Just another Monty Python argument....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
pmkap said:
Hey Traderbam,

I’d appreciate it if you’d cease your denigration of the Librarian profession. A real Librarian is someone who has received a specific masters level education beyond the baccalaureate.
A competent librarian would never refer to an article without providing the article itself, or if there were copyright issues, the relevant subset under the ‘fair use’ provisos of national and international copyright laws.
You might feel free to take potshots at someone with this patently unfair characterization, but it only reflects your own lack of understanding. Certainly, like many other professions, the Librarian profession attracts their fair share of eccentrics, and I’m sorry if someone you assumed was a librarian scarred your youthful psyche…..
My wife is a research librarian and is a consummate professional.

planet10 said:

My mom did 3 extra years of study to get her Master's in Library Science... as more & more info floods over us, it is an even more important disipline than in the past.

dave

It is i confess, somewhat gratifying to see traderbam's sublime ignorance acknowledged by other members..:nod:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: Mark your calendars......

Jocko Homo said:
If it is to impress those of us who have built electronics for many years, well.......hate to tell you........we ain't impressed.
Jocko

..It is relatively easy to gain many years 'experiance' building solid state electronic projects that function after a fashion, without having much in-depth understanding of their workings...

This, it would appear, is your lot....:)

Mikek,

You continue to misconstrue what people wish to communicate to others. What I chastised Traderbam for was, when all is said and done, innocuous. He conveyed a stereotype that causes misperception, and is offensive (mildly) to few. Unfortunately, it is ingrained into Western culture, and is probably accepted by most of us. The fact that you would take such a mild rebuke, one that was only a correction of a commonly held perception, and use it to denigrate another's character is reprehensible.

Regardless of your obvious intellect, it is your mean spirited, massive bandwidth that continues to annoy me, and I assume, so many others. If you’ve nothing to learn here, why bother? One has only to compare your posts to AKSA’s to define, from context, the word ‘gentleman’.

The reason I addressed Traderbam was simply that in doing so, I saw the hope of correcting an unfair stereotype, a simple communication to a rational person. To engage with you, will only evoke that saw –

“Never wrestle with a pig,
You just get filthy,
And the pig enjoys it”

If your interpersonal skills are the result of Asperger’s Syndrome, please accept my apologies.

I refer the gentleman to my earlier question

Mike,

Since you won't answer (2) for whatever reason, here's (1) again, which you have so neatly sidestepped (again).

1. Why bother to do something if you can't hear the improvement?

have a firms product unfairly exposed to subjectivist and perforce, jaundiced and manifestly bogus 'scrutiny' thus???Never

You see even your reason for not telling doesn't make sense.

Commercial secrecy, NDA's with the manufacturer would make sense, but 'bogus scrutiny', 'subjective perforce'?

Mike this product, if it exists and is aimed at the HiFi market that I'm a customer of competes with other products in competitive demonstration. I audition any product the same, with open mind and ears, as will any other potential customer.

Anyone else smell a rat here?

Now answer the bloody question, or can't you find a reference work to call upon for a quote?

Andy.

..It is relatively easy to gain many years 'experiance' building solid state electronic projects that function after a fashion, without having much in-depth understanding of their workings...

Equally it would seem some people have the ability to absorb large amounts of theoretical knowledge, but by their actions and contributions here demonstrate a total abscence of the real world function and behaviour of a circuit.

Your wonderful amp is so good you could not hear the so-called improvement brought about by your preached topology - I wonder why :idea:

Andy.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: I refer the gentleman to my earlier question

ALW said:

1. Why bother to do something if you can't hear the improvement?

Why bother to improve on anything at all.......after all converting from single pole compensation to double pole, (one resistor+one extra cap.!!), for an order of magnitude reduction in THD at 20kHz...must cost £1 billion...right?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
ALW said:

Equally it would seem some people have the ability to absorb large amounts of theoretical knowledge, but by their actions and contributions here demonstrate a total abscence of the real world function and behaviour of a circuit.

Your wonderful amp is so good you could not hear the so-called improvement brought about by your preached topology - I wonder why :idea:

Andy.

please, don't plead ignorance of this:

http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12752&highlight=blind+listening+tests

:nod:

Mike,

Are you totally incapable of answering a direct and simple question?

What point are you trying to make re: listening tests?

There's 92 pages of crap there, and I'm buggered if I'm going to re-read it again!

Type a reply with some bloody substance for a change and tell us WTF you are on about :mad:

Andy.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: I refer the gentleman to my earlier question

ALW said:
Mike,

I audition any product the same, with open mind and ears, as will any other potential customer.

Am i to understand that rigorous auditioning for you consists of using your ears in uncontrolled listening 'tests'.....is that your of 'open mind' sceintific approach to determining the quality or lack of a piece of hi-fi.....??

ppppplllleaaaseeee!

http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12752&highlight=blind+listening+tests

:rolleyes:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
No....your ears....human ears...have been sceintificall shown to be notoriously unreliable arbiters of so-called quality of sound equipment.......proof everywhere.....

There is absolutely NO PROOF whatsoever of that, they are the measure of HiFi that has over-riding relevance, ultimately.

I assume, from the edit above, that when you buy a new CD, you feed it into a 'scope or analyser, rather than your ears, Mike?

Now stop dodging the original question, I do hope the mod's are watching this :)

Apologies to Librarians and their friends

I’d appreciate it if you’d cease your denigration of the Librarian profession.

Sorry about that - it was totally unintentional! I was continuing a theme from another thread where I suggested Mikek was a librarian due to his habit of quoting seemingly endless references to periodicals and journals. I did not intend in any way to denegrate the valuable and esteemed profession of the Librarian. Rather I was proposing a profession that most suited Mikek's posts. I concluded Librarian was the closest.

On relfection, my association of Mikek with librarians could be misconstrued and found to be somewhat insulting to librarians, so I hereby unreservedly retract it.

Yours,
BAM :Ouch: :ashamed:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.