John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
can you really still not understand the distinction John? this is where it starts to appear as trolling... sure theres that old saying that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; but that bar has been raised somewhat and it still needs to be able to be proven and repeatable to get passed stage one. those that repeatably cannot back up their fantastic arguments are usually cast out...

aligning the 2 is an insult!

how many times must we pump up your ego about the things we do respect and want to hear more of (analogue design experience often and aint there the truth!) and then point out what we dont like ie. handwaving, egotism, Charlatanism and this continuous bringing up of the silly 'quantum submariner devices for audiophiles with low expectations of proof??' you continually play these guilt trip, everybody hates me recording, puff yourself up, insult those around and around, sulk, get with the program for a while, some good conversation happens then around we go again..

Last edited:
John,
I admit that there are some who would more than rib you, but from what I have seen some of the same people are doing that to Doug Self and even Bob Cordell. I would just ignore some of the most vocal that do that for whatever reason. The majority aren't here to do that from what I see. There are always some who just disagree just to disagree and it wouldn't matter who they are doing that to. Some are just disrespectful in how they communicate and what can we do about that?

JN

They make 60 degree router bits. So three axis are enough. If you mount the blank so it is vertical you can imitate a metal shaper. The router moves across the narrow thickness of the blank. The blank can move closer or away from the router and the third axis rotates the blank.

Now as the router movement is probably less than one inch it can be quite rigid. The rotation will need to be geared down from a typical stepper motor but there are servo motors made that have a built in optical high resolution position indicator. Last I looked they were $600 or so. A stepper, screw and pair of rails will do for cut depth but they will require shielding and should be well offset from the cutting edge so you might want to use 4 rails and a large offset.

You will not need to start with a round blank as the outer edge will just be triangle tips.

Kindhornman, I think that you mean well, but you are rather naive about my relationship with my 'critics' here. It was just as strong, 10 years ago as it is today. It is not 'ribbing' it is 'trashing', and it never changes.

i'm sorry that you are unable to distinguish frustrated, baffled argument from people actually trying to understand what the hell you are thinking continually bringing up and hi-lighting the subjects that have brought you grief, from trashing, it makes me worry about your well-being. Call it 'tough love'; you are smarter than this...

Jneutron,
Have you thought about turning a router 90 degrees and moving along the z axis to the surface and having a cutter made to create the bottom of the gear tooth? Then you could use your pin router to make just the outer portion of the tooth in the normal fashion. Just an idea.

Yes. Creating the valley profile with a bitis one method, it is really amenable to a lath setup with an indexing wheel. A really big problem I've been facing is repairing and/or replacing wood gears from the 1820-1840 timeframe.. The valleys and teeth are not bilaterally symmetric, so a single pass rotating bit is out.

Generally, small pinions were made with a saw blade setup with the indexing wheel. I've been considering using slot cutters, but that still requires profiling the carbide teeth for the angles. I'm not sure I can grind 3 equal profiles out of a carbide tipped slot cutter.

jn, re capacitors, how is that affected by the end spray methods?

What is the end spray method?

JN

They make 60 degree router bits. So three axis are enough. If you mount the blank so it is vertical you can imitate a metal shaper. The router moves across the narrow thickness of the blank. The blank can move closer or away from the router and the third axis rotates the blank.
It gets worse. a true pinion is hypocycloidal, but that reduces the tooth thickness at the base, and we are talking wood here. The grain of the wood is in the bad orientation bad for a few of the teeth, in fact that is why I have to repair old wooden gears. In the early 1800's, they would cut the teeth parallel sides, and shape the engaging wheel teeth to avoid contact too far down the pinion faces. And the kicker is, I've had to repair 6, 7, 8, and 9 tooth pinions, so the number of modified bits gets up there. It's like buying hobs for every tooth profile available for every gear diameter..

I must say, the range of expertise on this site is great. Thanks guys.

jn

Last edited:
Generally, small pinions were made with a saw blade setup with the indexing wheel.

In the early 1800's, they would cut the teeth parallel sides, and shape the engaging wheel teeth to avoid contact too far down the pinion faces. And the kicker is, I've had to repair 6, 7, 8, and 9 tooth pinions, so the number of modified bits gets up there. It's like buying hobs for every tooth profile available for every gear diameter..

jn

An index head and a sharp saw probably are faster than setting up a more modern method.

If you need indexing templates, let me know.

ES

can you really still not understand the distinction John? this is where it starts to appear as trolling... sure theres that old saying that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; but that bar has been raised somewhat and it still needs to be able to be proven and repeatable to get passed stage one. those that repeatably cannot back up their fantastic arguments are usually cast out...

aligning the 2 is an insult!

how many times must we pump up your ego about the things we do respect and want to hear more of (analogue design experience often and aint there the truth!) and then point out what we dont like ie. handwaving, egotism, Charlatanism and this continuous bringing up of the silly 'quantum submariner devices for audiophiles with low expectations of proof??' you continually play these guilt trip, everybody hates me recording, puff yourself up, insult those around and around, sulk, get with the program for a while, some good conversation happens then around we go again..

Huh? 47000 posts and still going strong. Lots of male bovine waste product, and a few gems. So why are you adding to the former?

Mr Simon,

at the oddity club, one can expect sporadic sputter noise.

(e.g. yesterday, my neighbor showed me his 42ft reggie fountain boat, three 502ci marine blocks of >>>600hp each, tops 160kn. guy owns a body repair shop, drives a different exotic every 6 months. don't think he'll get all worked up about some Bentley web-talk)

The continued time-delay of Mr Curl's posts, I experience as more demeaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.