The Best Movies Ever Made

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
God's little acre -

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The novel was so controversial,

that a literary board in New York attempted to censor it,

leading to the author's arrest and trial for obscenity.

God's Little Acre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God's_Little_Acre_(film)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

2985 views -

The Mirror (original: Zerkalo)

A fascinant trip into the the meanders of memory and nostalgia.

You ought to see Stalker as well. If you like art, Andrey Rublyov is more than worthwhile, one of my top three, and if you are interested in WWII, Ivan's Childhood shouldn't be missed. If you haven't noticed by now, I'm a huge fan of Tarkovsky. I even bought Bjork's Volta to hear "Dull Flame of Desire", (YouTube - Dull Flame Of Desire by Björk , with Antony Hegarty) the lyrics of which are taken from Tyuchev's poem that was used in Stalker.

My other favorite directors are Dreyer, Kurosawa, and Renoir among others.

John

PS, loved God's Little Acre, too. Steamy stuff with Michael Landon as a teenaged albino.

Last edited:
I too saw Avatar in 3D, but it's in the wrong thread - it belongs over under "The Worst Movies Ever Made".

Whilst the 3D effect is stunning, the rest of the film (plot, characterisation, acting, editing etc) was garbage. It was too long, too facile and too much like watching Pocahontas with blue people, or Fern Gully with gunships.

2 stars. One star for the visuals, one star for the scene with a mech jumping from an exploding gunship. The rest of the film attracts no stars at all.

best movies ever made..

subjective answer of course..

Space Odyssey
2010 - the year they made contact
Contact ( Jody Foster)
The Dinner Game (French title = le jeu)
Casablanca
Women on the verge of a nervous breakdown (original title = Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios )
Kika
The hunt for red October
Atame
Lolita (1962)
and last but not least Merry Christmas Mister Lawrence

Jean-Pierre

In Germany it's tradition to watch "Dinner For One" at New Year's Eve. It's a really hilarious sketch in English, created and performed by Freddie Frinton. For some unknown reasons barely one Englishman knows it.
"The same procedure as last year, Miss Sophie?" - "The same procedure as every year, James!" :)
Happy New Year!

Hate to say it but the English dont watch it because its not funny to them. I watched this with a room full of Germans and just didnt get it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.