
4-5tsp sugar
1.5tsp dried yeast
1.5oz butter
handful of sesame seed and linseeds

All worked well until I switched to the organic form of the malted flour. In the past I have found organic flours just don't rise as well which I why I use the cheap strong white flour, but this is the first time I've hit bread that is quite so crumbly. Easy answer is to go back to the non-organic forms but that would be admitting failure and I just need to get my head around what I am getting wrong in the mix and which levers to pull.

I have sliced and frozen in the past but generally we get through a loaf in under 2 days in normal use so hasn't seemed worth the bother. And nothing gets wasted as I make breadcrumbs when it does fall apart.

75% hydration is a good number to be at, though with all the wholewheat flours you are using i think you may need to up the hydration a bit more. Try 80%. Rye, wholewheat, etc are very thirsty flours. You could try adding a bit of seitan to up the protein content a bit, too.

Also, how are you kneading this? If by hand, give it a good 5 minutes of heavy kneading at first. Machine, let it go for 7-8 minutes or more. Ive found that really developing the gluten in the beginning sets the tone for how it turns out in the end.

speaking of hot……apparently I’ve never actually had ‘authentic’ Indian cuisine because the takeout that my wife brought home last night from a trip to the nearby city (2hrs away) was a on a whole nuther level! She apparently told the feller to make the food the traditional way they would eat it……..yahhhhhhh……problem is it was so good it made you power through the tears and snot until it was gone! What I had was vindaloo (what I assume was pork?) over some Perfectly cooked jasmine rice and some kind of hot flat bread (coated with garlic and chilies)
Interesting thing was after eating way too much my insides weren’t distressed at all as with most other hot/spicy foods. Still hasn’t seen the exit ramp yet so my fingers are crossed!

Reactions: 1 users
Good that you powered through it Bob.
Vindaloo is a Goan dish, ie: Portugese. It's a type of curry and can include meat or not.
The flatbread you had was likely Naan.
Yes, many of the uninitiated will find it hot, both coming and going.
When I make it, I tend to cut back a little on the heat. I am not the man I used to be.

Reactions: 1 users
The official sign of spring. Lagunitas "The Waldos'" special ale. I patiently wait for this limited edition, limited release every year around April 1. They actually check the books of stores and only allow a certain amount to be ordered by stores based on their sales. I absolutely love this beer. Its usually gone by May, might find a 6er at some random neighborhood store around June 1, but never after that.

20240412_201557.jpg 20240412_201606.jpg

I had to drive back out to work at 7pm tonight because the landscapers left a gate unlocked, so the missus is making a meatloaf, mash and peas for dinner. One of my comfort foods, for sure.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
What I had was vindaloo (what I assume was pork?) over some Perfectly cooked jasmine rice and some kind of hot flat bread (coated with garlic and chilies)
You cannot get authentic vindaloo in the UK as over here the restaurants just take their standard curry and make it hotter. As pork isn't eaten much in India it is very much a Goan oddity from the portugese sailors who turned up with barrels of pork and garlic. If you did get a proper pork and garlic dish marinated in wine or vinegar you were very lucky.

It won't have been jasmine rice though. Indian food usually has basmati (and I should note I can't tell the uncooked grains apart)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Jasmine rice cooks faster than Basmati. It's also more aromatic.

We make plain Jasmine when we do Indonesian and Thai food. Sometimes we might add some mint into it.

OTOH, chez nous Basmati, about 95% of the time, gets butter and spices like turmeric.

You cannot get authentic vindaloo in the UK as over here the restaurants just take their standard curry and make it hotter. As pork isn't eaten much in India it is very much a Goan oddity from the portugese sailors who turned up with barrels of pork and garlic. If you did get a proper pork and garlic dish marinated in wine or vinegar you were very lucky.

It won't have been jasmine rice though. Indian food usually has basmati (and I should note I can't tell the uncooked grains apart)
Yah I believe it was the real deal as it was super garlicky and definitely tasted of some sort of marinade…..wasn’t vinegary though. I said jasmine but have no idea and wife just knew it was vindaloo…….long skinny grains and quite light. It hasn’t bothered anything on exit so i‘m a fan!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
On the bread front made a loaf saturday night with the same flour mix but a teeny bit less yeast and a teeny bit less sugar. Came out pretty well with just one area where it looks like it collapsed a bit on the final rise. So far so good. After 36 hours as I made the kids sarnies it was starting to crumble at the top. Taste and texture are spot on though.

Attachments

• IMG_0164.jpeg
    IMG_0164.jpeg
    560.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0165.jpeg
    IMG_0165.jpeg
    624.4 KB · Views: 3
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I really should have got in the habit of using a View attachment 1299403 meat thermometer. I'm always within a few minutes anyways, but it's a lot more restful to be sure of poultry before plating it.
Almost time for another batch of Chipotle sauce. I use it almost with any non dessert.

Real nice.

Nowadays I "cook" the chicken in the sous vide... 2 1/2 hours at 165F, then I finish it. Last night I had a large half chicken with salt, pepper, slices of oranges... in the bag.. Then I finished it for 10 minutes in the Air Fryer at 450F ( roast ) to let it get golden.

You never have to worry about bloody chicken!

Reactions: 2 users
All this pepper talk has me ready to reskin my greenhouse and try to get some of the hotter varieties to finish. 48` North and a cool environment has left me with great looking outdoor plants that failed to fruit 2 years out of 3. Cayenne and jalapenos are usually just fine.
Years ago we moved to a small town after developing a pretty substantial hotwing habit. Rather than face the unpleasantness of withdrawals, we started developing our own sauce mixes from store-bought offerings. We started with straight Franks and butter. The BW character was there but it was lacking. Trial and error lead us to adding sriracha. Simple as it is, the added complexity and kick proved a fam favorite and we're still using the basic mix 20 years later. Adding Thai sweet chili sauce produced a nice variant that we use on occasion but ~ inverting the sauce ratios lead to a nice glaze that we've enjoyed on pork and other chicken dishes. 2-3 brush applications while smoking a chicken is fantastic. I usually start brushing sauce when the bird is around halfway done. Adding whole chickens to the shopping list now that I'm thinking about it. Pedestrian compared to some of the food I see on this thread but its delicious, easy and hanging out managing the smoker means I'm not roped into a shopping trip or worse.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I recommend giving El Yucateco's SMOKED Habanero sauce (in the black bottle) a try. Surprisingly it's neither too hot nor too smoky. Sold in Mexican markets / carnicerias and (for a marked up price) on mexgrocer.com and amazon.com .

_

Attachments

• EYB.jpg
    EYB.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 2