John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so, its cool for you. Use the very cheap TL072 everywhere, and you will have a PERFECT system... for you.
For me, > 95% of the system i listen to in audio shows or show rooms, i would not spend a single penny for them.

To my ears, TL072's good enough with the provisos that its not driving anything below 100k and the supplies are clean and its run fully balanced without asking for gain. Within these constraints (not widely observed I'll grant in typical products that use them) I'm for now convinced my poweramps are a weaker link than the opamps in my active XO.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Yes - any such approach to adjusting eq for source programme is flawed. One needs a system capable of reproducing the source programme verbatim, whatever it is - then it is heard as intended, like it or not it is what it is.

Except:
a) with Vinyl one might want a switchable early roll off for some recordings
b) When watching movies with TV hooked through stereo bass is generally over cooked for my tastes
c) late at night, sprogs asleep and I want to listen to music and not shake the house

Just because I can doesn't necessarily mean I should of course...

Solar issues

I suspected as much. The reason why I tried a small panel was the design payback quoted was 20 years before tax credits. Friends who did install panels seemed to think they were replacing them on a 10 year basis due to damage...

There are widespread and well-known problems with many brands of inexpensive consumer solar panels. It is one of the main effects (as it always is) with downward pricing pressure from less-developed countries. Consumer panels suffer from brittle and flawed glass or glass failure due to poor encapsulant performance, interconnect corrosion, hot-spotting from poor cell matching, as well as the potential induced degradation (PID) of poorly constructed panels.

On the other hand commercial-grade panels are extremely durable and long-lived, and typically have a 50% or higher cost premium per watt. After studying these issues for years, I am now three years into observing the performance of a 6.3KW SunPower system I have never cleaned (thanks to rain), that has seen more than a few hail storms (grape to golfball sized), hurricane-strength winds, branch impacts and one lightning hit. The only event that caused damage was the lightning, which breached the insulation of the underground cables, necessitating a new wire pull and much improved lightning diversion at the panel array. So far it is has been operating at over 85% theoretical net system efficiency and stable (see attachment, system was doubled in size mid-2012), I expect it to generate another 9MWH this year.
HR pv.jpg

Per usual, you get what you pay for. People who talk about the importance of payback on a PV system are delusional. It is not a homeowner investment anymore than a house is, or a car, or a full set of tools. You don't ever expect them to "return the investment" anymore than you would a toilet. It is more a matter of being accountable for where you leave your s#!t use and lessening the impact of your consumption on others, as well as using a real-time energy source instead of a stored resource which we need for dark times. This being said, thanks to regressive energy policies here in NC, the payback, such as it is, on my system is gradually shortening as Duke Energy is granted price increases by our governor, a Duke Energy alum.

Other than that I don't have any opinion on the use of PV. Next topic?

Howie

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
www.wxyc.org

Last edited:
There are widespread and well-known problems with many brands of inexpensive consumer solar panels.

Thanks again Howie...

American Solar Electric Inc. of Scottsdale, one of the largest installation companies in the area, reported that it had about 2,800 rooftop arrays installed at the time of the storm, and those arrays had about 100,000 individual glass solar panels among them that were likely exposed to hail as the storm moved across the metro area.

Two panels on two separate homes were broken by hail that day, spokeswoman Joy Seitz said. In both cases, the homeowner had to pay about $500 for a new panel to be installed, she said.

Solar-panel maker SunPower reported that a 6.5-acre solar array on the roof of a Phoenix industrial building saw hail damage to three of the 8,000 panels on the roof, while the rest of the building looked like it had been "machine gunned."

As most know, I design phono stages for a living, and have 3 commercial units out there at different price ranges. For lower cost and easier fabrication, I make one fairly successful phono stage with IC's. In designing this product, I found it important to carefully choose WHICH IC I used in each stage. I tried 3 different IC's for the input stage, and I got 3 different sonic signatures. 2 of which were different but equally good. One, was unusable. IF I did not try as hard as I did to make these sonic decisions, I would not have made a winner, but an also-ran. One should never think that just measuring or comparing the specs on a data sheet will give optimum audio performance.

Much faster for me. We have good stuff here.

Well, it's all in the, level, ahem.

When you start the car in gear with the accelerator glued to the floor, you can't jump off until it runs out of gas, and well, the bigger the tank, the longer the ride the faster you hit the now more prevalent jumps, and the more air time...poor little car is all worn out when it finally runs down but the crazy view out the window makes for a interesting ride.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
After some time, I finally realized it's best never to work with (or loan money to) relatives.
Even the Koch brothers had troubles. At least Apple's finally going to pay the vig to our WARF.
I told my then-destitute brother that it was a gift. And if someday he could bestow such on me, that would be fine.

Work with? Probably never again. But I thought I could work better with them than with my father. When he retired of course he didn't quite leave.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
There are widespread and well-known problems with many brands of inexpensive consumer solar panels. It is one of the main effects (as it always is) with downward pricing pressure from less-developed countries. Consumer panels suffer from brittle and flawed glass or glass failure due to poor encapsulant performance, interconnect corrosion, hot-spotting from poor cell matching, as well as the potential induced degradation (PID) of poorly constructed panels.

On the other hand commercial-grade panels are extremely durable and long-lived, and typically have a 50% or higher cost premium per watt. After studying these issues for years, I am now three years into observing the performance of a 6.3KW SunPower system I have never cleaned (thanks to rain), that has seen more than a few hail storms (grape to golfball sized), hurricane-strength winds, branch impacts and one lightning hit. The only event that caused damage was the lightning, which breached the insulation of the underground cables, necessitating a new wire pull and much improved lightning diversion at the panel array. So far it is has been operating at over 85% theoretical net system efficiency and stable (see attachment, system was doubled in size mid-2012), I expect it to generate another 9MWH this year.
View attachment 510314

Per usual, you get what you pay for. People who talk about the importance of payback on a PV system are delusional. It is not a homeowner investment anymore than a house is, or a car, or a full set of tools. You don't ever expect them to "return the investment" anymore than you would a toilet. It is more a matter of being accountable for where you leave your s#!t use and lessening the impact of your consumption on others, as well as using a real-time energy source instead of a stored resource which we need for dark times. This being said, thanks to regressive energy policies here in NC, the payback, such as it is, on my system is gradually shortening as Duke Energy is granted price increases by our governor, a Duke Energy alum.

Other than that I don't have any opinion on the use of PV. Next topic?

Howie

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
www.wxyc.org
Toole installed panels afew years ago, and he told me that he didn't expect ROI. It was just the right thing to do, ditto his drought-resistant landscape.

A proper solar installation does a credible job if the panels are kept clean and the batteries maintained.
Research in new materials is amazing. Dust being larger in size than liquid molecules. Would this work on solar panels ? Ultra Dry
I meant send me mad in terms of spending 25 minutes optimising the low end for each album I play!
Amongst lots of 'bizzare' ideas I think of, one is to get a most wide band driver; add appropriate tweeter and woofer. Have the option to band pass them. And depending on music have the option of hearing only wideband or wideband+woofer or all three of them. Wonder if such system can be designed ? I know 2.1 system. But it uses two way stereo speakers and a subwoofer.
Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.