The American myth, land of the free and so on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been through the desert on a horse with no name

"sorry fred, i never was in dallas. and in the momentary climate i prefer to avoid going into usa... as far as i know texas is a big pile dry soil/dust."

I thought you would be interested in the armadillos burrowing in the sand dune behind my house as I write. I will send a picture of the next sandstorm. One will surely occur within the next week.

Attachments

• armadillos.jpg
    armadillos.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 503
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Jazz music?

Yes, Sir.

And please, oh please don't allow them to touch any of our classical music...they can only mess it up.
And they will...

No culture, no value...just a gun in their hand ready to shoot all that disagree...that, is America.

Brace yousrelf, five years from now you'll be living the same nightmare.

The American dream ?:rolleyes:

fdegrove said:

Anything America or it's "culture" has ever done is degrade whatever Europe had.
That so called American Culture has no, I repeat no value at all.

The only thing they want you to do is to consume...ad infinitum.

Cheers,

;)
from a country which has been run over twice by your brethren to the East, an interesting comment. We didn't give the world Napoleon, Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini -- strictly your own invention.

and as one who had an uncle lose a leg in defense of your country, sit on it and spin.

Frank,
You surely did miss the fact that the original post was pure satire and used it only to turn in a tirade of your own against the US. You hate the US, no problem. These days there is no doubt that we deserve it. Don't make the mistake that there aren't plenty of citizens over here who are as disgusted as you. Don't believe that all we have to do is rise up and things will change either. All things must make their cycles, and the right wing BS cycle were in will have to take it's course as well. We may be screwed, so be it.
Don't stand on a purist soapbox from europe however. It has been pointed out to you that we are the same blood as you, our institutions and cultures are directly related, and I can assure you that for every absurdity that our country has and will take part in, there will be a direct counterpart to be found in european history. History repeats itself ad nauseum. Don't be so shortsighted yourself as to think you are from a land where there has been only wisdom and not horrible political and humanitarian folly. If you do believe so, let me refer you to a few history books.
Meanwhile, keep up the anti-americanism. We need it for our own good. I will do the same.

Tim S.
(human of germanic blood living in the region of the world called TEXAS)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: SWINES?

fdegrove said:
From a European point of view nothing ever remotely "cultural" ever came from the US...

Frank,
Culture:

a. The totality of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and thought.
b. These patterns, traits, and products considered as the expression of a particular period, class, community, or population: Edwardian culture; Japanese culture; the culture of poverty.
c. These patterns, traits, and products considered with respect to a particular category, such as a field, subject, or mode of expression: religious culture in the Middle Ages; musical culture; oral culture.
d. The predominating attitudes and behavior that characterize the functioning of a group or organization.

Culture in itself is not something good or bad... it just is. There are many "cultures" in America and in Europe and in every other geographic, geopolitical, geocategorical... subset of the human population you choose to select...

Your extreme bigotness and lumping of an entire subset of 300+ million very diverse people is an insult to the entire forum. And you not only said it in one post, you emphasized it in many posts... bang, bang, bang.

I will not put up with this. Hence http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=189416#post189416

dave :captain:

I thought you would be interested in the armadillos burrowing in the sand dune behind my house as I write.

Possum on the half shell!

When driving back from New Orleans recently, I saw not one, but two six foot long alligators run over in the middle of I-10 on the east side of Ponchetrane. What a mess!

This is pretty exotic stuff for a kid who grew up in the “great white north”.

Texas...

Funny thing about Texas. I imagine that there are few places in the world that have more differing people. I am willing to bet that no place in Europe is even close - perhaps only NY or California could be compared. In each of those states, our schools typically teach 100's of languages to children until they learn English (or what passes for it in Texas).

Not only that, for a podunk place, its citizens travel the world. Sure Europeans see other countries - its pretty easy when another country is next door. And I mean next door. Texas is bigger in area than France. And when you realize that the vast majority of the citizens of the world will never travel more than 30 miles from their birth place, its a pretty different place.

I have always joked that when some US citizens are taken hostage, its a pretty good bet that one of them will be from Texas. I suspect that this is related to the energy business, along with semiconductors, computers, agriculture, and the thousands of other types of business - I do know this, that when considered against the average, folks from Texas are likely to move about. We are as likely to be ex-pats somewhere. And I consider myself one, living here in Washington DC.

Why? Because it is a place that teaches cultural pride - It is the Six Flag state still because it recognizes the influences of the people who have immigrated there - albeit from Europe, Asia, Central and South America or some other god forsaken place in N. America. And being raised in that culture, I would hate to live in one of the mono-cultures, with a mono-people (well except maybe the guest workers). Because I believe more than any other place in the world, Texas does value where ever you might be from.

<Hey, what happened to Frank?

My guess is that he is busy packing his bags for Amerika. Perhaps he got an insight that with his shortsightedness and prejudice he would be a great neo-conservative, and what better place to be one of those than right here?
:eek:

fdegrove said:
My point however was that there's nothing "cultural" in the US to be found.
For an amusing and satirical (and tongue-in-cheek) parody of the American way of life and culture from an English point of view, have a look at the video clip of the Eurythmics' "King and Queen of America". VERY well worth a look.

/Circlotron- a safe distance away in Oz, the land of so much culture we have it coming out of our ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.