What Was the FIRST Cinema Movie You watched?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Spartacus, was 5 years old.

I can still recall Kirk Douglas and Sir Laurence Olivier's performances.

If you like jazz at all, Yusef Lateef does an unbelievably good version of Love Theme from 'Spartacus' on his classic album Eastern Sounds. It's on my list of the ten "desert island" songs. Yusef plays a lead oboe, and pianist Barry Harris turns in a superb performance.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I saw 2001 A Space Odyssey in a private screening in Boston with my dad in early 1968 sometime prior to general cinematic release. (One of the Harvard science consultants on the film was a friend of my parents.)

I was not quite 11 at the time and had nightmares for many months after that.

The movie shortly thereafter had several scenes cut from it, which to my knowledge have never been restored.

I've seen it several times since and am always amazed at the realism of the effects - pretty impressive compared to Star Trek and other sci-fi contemporaries.

Last edited:
I also saw 2001 A Space Odyssey in a private screening, a couple decades later. A local indy theatre was closing and had a final showing. It was winter and there no money for heat. We brought alcohol instead. Scenes from that night are also erased from my memory. I too felt bad for days.

On reading jkeny's post, my first cinema experience probable was "Jason & the Argonauts" as a preschooler.

Last edited:
The first one I remember? Battlestar Galactica. The real one, at a drive-in when I was 10.

I've been hooked on sci-fi since :D

There were others before, but it was nothing a kid could comprehend.... chick flicks my mom chose or long boring ones, like "Gone With The Wind"

Cheers!

I also saw 2001 A Space Odyssey in a private screening, a couple decades later. A local indy theatre was closing and had a final showing. It was winter and there no money for heat. We brought alcohol instead. Scenes from that night are also erased from my memory. I too felt bad for days.

On reading jkeny's post, my first cinema experience probable was "Jason & the Argonauts" as a preschooler.

I didn't have any Hollywood buddies like some of you guys but my one & only Cinerama experience was "2001 A Space Odyssey" - it was a visual feast - never had any nightmares from it, only a crick in the neck from all that cinerama :)

I also thought "Jason & ..." had great special effects but I was in love with Honor Blackman - at the time, she was clad in leather in a TV series in the UK (which we pirated in Ireland), "The Avengers" & later became a Bond Girl "Pussy Galore" which excited me no end but I guess that's too much information :D

Last edited:
The Silver Chalice, come to think of it, this should also have been on my worst films list. I think it was a number of years before I would agree to go back to a movie house, perhaps 20 or so.

Bud

You chose poorly. :)

Surprised at all the Harryhousen firsts. I have managed to get everyone of his films on DVD. I don't think the super box collection ever got a region 1 release.

I think, my first cinemamovie was a cartoonmovie, but I don't know the title. Wasn't very aware of anything back in the younger days...I remember ET as my first real movie (tearjerker) and I'm still very proud of seeing TERMINATOR 1 in the cinema. :wrench: that guy was one piece of first class electronics, had to go into the Diy world.

jason and the argonauts is great -- go see "Medea" for the sequel! (fwiw -- I saw Medea at the amphitheatre in Siracusa and would love to go back again).

"2001, A Space Odyssey" -- played at the drive-in in N.E. Ohio for the whole summer -- and this was "in the day" you could get 3.2 beer when you were, like, 14 years old -- so you know what we did all summer.

jason and the argonauts is great -- go see "Medea" for the sequel! (fwiw -- I saw Medea at the amphitheatre in Siracusa and would love to go back again).

"2001, A Space Odyssey" -- played at the drive-in in N.E. Ohio for the whole summer -- and this was "in the day" you could get 3.2 beer when you were, like, 14 years old -- so you know what we did all summer.

"Medea", a Pasolini film was beyond what my young sensibilities could take then - I'll check it out now though I'm not sure I didn't see it already!

The only thing you could get from an usherette in a cinema in Ireland, that was in any way illegal, was cigarettes. We had to go to pubs & pretend we were over 18 to get a drink - it was known what pubs were lax.

You guys in the US are spoiled - no drive-ins here. I was amazed when I went to Toronto in 1972, the freedom in the place, the unlocked house doors & later in '74, when I went to Chatham, Cape Cod the 24hr doughnut shops, & in '77 the ability to get a ticket for Pink Floyd at the Olympic Stadium, the day before the concert. Ah, memories of North America :)

Edit: Yes this was the infamous concert in which the audience were pretty rowdy & Waters & crew were pissed off (fireworks being let off in the crowd, etc). Eventually a member climbed on stage & Waters spat in his face. This concert was the genesis for the concept of "The Wall". Check it out here: http://www.pinkfloydz.com/montreal77/montreal_1977_part_1.htm

Never saw any movies there or private screenings either :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.