The Best Movies Ever Made

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can't imagine I.B.in a sanitized airline version. Did it run about 30 minutes? ;)
The accents were not that annoying to me, accept Pitt. Who kept getting it right, then wrong, then right, then wrong.
I saw it as a fantasy romp, that's all. Like all of Q.T's stuff. Always OTT - but I enjoy that.

Of course IB was a fantasy romp (no more than in the history books though), much of it improbable, for example, the Third Reich allowing all of its key players to be in one small place without a thorough search through the theater for bombs and the obviously flammable cellulite. The Third Reich would have put security all over the place if this was real and no one would have been able to move through the theater without being watched. (esp in light of the terror the IB's were inflicting on German soldiers in France)

But in fiction we see reality as well. One thing, war is never what it seems and many movies do not expose this. The story the folks got back home would have never been close to what actually happened - in fact no living person actually knew what happened except for the black assistant who would never have been given any credibility.

In the fiction we see some truths about war as well as anything else.

Scott, have you read 'The 5 Rings? If you have, then perhaps you should then go on to read Kurosawa's early history with his older brother, the film projectionist. This is where he saw the Zorro films. Musashi, if he were here, would laugh at many of Toshiro Mifune's incidents, including some in 'Samurai' 1-3.

Scott, have you read 'The 5 Rings? If you have, then perhaps you should then go on to read Kurosawa's early history with his older brother, the film projectionist. This is where he saw the Zorro films. Musashi, if he were here, would laugh at many of Toshiro Mifune's incidents, including some in 'Samurai' 1-3.

Yes, there is also a fairly scholarly recent bio of Musashi. Like many of these colorful people there is a lot of exageration and legends.

Well the ending is still silly. Eastwood should have emerged from the smoke guns blazing and decked out in a full Ned Kelly (a stupidly revered Australian bushranger) outfit.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ned Kelly's "Jerildarie Letter" addressed to the people of Australia in 1879:

Port McQuarrie Toweringabbie Norfolk Island and Emu plains in those places of tyranny and condemnation many a blooming Irish man rather than subdue to the Saxon yoke were flogged to death and bravely died in servile chains.

Is that the one?

Best Regards,
TerryO

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Ned Kelly's "Jerildarie Letter" addressed to the people of Australia in 1879:

Port McQuarrie Toweringabbie Norfolk Island and Emu plains in those places of tyranny and condemnation many a blooming Irish man rather than subdue to the Saxon yoke were flogged to death and bravely died in servile chains.

Is that the one?

Best Regards,
TerryO

Yeah, that's the one:

Eureka Street - Jan-Feb 2001

Reading the posts about Private Ryan (which also brought war movie sound to a new realism (when you saw a MP40 you heard a real MP40)) brings Band of Brothers (mini series) to mind. Anal retentive producers having the veterans from the battles at the filming to make sure its real. As close as your going to get to being there (even more than Private Ryan). A must see for anyone whos thinking about "joining up".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.