John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
SY

If you actually look at the connector does it have a single fork contact or a tubular one? Also handy is either the main hole diameter or the mounting holes.

One version has the holes 2cm apart the other .75" x .947".

I use lots of these connectors and if you let me know I can get you the right parts.

My guess is that they are the forked type with the contacts mounted horizontally, implying a rear PC Card. The failure mode is there are audiophile XLR style connectors with oversize pins. Once they spread the fork contact the connector is ruined for all but oversize pins.

SY, if your boss is happy with the sound of this amp, why not fix the problem, or changing the XLRs, or adding a drop of solder on the cable's connector pins to tighten the contacts ?

This said, it is funny to see how reality grimaces after all this noise about silver contacts handcrafted by virgins. Here, we are in the real world with a real boring simple and stupid problem.

SY, if your boss is happy with the sound of this amp, why not fix the problem, or changing the XLRs, or adding a drop of solder on the cable's connector pins to tighten the contacts ?

Warranty voided, time wasted (there would have to be machining done and PCB modified to correct a simple design error). John has already been clear about what should be done and what he thinks of his customers. I will honor his request and not recommend Parasound in the future.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The XLR does not use the catch to prevent this - used on Pro gear's XLR.... not so much on consumer gear. Cables hanging down will tend to pull out under the cable own weight. Their might be an exact replacement XLR version with the catch/latch option. Or reposition the gear so the cable isnt pulling down and out. -RNM

Status
Not open for further replies.