John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are wrong, SY. It is true that better designing power supplies DOES reduce the sensitivity to line cords, but it does NOT eliminate it. I am very proud of my power supplies, but the best thing that I did for the JC-3 was to put a 10uf cap across the input line to remove the power supply problems and probably power cord sensitivity, at least to the resolution of the JC-3, which is not infinite.

I'm surprised at that admission- I would have guessed that you'd be fine at designing competent power supplies for your products.

It is very challenging: in order to power amps with zero output resistance he would ned power supply with zero output resistance, powered through a zero resistance power cable from zero resistance outlet. But adding 0.1-0.5 Ohm resistor in series with speaker he allowed some resistance for power cable and outlet. Sounds quite scientific, right?

It is very challenging: in order to power amps with zero output resistance he would ned power supply with zero output resistance, powered through a zero resistance power cable from zero resistance outlet. But adding 0.1-0.5 Ohm resistor in series with speaker he allowed some resistance for power cable and outlet. Sounds quite scientific, right?

Last I heard, RF entering an amplifier via the power cord, spreads also by radiation, bypassing the power supply. But what do I know? I have no formal degree to backup any technical claim.

However I'm curious why Thorsten Loesch bothered to put a special AMR fuse in the CDP I purchased recently. Was the fuse chosen after certain measurements? Or may be after listening evaluations? Is that special fuse only for show? I doubt it, since most customers don't bother to take out the fuse and look at it.

Possibly you don't mean my humble person, Joshua?

As people know, I always calibrate measurements with listenings, and listenings with measurements. You know, it helps sometimes more than correlating thinkings with readings. ;)

I'm pleased to hear it.
Now, in your listening evaluations, did you ever note any difference in sound between different power cords? Did you ever try different power cords?

Joshua;
if you want I can introduce you to one designer in Israel. He is not famous among manufacturers and reviewers because he is perfectionist; he has golden ears and great experience in audio design. Nothing can satisfy him, but may be you can stop his endless improvements saying that his system sounds already nice, better than some other very expensive systems, and it is the time to start manufacturing in order to satisfy listeners?

Did you ever try different power cords?

I did try different approach that renders such tests meaningless: filtering and stabilizing of voltages and currents. Also, transformer balanced inputs help a lot... According to my experience resources are always limited, contradict each other, and have to be applied where they give better results.

“Give me a lever long enough, a fulcrum strong enough and I’ll move the world” -Archimedes

Joshua;
if you want I can introduce you to one designer in Israel. He is not famous among manufacturers and reviewers because he is perfectionist; he has golden ears and great experience in audio design. Nothing can satisfy him, but may be you can stop his endless improvements saying that his system sounds already nice, better than some other very expensive systems, and it is the time to start manufacturing in order to satisfy listeners?

Do you mean Michael? I know him.
What makes you think I'm up to convincing people to stop their endeavors to improve their sound system? I'm farther from it than I am from other galaxies.

I did try different approach that renders such tests meaningless: filtering and stabilizing of voltages and currents. Also, transformer balanced inputs help a lot... According to my experience resources are always limited, contradict each other, and have to be applied where they give better results.

“Give me a lever long enough, a fulcrum strong enough and I’ll move the world” -Archimedes

So, have you succeeded building an amplifier which is immune to different power cords?

Do you mean Michael? I know him.
What makes you think I'm up to convincing people to stop their endeavors to improve their sound system? I'm farther from it than I am from other galaxies.

No, I mean another one, Alex Z. He uses batteries to power vacuum tube phono corrector with LR networks... If you are satisfied by AC powered solid state corrector with RC networks you can probably convince him, no?

I take out all fuses regardless. I would hope no fuse is better than any fuse, I would hate to think they contained the magic smoke.

You are welcome to do with your audio gear whatever you please.
I do things differently, that is, I listen to changes prior to deciding anything.
I'm going to try different fuses after the CDP will finis its' burning in.
However I have a feeling that none participating in this thread (other than maybe Thorsten) is actually interested in my findings.
In my other pieces of gear to my audio setup, different fuses definitely mad a change to the sound. However, it seems to me that none who is adhering to ones' beliefs religiously is going to let oneself be confused by facts.
So I let it be.
Each to ones' own.
I only wonder what is the motivation of some people to tell me what I hear and what I don't hear, what have an impact on the sound of my setup and what doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.