The food thread

Heat is not so much the Moroccan thing.

Example is pinchos morunos, pretty much standard all across Spain, from Granada and Sevilla to Bilbao. Lots of spices, but not hot.
In some parts of Catalunia, they'll burn your tongue.

Algerian cuisine is the one for heat, part of it, shatitha style. With the strongly mixed-up history of the nation, likely not deeply rooted.

(heat is relative. In my early '20s, I ate a soupe plate of Algerian chili sauce with a spoon. To demonstrate to a couple of Algerians I spent time with then, that their's is not so hotty, $10 bet. Got suckered by the kids here to do the same with 1/4gal mayo a number of years ago, for €1. The three day aftermath convinced me not to do a re-'run' ever again. Lousy challenged genes too.)

Last edited:
I'm in heaven

One of my favorite local chefs, who happens to hail from the same part of Austria as my grandparents, decided to open a casual first come first served restaurant only a mile away.

I'm blown away by seeing some of these dishes here, they are rare even in Milwaukee. Trentino blood pasta, yummy! I know he can pull the food off.

http://bronwynrestaurant.com/pdfs/bronwyn-restaurant-food-menu-05-13.pdf

No escaping the gene pool :clown:

Once every couple of years, I get a craving for blutwurst à la Flamande, with fried apples. Do buy artisan, not run of the mill. Kids here do the horror show every time.

(btw, peeping Tom likes the 5.8k third residential works. Shame there's such a lot of Bayview foreclosures, or so it appears)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I checked out the menu. Looks good! Even to someone with no German/Austrian roots.

Re. the documentary I watched on the history of the pepper, they claimed the Spaniards weren't too enamored with it..not nearly as much as gold.

Their claim was that it was the Portuguese that really propelled its use in the Old World.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Heat is not so much the Moroccan thing. You would be surprised after all Spanish cuisine owes a lot to the Moorish influence via North Africa. If you can find a remaindered copy of Paula Wolfert's first Moroccan cookbook, you will get an idea of the authentic artice. It was from the 70's when all the illegal ingredients were still in use. I bought it when I was obsessed with authenticity (Diane Kennedy's Mexican one is another example), these are recipies you really can't cook at home, but the adaptations can be great.

Yeah not too much heat but still, too spicy. I should know more because my parents are from the South, almost touching the coast, you just can't get more southern than that - without leaving Spain. My grandparents are from Galicia - at the very North. Totally different eating experience. I do live at the center, again, a completely different story. For some reason I haven't been to Africa - love some things and detest others so I'm still making up my mind if I should go there or not. What they eat there - a complete mystery to me. But I do love the bazaars.... the colors, the variety. Maybe I'm afraid that if I go there, I would stay there and never come back. After all, I like the tea and the hashish and I'm a very lazy person. Sounds like the perfect marriage to me - but then the heat, the pesky flies....can't make up my mind.

No escaping the gene pool :clown:

Once every couple of years, I get a craving for blutwurst à la Flamande, with fried apples. Do buy artisan, not run of the mill. Kids here do the horror show every time.

(btw, peeping Tom likes the 5.8k third residential works. Shame there's such a lot of Bayview foreclosures, or so it appears)

This place is near the Cambridge MA digs. Had two automobile double takes this month, in SF I walked out my door to see a "lady" driving a perfectly restored pink XJ6. In Cambridge not more than a block from my house at 8AM there was a Rasti with huge black dreadlocks talking to a couple of neighborhood kids from a brand new convertible Rolls ($500k).

The building continues nontheless, my wife and I have very thick skin with respect to living in mixed company a quality some of our friends don't share.

Last edited:
The restaurant law is that guests will eat one to poverty, and drink to riches.
So by definition, the best restaurant will be all-drink and no food.

You Europeans probably can't relate to our alcoholic beverage laws that actually in spirit date back to Puritan times. Up to the 80's you could find a fine restaurant here that had ONLY a BYO policy with no corkage because they had no license to sell. The most extreme case for me was Madeline Kamman's restaurant that was associated with her Newton MA cooking school. Top one or two star food and you had to bring your own wine (what a hardship :)).

Last edited:
one of the most neglected of vegetables: the eggplant.

You're kidding right? I am subjected to all 3 of the kinds we can get here more often than I care to admit. I have never liked it but for some reason, the loved ones around me do and seem to have it in their mind to try and convert me.

Wait, I forgot about those little green round ones. Make that 4 types.

My wife's eggplant parmigiana would bring tears to your eyes. It's seriously better than any I've ever had before. My baingan bharta (eggplant with tomatoes) would also bring tears to your eyes, but for a different reason- it would also bring fire to your... uhhh... soul the next day.

We grew those little green and white eggplants in Texas- terrific in Thai red curry.

Nothing like Baba Ganoush with mayo, and a Fizzy Bubblech.

(or hummus & chili paste on toast)

Attachments

• HotMus.JPG
    HotMus.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Dear Cal,

I'm not kidding: eggplant is God-sent...

I bet Cassiel can make some for you:

Berenjenas rellenas de carne picada. Receta de temporada - Recetasderechupete.com

Eggplant has its own oil so we can spare olive oil (if we want). The recipee with lamb or beef chopped and cooked on a separate pan, previously styr-fried with chopped onions (here we call this a "pino", similar to the one to make "empanadas" Empanada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and maybe even the own's eggplant "meat", salt to own's taste, is non-plus-ultra of dishes, IMHO. We cut the big black eggplant not in two but on the length of the belly, to get rid of most (though not all) of the "meat" of the fruit. Then fill it with the "pino".
Hot oven for...I don't know really; just to the point when they look tasty and gratined...but one has to have a taste for the sour flavor of the fruit's flesh and oil...it's the same as with the other super dish from extreme orient: the "filled or stuffed grape leaves" :lickface::lickface::lickface: I wasted the first 30 years of my live refusing to eat them, even gratis; now that my granma is gone, I have to beg to have them :crying:

Out for dinner...
M.