John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother's mother was from the Ukraine but her father was from Poland but in the old times weren't the borders ill defined? I remember a silly movie "Taras Bulba" where the Cossacks and Poles went at each other. The Poles got the shaft, literally. :)

Ukrainians are proud of Anastasia Lisowska (original spelling of my last name is Lisowski); they believe that she was Ukrainian, because Ukraine was a part of Poland then. :D
But actually, our family is from Vilno, now Vilnius, Lithuania. And we always were Polish knights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurrem_Sultan

Wavebourn,
I'll do something with you when I have something to share. I'm sure they would still sound great with your amp but without the electronics we would have to at least develop a network to go between your amp and the high and low frequency units.

I see. You have a crossover. No EQ?

I plan to make one amp for bi-amped speakers. Stay tuned! ;-)
I think that crossover frequency will be variable between 80 and 240 Hz.

Morinix,
Yes that is what brought me to this point. I was originally only looking to do an active xo and it got to this point with the Analog Devices DSP chipset so why not take advantage of what it can do. And yes it will have both a class-D and a small class ab amp for the tweeter. Crossover point is up at 2.5Khz to the tweeter. The reality is that I need little in the way of eq., mostly just a phase coherent crossover for the two devices and a little delay to match the voice-coil offset. A Linkewitz transform is the concept for the low frequencies since I deliberately made the enclosure smaller than optimum. It either that or add mass to the cone which I don't want to do. That TI TPA3251 class-D amplifier is really overkill until we bring in the Linkewitz transform, then that headroom will come in handy.

Sad, but he and 2 more my friends on FB are already there, so FB continues suggesting me to invite them to like my Wavebourn page...

You should change your post mortem Facebook settings to avoid such an unfortunate situation in which your online legacy is eternally ambiguous.

You can either set a legacy contact for post-mortem memorialization, or request to have your page wiped upon Facebooks notification of your death.

https://fossbytes.com/how-to-auto-delete-your-facebook-account-after-your-death/

Morinix,
Yes that is what brought me to this point. I was originally only looking to do an active xo and it got to this point with the Analog Devices DSP chipset so why not take advantage of what it can do. And yes it will have both a class-D and a small class ab amp for the tweeter. Crossover point is up at 2.5Khz to the tweeter. The reality is that I need little in the way of eq., mostly just a phase coherent crossover for the two devices and a little delay to match the voice-coil offset. A Linkewitz transform is the concept for the low frequencies since I deliberately made the enclosure smaller than optimum. It either that or add mass to the cone which I don't want to do. That TI TPA3251 class-D amplifier is really overkill until we bring in the Linkewitz transform, then that headroom will come in handy.
How the heck are you going to manufacture your own drivers? That takes an honest to god factory.

You should change your post mortem Facebook settings to avoid such an unfortunate situation in which your online legacy is eternally ambiguous.

You can either set a legacy contact for post-mortem memorialization, or request to have your page wiped upon Facebooks notification of your death.

https://fossbytes.com/how-to-auto-delete-your-facebook-account-after-your-death/

Thanks, but it is not me who FB suggests to invite, I am still here; they suggest me to invite Brad Wood and 2 our guys to like my Wavebourn FB page...

Already have done that step Morinix. I've been in manufacturing for most of my life. I have the voice-coils made, the magnets come from China, low carbon steel from Taiwan,etc. I only have to make the cone and surround. I have a concept for a new spider but for now I can use a commercial spider. The frame is part of the enclosure there is no separate frame, the speaker is assembled into the front baffle. The tweeter is my design and again most parts will be made for me but we will assemble the components. I will be using a Be diaphragm for the tweeter made by Materion, the most expensive single piece in the speaker component build. I cold reduce the cost of a pair of speaker by about $80.00 if I don't use Be! If I don't use the Be I'd probably make a clone of an older Audax dome tweeter profile, I'm fairly certain it was a synthetic dome material and not silk.Best damned cheap dome tweeter I've used from a commodity company.

Already have done that step Morinix. I've been in manufacturing for most of my life. I have the voice-coils made, the magnets come from China, low carbon steel from Taiwan,etc. I only have to make the cone and surround. I have a concept for a new spider but for now I can use a commercial spider. The frame is part of the enclosure there is no separate frame, the speaker is assembled into the front baffle. The tweeter is my design and again most parts will be made for me but we will assemble the components. I will be using a Be diaphragm for the tweeter made by Materion, the most expensive single piece in the speaker component build. I cold reduce the cost of a pair of speaker by about $80.00 if I don't use Be! If I don't use the Be I'd probably make a clone of an older Audax dome tweeter profile, I'm fairly certain it was a synthetic dome material and not silk.Best damned cheap dome tweeter I've used from a commodity company.
Wow!

Steven, regarding your speakers one point that may bear considering is portable operation.

Alesis 01.jpg
I have one of these Alesis Transactive Mobile AC/DC powered portable speakers.
I often use this as a monitoring amp on the bench, for tv sound out in the sunroom via a 6m 2RCA-ST3.5 cable and for sometimes general/background listening.

My point is that this speaker is very useful as a decent power/decent bandwidth portable speaker, as opposed to the typical BT etc connected portable mini speakers that produce no real bass to speak of.

If you were to use an outboard (laptop) psu this could be substituted with a companion battery pack and the psu used to charge the in use or additional battery packs.
Laptop type external psus are cheap nowadays, and a laptop equivalent battery pack in a suitable enclosure ought not to be prohibitive.

Highish quality proper bandwidth speakers at a sensible price point with upgrade options (battery packs) would broaden your market considerably.

Can you give some pics/drawings to show the size/form of your product ?.

Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.