Why Would Anyone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Word has it Austin is an excellent town for music. What say you SY? Them squeaky fiddles makin' happy sounds by you?

It is ungodly good here for live music, enough so to demotivate me about investing more in my stereo. This week, I'll catch George Carver and The Modern Agriculture (that's tonight), Seela, Southpaw Jones, and the Jeff Lofton Quartet. All in venues not much bigger than my living room and for minimal $$$. Don't think any of them have fiddles, but I will admit I'm partial to acoustic bluegrass.

It is ungodly good here for live music, enough so to demotivate me about investing more in my stereo. This week, I'll catch George Carver and The Modern Agriculture (that's tonight), Seela, Southpaw Jones, and the Jeff Lofton Quartet. All in venues not much bigger than my living room and for minimal $$$. Don't think any of them have fiddles, but I will admit I'm partial to acoustic bluegrass.

Very cool, enjoy!

FWIW Miracle Whip is a normal thing to serve with a donair/gyro pizza.

Ummmm....lucky it's about noon local.

sounds good here .

appreciation of the magical pie.

local (kansas city) pizzeria proprietor ( a Real Italian remaining unnamed)

says that No Real Italian ever makes a Pizza like a pie

and of corse, to each his/her/its own ...

current favorite store bought comes from here (not Italian) -

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Diala Pizza: 4097 19th Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94132 : We accept orders online.

not even close to 'italian'

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I bow to no-one in my appreciation of the magical pie. We pursue the Perfect Pie with all the zeal and fanaticism that some direct toward audio. Our car's license plate is PZA. We import Tipo Fino 00 flour and San Marzano DOP tomatoes from Italy. Our only kitchen decoration is a garish, flashing LED sign for a pizzeria.

So, all that said... mayo on pizza is wrong. Salsa on pizza is wrong. Pineapple on pizza is wrong. Someone may like it (god knows why), but the result cannot be called "pizza." Call it "pizzacotta" or "pizzoidish," it ain't pizza.

I have to agree with you on the toppings that should never be used on pizza.

Why do you import things that are available in any decent grocery store? There are at least 5 brands of San Marzano DOP tomatoes available here, including "organic". Since a friend of mine owns a large custom bakery, flower of any type is not a problem either.

The great thing about pizza in Texas is there are no restrictions on building coal-fired or wood-fired pizza ovens. None of that Yankee "we got the only coal-fired oven in town 'cuz it wuz grandfathered in."

John

My mother got upset when my sister burned peat.

FWIW, this is a better use for mayo than pizza:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm sorry but I bow to no-one in my appreciation of the magical pie. We pursue the Perfect Pie with all the zeal and fanaticism that some direct toward audio. Our car's license plate is PZA. We import Tipo Fino 00 flour and San Marzano DOP tomatoes from Italy. Our only kitchen decoration is a garish, flashing LED sign for a pizzeria.

So, all that said... mayo on pizza is wrong. Salsa on pizza is wrong. Pineapple on pizza is wrong. Someone may like it (god knows why), but the result cannot be called "pizza." Call it "pizzacotta" or "pizzoidish," it ain't pizza.

Hmm, Pizzeria Posto in Somerville does the same things you do, went there last night with a friend. Had no idea you were a pizza fanatic, regular staple in our household too. Next time you're in Boston it might be an option to consider.

I totally agree about mayo on pizza, but around here a pineapple and ham pizza is called a "Hawaiian" and I have always liked that combination, despite being pretty much a pizza traditionalist..

Kevin: "Fanatic" doesn't begin to describe it.

Steve, we tried several excellent domestic flours (particularly fond of Wheat Montana Unbleached), but we really got our best results with the Caputo Blue.

I'll ask David about that. His bakery supplies many of the higher end restaurant and hotels in the area, including some Italian ones. Different buyers demand different ingredients.

FWIW Miracle Whip is a normal thing to serve with a donair/gyro pizza.

Here in BC they use a garlic sauce along with the tzatziki and red chili sauce

The best pizza in the world...

Is made at my place.

says that No Real Italian ever makes a Pizza like a pie

That's right, never seen a deep dish pizza in Italy.

but around here a pineapple and ham pizza is called a "Hawaiian"

Yup here too. Not in Hawaii.

Actually I tend to agree with so much that SY says and does. He and I think very much along the same lines when it comes to cooking. Different ingredients mind you but the same madness. I tend to make a lot of non-traditional pizza style dishes. I just call them flatbreads. That allows you to use a cream base for your sauce as opposed to the more popular tomato when the desire hits.

Logical progression

at the pizza hut in target -

after this 'girl, on the left sat down, all my pictures were out of focus -

and a child split some stuff on the floor -

Last edited:
I used to cook for a chain called Philthy McNasty's and one pizza we made was called the BLT and it was cooked with the bacon and tomatoe and cheese,then the lettuce was tossed in mayo and topped the pizza before being served.... yes it was phenomenal till someone got "sick" from it... yeah..ok , anyways it was tasty!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.