Go Back   Home > Forums > >

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

What are you drinking?
What are you drinking?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2021, 08:29 PM   #3101
soundbrigade is offline soundbrigade  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to soundbrigade
I like single malt myself but I have stuck to bourbon as there are kinds of bourbon with a very bold attitude that is comparable with smokey single-malt.

Tonite I had a Rum & Cola.
Old Yesterday, 01:17 AM   #3102
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Cal, sorry for the delayed reply, but as regards to my retirement; I think I’m enjoying it more than my wife thought she would - or at least most recently.
About 3 weeks ago she took a tumble while we were hiking together on the type of path she very frequently takes alone. Fell on her left side, dislocated her left shoulder and suffered 3 fractures to humerus that required repair with plate / screws. She said worse pain than either childbirth, and of course no man can relate to that subjective measure.
Thankfully it was not her dominant hand side.
Estimated recovery between 6-8 weeks before attempting any type of physio, so that means she’s relying on me for the cooking, laundry, vacuuming, gardening, driving etc. Within the last week she’s regained enough clarity after weaning off the surgical anesthetic and pain killers to be bored AF, and while still appreciative, also more critical, so there’s that.
edit: yeah, the homemade Chardonnay has for some reason taken an accelerated consumption rate these past several weeks, so that’s what Chris is drinking. That, and a bottle of that nice Philips Fermentorium Stump Gin.

Last edited by chrisb; Yesterday at 01:22 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM   #3103
Black Stuart is offline Black Stuart  France
diyAudio Member

Kjelsen,
$80 for a bottle of rum - outrageous. The best rums without a doubt are from Cuba and the Dominican Republic, they both age their rums in old sherry barrels not dissimilar to a Spey malt. In Spain a 7 year old bottle will be around €18.

I remember in 68 with my friend Brian we had arrived in Madrid at the beginning of March on our way down to Almeria to work as extras on a film about General Patton and went out the first evening and I ordered a 'Cuba Libre'. The barman was having an intense conversation with someone and was'nt watching what he was doing and he poured a tall glass almost full of white rum. He was'nt really bothered by this as the rum was cheaper than Coca-Cola.

Chrisb, I would have agreed with you until 2010 and then I had both sciatic nerves in play lifting a lot of weight badly. In Spain only 2 years earlier I got flipped over a bridge by a stupid young woman driver whilst out running and was lucky to only have 3 broken ribs and yes I got a cold but this pain was as nothing compared to the sciatic pain. Every time I needed to get up out of an armchair I had to prepare my mind for the pain that I knew would be coming. Sciatic pain can be so bad that people have committed suicide.

As your wife suffered 3 fractures to one bone was she checked for osteoporosis. One Christmas eve we were on our way out to do some last minute shopping and she missed her footing on a curb and suffered a spiral fracture to her right humerus. I did'nt think the fall was bad enough to create so much damage, so made her ask the question abio The medics in Galicia did'nt think so, however when my wife had occasion to visit a general hospital in Granada, she was sent for tests and immediately started on treatment.
Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM   #3104
Kjeldsen is offline Kjeldsen  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I can buy Havana Club Añejo 7 Años for 24€. Not really in the league of great rum like ron cartavio xo
Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM   #3105
diyAudio Member

I can buy a 3l BiB Premium Rum, locally produced (Vänersborg Sweden) at €34 ...

I am not a rum-man really, just use t for long drinks, so I am not looking for the best of the best.
Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM   #3106
Black Stuart is offline Black Stuart  France
diyAudio Member

Kjeldsen - I like value for money.

Has anyone tried Inca Pisco? the brother of a friend was a junior officer in the merchant marine and had come back from Peru and brought a bottle with him. they drain alcohol through a particular plant that has 'properties' a very strange night ensued and the next day I had to take a bunch of flowers and an apology to a buxom barmaid at my local. They also make it in Barcelona but it's not the same stuff.
Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM   #3107
diyAudio Member

I've got a bottle of Pisco, still not opened. I'd guess it was very much like Cachaca.

What are you drinking?Hide this!Advertise here!