Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

The food thread
The food thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 01:35 AM   #10191
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Early margarine in the USA was sold white with a dye to color it because of laws preventing it from being sold with the dye incorporated as it could be confused with butter (Can we say "Dairy Lobby"?).

How does this look for a start at Pate'?

Chicken Liver Pate Recipe - Jacques Pepin | Food & Wine
Old Today, 02:13 AM   #10192
chrisb is online now chrisb
diyAudio Member

Re my traipse down memory lane in last post - I’m pretty sure that dentists had (still have?) shares of candy companies in their (pre -fluoridation) investment portfolios.
Old Today, 03:04 AM   #10193
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

The food thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Mrs Frostís Corner store corner of Oak Bay/Foul Bay Rds
For me it was Mrs Mosher's, a triangular store at the intersection of Queen St, Birmingham St, and Artillery Place (gone now of course). I remember her counting out a dollar's worth of black balls into the paper sack. Also comic books, pop in glass bottles, and chips in foil bags!
Old Today, 03:31 AM   #10194
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

The food thread
Default Fun with lentils

While recovering ftom December's over indulgence (booze, lobster, mincemeat tarts, shortbreads, etc) we decided to have at least one veg night every week. One still needs protein, so that means pulses, legumes, beans, lentils.

Last week I made a dish of brown lentils cooked with finely diced leeks, celery, carrots, parsnips, squash, kale, and mushrooms with fresh herbs, a splash of vermouth, and all simmered in home made chicken stock. (Is the chicken stock cheating? I don't care, I never claimed to be vegetarian just reducing meat intake and increasing veg.) It was delicious served over couscous.

Tonight we went Indian, I cooked toor dal ("red" lentils which look like small yellow split peas, aka tuval dal) with carrot, potato, cabbage, kale, peppers and cauliflower, with lots of spice. Like sambar but no tamarind. Some of the peppers were ripe red jalapenos picked fresh from plants I have been growing from seed. Anyway served over plain basmati rice, tasty and spicy but not over the top.

Not sure what to cook next week, maybe something with chick peas.

Last edited by nezbleu; Today at 03:33 AM.
Old Today, 03:31 AM   #10195
chrisb is online now chrisb
diyAudio Member

For the first several months after Old Dutch introduced Salt Ďn Vinegar chips back in the mid -late 60s I think, the regenerative powers of the epithelial cells on inside of my cheeks were tested big time. I tried that brand recently, and letís just say something was lost with the passage of time. Miss Vickieís* or Kettle Foods, on the other hand do a pretty decent job with their hand-crafted batch production flavoured potato chips, both of which I am pleased to remind my wife are gluten free!
* their Sea Salt & Malt Vinegar, and Balsamic Vinegar & Sweet Onion flavours are among my favorite junk food snacks, of which Iíve tested rather more than I can remember.

The food threadHide this!Advertise here!