John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked about any change, not what you can measure. So do you have an answer?

Since I wasn't excluded from answering, and since I'd like to see at least one simple and straightforward answer, I'll throw mine into the ring.

The capacitor will weigh the same whether charged or discharged.

When you charge the capacitor, all you're doing is displacing charge (sucking electrons off one plate and shoving them onto the other plate).

se

Out of curiosity, are people building their own clones of the Blowtorch based on their guess of the design ? - what interests me is what is the current thought on jfets - there are plenty of parts on digikey, SMT of course - how do they stack up to the unobtanium through-hole parts of yesteryear ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
It borders on the almost interesting -- how an analog FM Tuner, like the sophisicated design from Nippon's brand "Yamaha" 's T2 model can sound really great today when high quality source material is played over the air. Not XM or Sat radio... regular old straight ahead FM. Anyone remember that source of music? A good preamp's Line stage is all you need.

Thx-RNMarsh

Now where does the energy go in practice when you have a charged capacitor and connect it to an uncharged one?
Bright flash, loud bang, burned fingers and some RFI.

Interestingly, it also triggers a secondary reaction from your wife in the next room, who promptly releases a similar amount of energy, normally in the form of yelling.

Yes, this also explains why exercise (which involves expenditure of energy) leads to weight loss.

Last edited:
It borders on the almost interesting -- how an analog FM Tuner, like the sophisicated design from Nippon's brand "Yamaha" 's T2 model can sound really great today when high quality source material is played over the air. Not XM or Sat radio... regular old straight ahead FM. Anyone remember that source of music? A good preamp's Line stage is all you need.

Thx-RNMarsh

I think it was that model Yamaha, or maybe another that had wide IF bandwidth switching function....good for listening to FM broadcasts at home, but no good as an FM off-air monitoring receiver. In the wide bandwidth mode, over regulations modulation sounded fine, but not representative of what most listeners were hearing.
Don't get me started on DAB+....

Dan.

If I apply 5000 volts to this what is the charge?

What is the energy stored?

If I move the plates 12" apart while maintaining the charge what will the resulting voltage be?

If you do this experiment is a completely dark room you should see a nice light show.

How much charge is lost through corona discharge will depend on how long the plates are held at 12".

If left long enough at 12" the potential will fall to about 2 - 4kV depending upon the how rounded the edges of the plates are and the humidity.

The Positive plate will stop corona discharge at a higher voltage than the Negative plate.

:)

Last edited:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The Leyden jars are placed out for show. The dissectable Leyden jar may be charged and then the charge of the disassembled parts can be examined with the projection electroscope: Place the jar on the grounded plate. Charge the jar. With an insulated rod, remove the inner conductor and check its charge with the electroscope (should be zero) then place it on the grounded plate. Tip over the outer conductor and remove the dielectric (beaker) with an insulated rod and examine the charge on it. Also, check the charge of the outer conductor (should be zero). Reassemble the Leyden jar and discharge it by touching a grounded wire to the sphere on the inner conductor. There should be a considerable spark.

Lecture Demonstration Laboratory

Dan.

Why does the fun always start just after I have gone to bed?

That Army report is amusing - it looks like playtime at the Army labs. No serious force measurement, so no plot of force vs. voltage or current.

Three questions (one from Newton, one from Maxwell, the last from Kirchoff):
1. if there is a force, where is the reaction?
2. if there is voltage, with respect to what?
3. if there is a current, where is the loop?
The answers to any of these questions would seem to suggest that this, even if a real effect, will never be used for a free-moving vehicle (unless it trails a cable along the ground). The Army will have to stick with its alien technology.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Oew, Mr now X philips has to rub it in (some noses) again.

(where's that case-finished fully balanced pre on that pile of amps staying)

Ha ha!!

It's not cased but sitting on the keyboard tray of my desk. When I want to listen to it a put it on the glass equipment stand and connect up. That thing is so big, it will cost me a fortune to box it up. I clearly did not think through the execution on that one.

I'll be listening tonight and post a pic.

Working on my new pre now. Ordered PCB's last night. You don't want to know what this costing and I won't be saying until is completely finished - many months away

That Army report is amusing - it looks like playtime at the Army labs. No serious force measurement, so no plot of force vs. voltage or current.

You have to understand how military funding works. The purpose of these sort of reports is to intrigue a higher-up enough that funding for a larger project can be obtained. I've written more than a few of these myself, and the key phrases to use are "more research is needed to fully understand..." and "further research can demonstrate the feasibility..."

Unfortunately, the naive reader (or ones with agendas) can easily mistake these reports as "real things" done by "real people." My favorite example is Eldon Byrd, the military "scientist" who managed to write his reports well enough to gull the government into funding research based on his "investigations" of psychokinesis performed by Uri Geller.

Ed's probably alluding to exploding capacitors. We should ask jn to compute how much second harmonic is radiated away if it is shorted with a super-conducting inductor. :D

:D

jn

Attachments

• unt.jpg
    unt.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 204
I think SY is getting at an area our government spent some money looking at: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a416740.pdf

There also was a fellow at Harvard who would time a pendulum both charged and uncharged, noting the difference in swing time.

Ah yes it's there, J. Naudin electrogravidics and other assorted garbage physics (he once suggested making a three foot cube vacuum chamber out of 1/4" plexi-glass). Several universities have shown that this effect does NOT work in a vacuum, I even sent the links to a professor in Canada frustrated by this nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.