The food thread

So there I was minding my own business in the local veggie market when I heard 'pssst, hey mister' behind me.
Turned around and a rather shady looking character pointed to the boxes of tomatoes in the back corner. Making sure I wasn't being followed, I sauntered over and said ya? How much. He said 20 dollars. I said my mother's ghost will strike me down before I pay that kinda price. Look at them uglies. I called the lady of the house over. She said 12 bucks.
I said deal.
You know where this is leading. Another batch of fresh TJ.
Multiple step process this time.
Blender then mill for stage one. (Is that two?)
Take the leftover pulp and run it through the masticator for stage two. (whatever, I'm losing track)
Seems to get the most out of the 20 something pounds of tomatoes.
The pulp is the least I've seen of any batch so far.
Romas are not ideal for fresh juice but I'm a sucker for a back alley deal.
That yields about 15 litres of juice.

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpeg
    IMG_0147.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0148.jpeg
    IMG_0148.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Ripe coconuts are used in South India for making chutney, are added to gravies, and occasionally to 'Uddin Vada' (look that up).
Mostly after being shredded.

Ripe coconuts are also added to milk based sweets and chikki, among other things, and their water is mostly drunk by the cook or added to dishes like 'Appam' (similar to Sri Lanka hoppers), where it aids the dough fermentation process.
I think there are a myriad uses for ripe coconut flesh in food, a long topic which can be looked up by those interested.

When I lived in Bangalore, the tender coconut was chopped on top, juice consumed through a straw, and the vendor would cleave the empty nut, and give it back for us to scoop out the tender flesh, the 'spoon' was a bit of the outer shell (for want of a more correct word).
Totally ecologically friendly, very healthy.

Also, doctors in Third World countries have used the juice directly in IVs to revive patients, it is so pure.

The HB grill is an oversized panini maker of which we have (T-Fal) and love as well. Everything in its place. No better grilled cheese than from the double sided heated counter top grill. I love to take it camping. So versatile. Fresh meats, veggies, sandwiches, weiners, bacon. So good and so compact. Heating from both sides is so fast.
We”ve had this old George Foreman for probably 20 yrs or so, like you said makes the best grilled cheese.
Got to be careful though theres no regulation (just plug in and unplug when your done) your sandwich can get away from you if your not paying attention!
Cal I’m sorry to report my juicer allocations went towards a 14” concrete saw so I can get my patio finished b4 it gets too hot down here! Will get it eventually.

Attachments

• AC6FA999-7BD9-4DE3-A5A9-160097C3A523.jpeg
    AC6FA999-7BD9-4DE3-A5A9-160097C3A523.jpeg
    487.6 KB · Views: 17
Our air fryer gets used nearly as much as the microwave. I keep large bags of frozen tots or fries and the kids will make themselves a portion in a couple minutes that are way better than the microwave and more convenient than the oven. I roasted peanuts in the shell just the other day. Hot fresh peanuts are a great snack. Roasted garlic for other dishes not needing the oven, kale chips, flour tortilla chips or bowls for taco salad, roasting bones for stock or marrow. Lots of uses.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Bite your tongue young fella.
Well we all have to do capex/opex calculations on some things :). Unless of course you are a fully paid up member of the 'who dies with most toys wins'. I do have a friend like that. My wife is happy I did not like him move to the states permanently. He's just buying a new place which as far as I can tell has 6 acres full of coyotes and all the gophers you can eat. I was shocked when he told me how much replacing the septic system was.

Back on track. Tonight was Jam making. Kids have settled on strawberry for now which suits me as quick and easy to make. They finished the chocolate ice cream so need to make some vanilla over the weekend.

Oh and the bread pron has made me get experimental so been trying some rye added into the mix to see if the kids will still eat it. Experiment 1 good, 2 good. experiment 3 collapsed after rising a bit so I need to back the rye and wholemeal down an ounce* and add a dribble more water and see what comes out.

* everything is grams in the house except bread. I have the old fashioned scales and weights and it's just so much quicker to mix up 1lb of flour from the bags that way.

Reactions: 1 users
Try upping the water a bit, rye likes water. Also it's higher in amylase enzyme which will make it rise faster and peak time will be shorter. When I add rye in I generally back my target rise percentage down 5-10 so I don't overproof. Also, if you do overproof, add oil and make focaccia with it! I've done as much as 100% hydration with 50% rye bread and could still shape and handle it reasonably.

Speaking of which, I need to mix up some dough now.

It turns out my daughter and her husband have been make sourdough with their own starter. They are visiting in two weeks and bringing me some starter. We will make bread as a learning experience.
Good luck!
Keep water warm but not very hot when mixing flour with starter.
For better results use chlorine-free water.
During the kneading you let the dough rest for a while and repeat the kneading. Make sure to keep the dough covered with a film or a wet towel in between the kneading intervals. Do the same when you have finished kneading and leave for several hours in a warm place until it doubles in volume. For the final process described above, you have transferred the dough to the pan where you are going to bake it. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Before transferring it to the oven,make several deep holes in the dough,using a wide knife.Depending on the thickness of the doug bake it for an hour or more.
When the bread comes out of the oven, brush the top surface with water using a pastry brush.
Good appetite!

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Try upping the water a bit, rye likes water. Also it's higher in amylase enzyme which will make it rise faster and peak time will be shorter. When I add rye in I generally back my target rise percentage down 5-10 so I don't overproof. Also, if you do overproof, add oil and make focaccia with it! I've done as much as 100% hydration with 50% rye bread and could still shape and handle it reasonably.
Experiment 1 was with more water and rose beautifully but almost too well. There is a point where the bread crumbles after 2 days (and it gets to large to fit in the kids packed lunch boxes). So I am close. More importantly family stil eat it!

Reactions: 1 user
@mountainman bob I love how you refuse to act your age. You are a shining example to us all :)

BTW how big is this patio that it doesn't make sense to rent the saw?
Not food related but to answer your questions Bill, the patio is to be 30’x15’ with three 7’ block walls (will be more like courtyard setup) with paver stone under foot……..I reckon it kindly is food related as there will be a fireplace with a pizza oven above it and a open pit bbq to the side. As to renting vs buying, at the pace I move its much cheaper to buy, its only $350 for the saw and blade, it reviewed well and has a 90 day money back satisfaction warranty…..only problem is the blade shipped separately and has not arrived with no set delivery date!
On a more food related note all this sourdough talk had me talk a neighbor into bringing starter over Sunday for a tutorial…..they said I needed a dutch oven and since our other ones got left with the kids in NC when we moved south I went and got this from the hardware store yesterday, these dang things ain’t cheap…..$80!
As for not acting my age…….not quite ready for the rocking chair yet! I’ll be 60 soon and trying to get the big stuff out of the way before arthritis takes over fully!

Edit; before any smart aleck says ‘but Bob those are the wrong kind of block for a free standing wall’ I’ll explain that I got 700+ of them for $1 apiece so my redneck engineering degree says they’ll work just fine alternated the way they are stacked in that pile. The seam over brick part will be a little wonky but I believe we can gitter done! :cool:

Attachments

• BCD4A205-5B5B-4720-84BB-7F868AD3B705.jpeg
    BCD4A205-5B5B-4720-84BB-7F868AD3B705.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 7E91E2F5-9D3E-45F7-8600-14D2D15D5E89.jpeg
    7E91E2F5-9D3E-45F7-8600-14D2D15D5E89.jpeg
    586.1 KB · Views: 42
  • FF677EA8-D95C-494E-AA55-4E0708CA0383.jpeg
    FF677EA8-D95C-494E-AA55-4E0708CA0383.jpeg
    418.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited: