John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
One Diyer of our forum prefer a class D amp to a JC-1, enough to sell this last one.
"...the NC400s which were already better than the 2 amps I had previously used (CJ 275M and Parasound JC-1)."
"Yes, to me the NC400s were the best amps I had heard. The JC-1s are sold now."
Not paid (like reviewers are) to promote one or the other.

Last edited:
One Diyer of our forum prefer a class D amp to a JC-1, enough to sell this last one.
"...the NC400s which were already better than the 2 amps I had previously used (CJ 275M and Parasound JC-1)."
"Yes, to me the NC400s were the best amps I had heard. The JC-1s are sold now."
Not paid (like reviewers are) to promote one or the other.

he his unfortunate ! :devilr::D

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Tell this to the hundreds of enthusiast feedbacks from Bruno's customers. Tell-me, did you ever listened to this Amp ?
I did, and it is one of the best amps i ever heard.

I believe that etchnically, in terms of providing a carbon copy of the input signal but at higher power levels but otherwise identical, Bruno's amps are among the best if not THE best.

However, in the hifi/home sector, we all know that even something like one careless mistake with the faceplace layout can kill you.
Thta's where the real art in audio is ;)

jan

Well congratulations to Hypex and Bruno. He is a very competent engineer. The JC-1 is a good amp, but we have and still are making better. In fact we incorporate Hypex modules in one of them. The other will be 'pure'. We will know the difference in a few months.
Personally, I have never measured a Hypex, only Tripath and ICE. Both were disappointments, but you never know!

Instead i like MTM configuration (but not Wilson speakers). Can you explain why?
In the d'Apolito configuration, the distance difference between the two drivers out of axis provide accidents because phase/delay between them. Those will induce accidents in reflexions witch are 60% of the sound level reaching our ears.
Reason why Cabasse produced their 4 ways coaxial speakers with electronic delay to compensate the fact that the coils where not vertically aligned.

In my enclosures, as the crossover is very low in frequency, i do not worry about the vertical delay because the wave lenghs are large. Not the case where a tweeter start at 5Khz.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I contacted Hypex about designing the ncore into a medium volume product for a client two years ago and they basically rejected me. It seems the client was not prestigious enough. We never got to real discussions. Maybe I should try again. I have some new "sockets" coming up for amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.