Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 9th February 2018, 09:56 PM   #99711
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Regarding academic publishing, some problems are well known:

Academic publishing doesn't add up | Technology | The Guardian

https://www.economist.com/blogs/econ...st-explains-23

Old 9th February 2018, 10:02 PM   #99712
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
I don't think we are on the same page any more.

I shifted from caps and DA to CM signals and the many undiscussed (here?) ways CM signals manifest them selves. And, some solutions.

?

Where are we?
To cut to the chase, it's not clear to me why there are two sides on the issue of test waveforms, and what we can infer from tests about performance with music waveforms. Sure music is not a single tone sine wave. But we have other tests, such as multi-tone tests. We can now measure some things down to -150dB or so. Why can't we agree on test methods and how they work? It seems like a scientific problem, not a philosophical one at this point in time.

Old 9th February 2018, 10:06 PM   #99713
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
To cut to the chase, it's not clear to me why there are two sides on the issue of test waveforms, and what we can infer from tests about performance with music waveforms. Sure music is not a single tone sine wave. But we have other tests, such as multi-tone tests. We can now measure some things down to -150dB or so. Why can't we agree on test methods and how they work? It seems like a scientific problem, not a philosophical one at this point in time.
yes, OK

I don't know how to separate the listening experience from the subject.

It was the listening - that I was first made aware- by Peter Moncrieff (Berkeley Calif) who had substituted different dielectrics in cap and noticed a change and he thought to invite me over and asked if I knew what about a capacitor dielectric might cause the sound changes. I didn't know, of course, but after researching caps, his audible and that of others descriptions fell right in line with DA. Others, notably WJ and JC also listened and so on and so forth.

The same person, PM, did double blind tests on caps. Many various tests (music sampling comparisons) etc. I don't care to go over every step of the way but PM published his listening experiences and test in IAR. He also started selling caps also so others could try a high quality film cap in their equipment/speakers etc. This is where the popular idea started.

I can tell you that i cant hear in DBLT differences in small DA changes but in other ways I do. Having said that. I will no doubt have to explain it, sometime.

But lets pretend what occurred almost 40 years ago was all wrong... and no one had then or now heard any differences in cap's ...... well, it led to the dc servo and better topologies - and that is a good thing IMO.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; 9th February 2018 at 10:35 PM.

Old 10th February 2018, 01:51 AM   #99714
john curl is offline john curl  United States
diyAudio Member

PMA, if you want to use a 1uf polypropylene cap, be my guest. 40 years ago, I designed in a 1uf Mylar cap that passed all my distortion measurements into a preamp output and my employer discovered that it was audible, to my embarrassment. THEN I had to go to DC coupling or servos. I chose servos mostly. PP was not popular back then, as it was just being introduced.

Old 10th February 2018, 03:42 AM   #99715
PjVervoorn is offline PjVervoorn  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
... However, I know numerous examples when the output relay was unable to interrupt DC power arc (because it is much more difficult to extinguish/blast DC arc than AC arc which crosses through current zero) and it ended with expensive speakers like BW800 damaged. ...
I'm in no way as competent as others here, but I always wonder why not put the relay parallel to the speaker, to protect it?

Old 10th February 2018, 04:24 AM   #99716
Jim the Oldbie is offline Jim the Oldbie  United States
diyAudio Member

This has been done, or variations of the idea at least. For example, Peavey for many years used a Triac crowbar circuit to short-circuit their power amp outputs in the presence of too much DC.

Old 10th February 2018, 06:38 AM   #99717
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Pffft. Right. There are journals for academics, its not necessarily a panacea. There is a lot of volunteer work that has be done by the reviewers. They read an article, send it back the editor with comments and questions, it gets revised by the author and sent back for more review. Repeat until published or declined. I don't know if audio has enough PhDs that have the time and interest to do it.

I would agree though there there should be some quality control. Don't know the best practical way.
I know of at least one member here who was (is?) a reviewer for the AES. It is generally a well-kept secret to avoid undue pressure; sometimes the (emotional) stakes are high.

Jan

Old 10th February 2018, 03:02 PM   #99718
Tournesol is offline Tournesol  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjVervoorn View Post
I always wonder why not put the relay parallel to the speaker, to protect it?
As long you design a protection, better it protect both speakers and power devices of the amp in the same time. There is no problem to chose a relay able to cut the power rail voltage under a 4 Ohm load and with a low enough 'on' resistance to be neat totally transparent. Can be a Mosfet switch as well, to be faster.
False problem.

BTW, one of the advantages of the Servos is you can set with little caps the FC low enough that you will see no phase switch at 16* or 41**Hz.

*For J.S. Bach fans
** For Led Zepp. fans.

Last edited by Tournesol; 10th February 2018 at 03:07 PM.

Old 10th February 2018, 03:09 PM   #99719
Tournesol is offline Tournesol  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
I know of at least one member here who was (is?) a reviewer for the AES. It is generally a well-kept secret.
Means you are in the secrets of God ?

Old 10th February 2018, 03:13 PM   #99720
gpauk is offline gpauk  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tournesol View Post
As long you design a protection, better it protect both speakers and power devices of the amp in the same time. There is no problem to chose a relay able to cut the power rail voltage under a 4 Ohm load and with a low enough 'on' resistance to be neat totally transparent. Can be a Mosfet switch as well, to be faster.
False problem.
A series relay.... So you would need some sort of bybee enhanced relay, to avoid any quantum / sonic effects from the closed contacts, no doubt. And no doubt some would say the contacts are directional.. or need burn in... Just sayin'...
"...when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, ... your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind..." Lord Kelvin

Closed Thread

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIHide this!Advertise here!