What are you drinking?

From Minas Gerais, best spirit makers here.

Attachments

• Pinga.jpg
    Pinga.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 90
Just finished filtering this week's batch of Jim's Iced Cowboy Coffee, and the first glass was about the best I've ever tasted. Rich, caramel flavor, perfectly balanced. And it hasn't even "aged" in the fridge yet; it will only get better in the coming days. It was so good I treated myself to another glass shortly after. It was also nice, but not quite the same.

This has got me thinking about the delicate balance between the simple ingredients in this drink: water, coffee, dairy, sweetener. The water/coffee ratio has been settled for some time now (not too thin, not too overwhelming), and is easily repeatable with the process I use. I recently started measuring the sweetener (saccharin), since I require only a very small amount, much less than a standard packet of the stuff. This has improved the flavor consistency, The remaining variable I haven't so far addressed is the dairy - I've been just pouring a bit of half & half in. I guess I'll try measuring that as well. The thing is, I really would enjoy being able to duplicate this morning's results more frequently.

Conclusion: I think I'm becoming a bit of a measurement nerd as I get older. Anyone else experiencing this? Or maybe you find yourself going in the opposite direction?

I used to think so, too. But I've experimented with many different kinds of sweeteners, natural and otherwise, and have recently come back around to it. I think the main problem has been simply using too much; it's pretty strong stuff. Down at 1/4 level teaspoon per 10 oz. serving, it tastes better to me than anything else I've tried so far.

I'm surprised you don't roast your own day.
I have studied the process by resources online and will maybe get around to giving it a try one day.

I'm not 'anal' about my coffee as seems to be the fashion, organic means that it is less likely to contain agrochemical 'nasties' that my mind/body recognises and does not tolerate due to overexposure in a previous lifetime.
I drink/use only purified water for associated reasons....IMHO drinking municipal water is one of the craziest things one could do, and showering is suspect.

I find organic coffees to be calming and soothing and with a 'wholesome' taste...a cup before bedtime and I sleep the deepest sleep.
I find standard coffees can be quite the opposite, with a 'bitter' taste that does not belong and effect of 'false' awakening/excitement/'wired'ness....regular multiple daily doses of amphetamine mimics anybody ?.

My experience with agrochemicals produced a similar effect in the earlier stages of repeated minute exposures, longer term leads to bodily 'allergic' reaction and a collection of other effects and sensitivities....I am still getting such junk out of my system, I am in large part there but not yet completed, and I am definitely infinitely the wiser for the experience.

The other morning I burned the toast that was to be part of my breakfast.
These two pumpkinseed/wholegrain slices were the very last that I had so I decided to include them anyway.
At the same time I brewed my usual morning black coffee, took a bite of the toast and then a sip of the coffee.....and then it struck me, in a blind test one might be hard pressed to tell the difference, seriously.
Ok not quite perhaps, but they are remarkably similar.
The modern Barista/Hipster movement makes me chuckle, much ado about nothing.

Dan.

Last edited:
When I was 27 I had trouble with my gall bladder.
One thing at that time I struggled with was coffee, even instant.
I had to drink it really weak or it upset my stomach.
I went to buy a car one day and after the sale went through I was offered a coffee.
To be polite I said ok. About half an hour later I was doubled up in agony with stomach pains.
After I had my gall bladder out coffee still upset my stomach unless it was weak.
After 30 years I can now manage about half a spoonful of coffee before getting an upset stomach.
Oddly spicy food doesn't bother my stomach much but strong coffee does.

> (saccharin) Has always tasted nasty to me.
Yep, me too and other 'sweetners' including Stevia to me produce bitter aftertaste.

I used to think so, too. But I've experimented with many different kinds of sweeteners, natural and otherwise, and have recently come back around to it. I think the main problem has been simply using too much; it's pretty strong stuff. Down at 1/4 level teaspoon per 10 oz. serving, it tastes better to me than anything else I've tried so far.
I am indifferent regarding whitener (non homogenised 'organic' milk) and use it some of the time, most of the time I drink my coffee black.
For me such milk provides plenty of sweetening and I never use artificial or natural/refined sweeteners or sugars.

Jim, you could do yourself a favour and try organic coffee 'au naturel' made with pure/distilled water.....at first it may not be to your liking, but IME after only a few cups added sugars/sweeteners/whiteners taste distinctly foreign and serve to spoil the experience.

In truth we all habitually add sweeteners to tea/coffee because we were introduced as infants and this becomes our 'normal'.
If none of us were so introduced we would probably all shun the use of sweeteners, more particularly the artificial kinds.

Dan.