What are you drinking?

This morning was coffee (though last night it was tea with honey and lemon as I'm a bit sick). Coffee was locally roasted for my son's marching band as a fundraiser.

Attachments

• IMG_4541.jpg
    IMG_4541.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 107
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well not so much what I am drinking but what I have been drinking over the last two weeks..... I'll let you guess where I've been ;)

Tony.

Attachments

• DSC_0875.jpg
    DSC_0875.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0621.jpg
    DSC_0621.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0588.jpg
    DSC_0588.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_0486.jpg
    DSC_0486.jpg
    488.9 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0365.jpg
    DSC_0365.jpg
    559.8 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_0159.jpg
    DSC_0159.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0119.jpg
    DSC_0119.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_9897.jpg
    DSC_9897.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_9681.jpg
    DSC_9681.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_9565.jpg
    DSC_9565.jpg
    647.6 KB · Views: 60
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Carlp, it's all good! The scotch was very smooth! The chinese white spirits are all pretty similar in flavour (very different to scotch or other western spirits). They do have subtle differences, the moutai is probably regarded as the best, though the Wuliangye is also very good. Just searching, and in Aus the wu lian gye is priced at around $250 per bottle and the Moutai at around $400 per bottle :eek:

The beers with the exception of the Tsing Tao IPA are all very light and refreshing. The IPA has a very strong flavour (which I like, but a lot of people would not).

I don't know what the 7th picture is. I thought I was going to be having a break from the alcohol consumption, we were eating in a restaurant with my wifes friend and I actually had a soy milk, thought I'd give the liver a rest, and a guy at the next table recognised my wifes friend (apparently he was the head guy for the local football fan club) he comes over, plonks the bottle down on the table (I thought so I could take a picture) goes off, comes back with a rather large glass and fills it half way and toasts me! After a bit I decided to get up and go toast him, and timing was good because just as I arrived the whole table was doing a toast, so I joined in :) when we were leaving I still had a good inch in the bottom of my glass so I went back for one more toast and did gun bei (bascially bottoms up, drink the lot). They were most impressed ;)

The blue bottle came in a large box with a picture of a rooster on it. I unfortunately didn't get a picture of that. I think it was disposed of before I got a chance. It was at a dinner thrown by one of my wifes cousins. It's a 2.5L bottle!!! They tried to get me drunk, I think I had at least 300mL of it. I believe it was the precursor to Moutai. That dinner was huge. I'll post a picture of the dining room.

Of the spirits here, most would be too expensive for me to consider buying myself. I was very fortunate to have had the opportunity to partake in so many extravagant dinners!

The Scotch was at my wifes cousins whiskey bar, quite the selection available (I just asked for his recommendation)!!

Tony.

Attachments

• DSC_0063_00001.jpg
    DSC_0063_00001.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC_0584_00001.jpg
    DSC_0584_00001.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
A bit of a cut'n'paste here, but it fits good here in this nice thread.

Cheers guys!
I'm toasting you all with my homebrewed half pilsner, quart sour ale and quart bayer, with a little bit of maple syrup thrown in for good measure.
attachment.php

I'll go fill up another beer... And take a picture of it!
Very happy with my primitive tap system., much easier than all those bottles!
Attached Thumbnails
attachment.php

Slight digression- favourites?

My other half is French but doesn't drink.. but her dad does however my love of French red was set well before we met.. I started on American wines! :)

Red wine (I have a scale :D)
1. Margaux
2. Pomerol / St. Emillion
3. A good Chateau du Pape (finding this is hard without $$$)
4. Rioja - got to love Tempranillo, it does fresh and with one vineyard having 100 year old vines, it can even do rasin vs sultanas taste differences.

Love the smoother rounded tastes, although for Italian food the sharper Italian wines go better.
I think the best bottle I've had has been a bottle of Chateau Durfort-Vivens Margaux 2006 (so 13 years old at the time of drinking) it was stood upright the night before, opened 7 hours ahead of time, and decanted into my wide base decanter a few hours before a bbq (only two drinking). The bottle I bought for my parents, they left it in the back of the cupboard and gave it back to be when they gave up alcohol.
The BBQ had local butcher cut steak (no point having a good bottle and just buying steak at the supermarket)..
It made the next bottle taste like gearbox oil and in pure enjoyment beat the bottles of Cheval Blanc 2003 I've had in the past. The CB taste was 3D you could taste three things - almost like three wines at once but distinct - pomerol, st.emillion and the mineral taste like Chablis. However the Margaux was smooth as silk, juicy like young wine but deep at the same time. My god it was good, details but didn't need to be analysed.
Normally I just buy from the local French supermarket and keep about 15 bottles, which works well as I only get to drink when entertaining!

Champagne
1. Jaquesson No 736 - 1.5g dosing it's bone dry and stunning. Balanced taste
2. Bollinger RD - think you're paying for the Bolly name but has the bombastic taste (opposite of Tattinger). RD is Bollinger's extra dry made to a vintage rather than house taste so it varies a little with vintage.

A mate who is a little bit of a wine officinado (he seriously considered doing a full course on wine production, is a member of a wine society and goes to tastings etc) bought me a bottle of 736 for my 40th, knowing I like bone dry. It's a find.. cheaper than the big names and exceptional taste.

White wine
I don't mind a good white - for me Sancerre and Chablis are up there but normally with food rather than by itself.

And other things..
Congac - Remi Martin XO - yes please, warmed in the glass with a good end of meal coffee.
A smooth Scottish Single Malt - Speyside (Glenrothes for example which is without/low peat) or Islay. Of the Islay distilleries I like the "try new ideas" of Bruichladdich - they did a 2000 year old grain genius - they send me a sample as I asked for brewing full grain beer. Compared to modern grain it's has about 3 times the husk so less economical but you get miles more Taste. Their whisky batches vary so you may get subtle differences between two bottles of the same whisky but from different batches which I quite like.

Last edited: