What are you drinking?

To add to that, you live in an odd country, where imported beer from Thailand is cheaper than craftbeer brewed in Norway ...

:)
That's part of why I brew it myself.
The real explanation is I made a comment a while back saying:"If there is one thing I can be self sufficient in, it must be alcohol."

Do not say things without meaning to. So far it's going very good, apart from pleading my wife to get some aquavit for the Christmas dinner. We do not drink much on Christmas eve, but 1 or 2 small glasses of Aquavit just has to be there, tradition and all that. I interpret it as I am allowed to be gifted alcohol, it is not the same as a purchase. :)

Edit:
I also have a standing requirement that we always have some good Cognac in the waffles, it brings a lot of interesting small flavors about, all the alcohol is gone after they are heated ofcourse. One bottle of good Superior XO lasts a long time, I do drink a little bit in a single glass maybe 1 or 2 times a year on special occassions only. I thank my brother for the Cognac :)

Last edited:
2013-06-24-22.16.04.jpg

Have to try our Norwwegian friends bring a bottle next time will pass us by.

Very good :)

I go for the Braastad XO Superior myself. Value for money, not the most expensive or fanciest, but pretty good.

Tried a little bit of small scale fractional freezing on my blueberry wine, it felt really strong at first, but after a few months I mistook it from a regular wine, it was so smooth. Got wasted. Unintended.

Last edited:
I usually try to stop and excuse myself when I see casual victims of conversation glaze over and look for an easy way out.

Do not remember the last time I purchased any Pilsner.

Yes being very sensitive to the body language of others is something you have to get used to. You also have to learn not to be too self critical especially when that critical moment happens where everyone stops talking and stares at each other (what to say next?).

OTOH I love a good Pilsner golden, sharp, bitter, and hoppy. :)

I have heard ultra vacu-packing is better from some people. Freezing slows down oxidation but no oxygen is even better.

I just stick with roasting myself (with a popcorn popper no less!) and drinking it in the best window (needs a couple days rest). Sweet Maria's like theGimp

As far as what I drank recently, small brewery here in Portland made a quite decent saison. (Back Pedal -- forgot which one it was)

Last edited:
I think mine is an older Presto Poplite? (the kind where you have the gigantic plastic chute at the top?) I take said plastic cover off and jam a 28 oz tomato can (with both ends cut off) in the opening to extend the "chimney". The hot air vent on the bottom helps tumble/stir the beans and I hold the whole apparatus with some pot holders and shake it gently (greater stirring!) until the first crack, then rather aggressively until just before the second crack (the greater the shaking the more hot air bypasses the beans, slowing the roast rate, which seems to improve the flavor when done between 1st and 2nd crack)

Last edited:
I was interested in home roasting when I was doing espresso; but it was probably always gonna be a non-starter as I live in an apartment. :) As a typical gearhead, it did seem like a good way to complicate the whole process even further, heh. I had done a couple of modifications to both my espresso machine and grinder (DiyCoffee!), and I was reading up a lot on modifying hot air poppers to slow the roast, etc. But fate (and the doctor) intervened.

So, what kind of brewing do you prefer with your home-roasted beans?

Yes being very sensitive to the body language of others is something you have to get used to. You also have to learn not to be too self critical especially when that critical moment happens where everyone stops talking and stares at each other (what to say next?).

OTOH I love a good Pilsner golden, sharp, bitter, and hoppy. :)

Do not know if it's being self critical or just trying to be aware of surroundings and behaviour of people because I am just very dense about those things. But when those quiet moments in discussion arrive I just excuse myself that there is someone else I should chat with, do hope to see you again and so on, it was interesting etc etc. Then just aim for a likeminded individual that often get caught in the same scenario and go for a classic "shoot the breeze" type discussion. They see it as a relief also, not having to pretend, but you cannot do that with any random person, it's just trying to be aware what else is going on. Just trying to fake handling social occassions when I'd much rather be by myself and read about electronics, politics, do calculations and such.

There are good pilsners about and ipa is sort of popular, but I just prefer bayers, weissbier, sour beer, porter and classic ale to those, so they are a bit low on my priority list.

Edit:
Oh! And I forgot about bock ale! There are some really good bock, and also doppelbock ale's about!

Last edited:
When you roast coffee beans, heat may be kills moulds, but toxins they already released are still there... As well as pesticides and herbicides...

Indeed, but there is a potential for this in a vast number of food items. Especially since you do not have complete and utter control over all the processes yourself, there is no way to know how many of those toxins you enrich your existence with every single day.

May very well be the coffee beans had mould on them, it was washed off and dried before it was sent to inspection at the roasting facility or whatever it's called. We, the "coffee consumers of the rich lands" have very little control over the things we stuff into our feed holes.

I bought some Luwak coffee in Bali a few weeks back, which is a fox-like creature eating the berries of the coffee trees, crapping them out, the "produce" is gathered, washed, dried and roasted. I bought the whole roasted beans that went through this lenghty process. For some reason it sort of tastes like coffee, you know the flavor? :)
It's a bit more expensive though, and for some reason I did not feel like I had been drinking any coffee and needed to satisfy my caffeiene craving with another pot of brew.

There was a difference, and it was interesting to give it a try, but it's just like all the other expensive stuff, interesting, but does not compete with good 'ol simple flavors done right. I should have eaten some of the berries from the tree though, maybe that would be a "fresher" experience. :)

Edit:
Maybe it would be something to run the berries through a fermentation process? Maybe add some lactose bacteria to the mix for a more complex flavor, clean and dry off the beans before roasting, serve the fermented brew on the side for comparison.

Last edited: