How To Get Rid Of Seagate BIOS From Hard Drive and Reformat?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
I have an IBM Pentium II, (233 MHz) with a Seagate 20 GB hard drive. It has 64 MB RAM. It came with onboard video, USB port, etc.

I last used the Seagate 20 MB hard drive in an old Pentium 90 which could not correctly read the hard drive's numbers, so I downloaded the Seagate BIOS, which is called the Dynamic Drive Overlay v.9.85. The IBM computer now does not hook up well with an IBM G40 monitor, and the USB system is inoperable-nothing is installed. The Agere modem that came with the machine also does not work, but that might merely be a case of downloading the device driver. Device Drivers I downloaded for the monitor and the USB do me little good-the IBM G40 only gives 16 colors, (I finally had to install a Permedia video card, even though the machine has onboard video).

I would like to get rid of the Seagate BIOS and try the machine's BIOS, but when I put a startup floppy in the disk drive, it says the hard drive has a different system on it.

Arny computer mavens out there who can tell me how to reformat a hard drive with a Seagte BIOS using a Windows 98SE CD and startup floppy made from it? I want to get rid of the Seagate BIOS and use the machine's BIOS.

Much thanks.

Kelticwizard,

I'm not sure if your terminology is incorrect, or I'm ignorant ;)
Do you just want to re-format an HDD that has had a non M$ operating system on it?
If so you need to boot fom the floppy and type the (undocumented) command:
fdisk /mbr
That's fdisk space fowardslash mbr [return]
This will rewrite the master boot record and allow you to use th normal M$ utilities: fdisk and format, from the floppy, to partition and format the HDD.

If you are truly wanting to re-flash the HDD's bios, ignore what I've said and get some expert advice.

Cheers,

Joined 2001
Dhaen:

I am not sure if it is a non MS thing, for I use the Seagate BIOS to run Windows 98SE. But when I try to Fdisk the Seagate HD from the startup floppy made from the Windows 98SE, it says there is no partition on it.

I shall try your method tonight. If it works, fine. If not, I haven't lost anything. Thanks.

It's a BIOS thing, i had the problem with an old PII motherboard. Basically, the bios can't map completely drives above a certain value (arround 16gb if i'm not mistaken). Win98 and DOS's fdisk try to read the disk geometry through bios and hence, they fail to partition it correctly. I guess there should be some partitoning software that does the trick (try www.donwload.com), but in any case, Linuxs' fdisk works ok, if you can use it.

Joined 2001
Thanks, guys. As it turns out, the fdisk/mbr thing worked, and I reformatted the hard drive.

Okay, next thing. I got an an old Norton Anti-Virus disk, which says the installer is an older version of what it is used to. I had installed Norton before using the same version of Windows 98SE that I now have.

However, that is not the problem. I have four modems, (one of which came with the computer), and at least three of them are Host signal Processing, ie. the computer itself does a fair percentage of the modem-ing, instead of it happening on the modem card.

Well, only one of them works, and three of them have trouble installing. One of them I have the installation disk, and two of them I went to the website or driverguide.com.

My question is, do I need to download another installer? Does Microsoft have installer updates for Windows 98 SE? Is it a good idea to get a freeware installer?

I mean, three modems don't work, something is amiss. The only modem that works is from a Dell, is 14.4 kps, and is made by Rockwell. Works fine, but it is 14.4 kps. My top speed for the phone lines in this neighborhood is 28.8.

The three modems are:
A) PCTel 896-bought it from a store, and has worked in the past.

B) PCTel out of a compaq 700 MHz-it did work in that computer. the owner got DSL, hence no use for it.

C) Lucent Agere, which came with the computer and for which I downloaded the driver from driverguide.com.

Is a new installer perhaps the answer?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Does Microsoft have installer updates for Windows 98 SE?

Make sure you go to www.windowsupdate.com and perform all the important updates. This will upgrade your Win98SE to the latest versions with the latest installer software.

Old modems are sometimes a pain to install. You can spend hours looking for working drivers while the cost of a new small 56k is no more than $15. Drivers included.
The PCtel 896: can't find that one. Are you sure it's the 896 and not the 789. If it is, here's the driver: http://www.pctel.com/downloads/R755s8.zip

The compaq PCTel must have a number, as the Lucent Agere does.

/Hugo ;)

Joined 2001
Netlist, Lisandro:

Thanks for your advice.

It was indeed the 789. They have the drivers for it on the PCTel website, as well.

I shall download the Microsoft updates. Although with a 14.4 kps modem, it will difinitely take a looooong time. Looks like an overnight job. :) :)

Joined 2001
Netlist said:

Or you could try at a friend’s who has Cable or DSL. :nod:

/Hugo ;)

Can't do that. Windows Update has to read my specific computer to send me updates. The only thing I could do would be to take my computer over to a friend's hoouse with a high bandwidth connection and hook it up , which would include installing his high speed modem, etc. Would take some doing.

originally by Netlist
You'll have to hope your Internet connection doesn't time-out.

Lucky here, at least in Connecticut. My ISP, Yellowstone.net, which costs $10 a month, does not time out during downloads or as long as I am active. I could go on for hundreds of hours a month with no extra charge. Some ISP's do kick you off after two hours or so online, (although you can get right back on). Others, such as mine, do not.

Also, the phone usage isn't metered here, at least not in Connecticut. So I can stay on for 24 hours a day every single day and it doesn't cost me a dime over the basic phone charge.

I mean, I don't actually do that, I have a life, but I could if I wanted to. :) :)

From British and Irish cyber-friends, I know that over there, they have metered phone service, at least during the day. Hmmm, I should start a thread to see what Internet service is like worldwide.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
which would include installing his high speed modem
That's what I meant. :)

From British and Irish cyber-friends, I know that over there, they have metered phone service, at least during the day
Lucky you! Here in Belgium the phone calls or Internet service is always metered, as far as I know.
For broadband connections, we pay a fixed monthly bill and can stay on-line 24/24.

/Hugo

If you must use a dialup...

Keltikwizard,

In the UK you can now buy a generic V92 modem for £10.
Things are expensive here, compared with the 'States so I expect you could find one for $10.
You will be staggered at the improvement in performance. Assuming you don't live "in the sticks", you'll definately get a much higher speed, and the drivers will be supplied.

Cheers,

Joined 2001
Well, I don't know if Windows Update includes a new Windows Installer with it's Critical Updates or not. I did the first half of Windows Update, and did not see anything about an installer.

After going to Microsoft Downloads, I found the Windows Installer V. 2 for Windows 98 SE. I downloaded and installed it. It did not do well with the PCTel drivers-got General Protection faults and blue screens, a total disaster-but it did install the Lucent Agere modem with ease. So that Windows Installer update seems to be the answer.

Dhaen:

I believe that most of those "generic" V.92 modems are Host Signal Processing-that is the computer does the real work, not the modem card. Now that I know that a Host Signal Processor modem can work on this computer, I do believe I will shortly check out these V. 92 modems.

I doubt that it can increase the speed, though. When I moved from the neighboring town, my dialup connection speed went from 56 K to 28 K in the new neighborhood. So I don't think V. 92 can change that. I guess I would mostly be interested because I understand that you can talk on the phone while your computer is running with V.92. However, your suggestion has given me added momentum toward going V.92.

Okay, got another problem, but that is for another post. Thanks everyone so much for their help so far. :)

Joined 2001
So far everything seems to be okay. However, another issue.

A friend bought an identical computer to mine. I am setting it up for him.

The modem that comes with the computer does not have a driver on the Win 98SE disk. The device driver for it seems to work only if you use Windows Installer v.2. With the regular installer from the Win 98SE disk, it won't install.

He does not have a modem to contact Windows Update to get Windows Installer v.2

I do not have a CD recorder. therefor, I would like to put Windows Installer v. 2 on a floppy and bring it over to him.

The download for Windows Installer v. 2 is 1.62 MB. the capacity of a floppy is 1.4 MB.

Can I install this on two floppies just using Windows 98SE? Or do I need to download some file splitting program?

Any answer will be appreciated. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.