John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi snup,
Respectfully, I only know it is difficult for some to follow short bursts of text. If you are using a smart phone I understand. Please just try and compose your thoughts a little, that's all.

One thing I am not doing is making fun of you. Just trying to draw your attention to something that could be annoying to other members.

-Chris

Chris, nobody HAS to read his stuff....
Just one more entry in the ignore list ;)

Jan

subjecting us to pointless posts

stop and consider, of all the posts, in this thread, parts 1 and 2,

how many have been on topic?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````
“The case against science is straightforward: much of the scientific literature, perhaps half, may simply be untrue. Afflicted by studies with small sample sizes, tiny effects, invalid exploratory analyses, and flagrant conflicts of interest, together with an obsession for pursuing fashionable trends of dubious importance, science has taken a turn towards darkness.”

Dr. Richard Horton

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published,
or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.
I take no pleasure in this conclusion,
which I reached slowly and reluctantly over my two decades as an editor
of the New England Journal of Medicine”

Dr. Marcia Angell

Last edited:
I find that restaurants fall into two general categories - you either pay for the ambience and name, or you eat in a truck driver's hoedown but you get real good food. Very rarely do both converge.

Truckers' hoedowns offer no fanncy name plates, but on occasions, it is amazing how good very simple dishes they do make taste. That was a lesson taught me by our nomadic drve around Turkey, in the late 60ies. Their roadside restaurants are callekd "lokanta" (nothigto do with Bart Lovanthi, I believe), but the best plain rice I ever ate was in some of them (sorry Chinese, you're great, but the Turks are better). I made it a point to learn from roadside cooks how do they do it, and did it well enough not to miss the real Turkish stuff.

For using very standard materials to produce an outstaning meal, my best ever spot was in Taipei, Taiwan. Andrew night back me up on this. I was invited for dinner in a Mongolian restaurant, Superficially, it appears as any self service retaurant, with very thinly cit pork, lamd and beef, and various vegetables. You are given a deep bowl, and you put in whatever you like, moving on. The chef only pours in the sauces you might want, At the end of the line, you are shunted to a large room, with a 7-8 foot wide foged steel plate, with 4 or 5 guys sitting around it. They take your bowl and simply turni it upside down pver the palte, which has a real wood fire going on under it, so the contents are all mixed together and fried in their own sauce for like 2 minutes or so. They are zhen scarped off the mammoth skillet back into your bowl. And you're in for a feast with as natural food as possible. no oil is evera added. Outstanding meal, and ot's really up to you and what you put in yourself.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Around here up to fairly stratospheric prices you more or less get what you pay for.. Very mediocre to terrible food in cheap places, and progressively better food as the price goes up to a point; like audio you have to find the point of diminishing returns and stay below it.

The few truck stops I have stopped at here in the U.S. in upstate NY or on the I95 corridor have without exceptions been absolutely terrible except for breakfast. Very limited sample size I'll admit, but enough that I no longer go out of my way to explore such opportunities.. lol

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
$650 - $950 US says Tripadvisor. Got close to the low end at Charlie Trotter's in Chicago once but that was the chef's table and non-plonk wine. He did let me fondle his bottle of 1945 Romanee Conti.
Better than that hapless pair of high-end steakhouses in TX, who touted certain wines, among them a double magnum of 1945 RC. Only problem was, the harvest was so meager that year they didn't make any grand format bottles! Oooops.

A friend let me do a similar caress of his 1978 RC. Alas, he never sprang for a cooling system in his cellar. Although that wine and La Tache can be quite resistant to heat, there are limits.

double magnum of 1945 RC.
Had the original quill pen style label and yes 3000-4000 bottles and no GF IIRC. The only one that old I've had was a totally oxidized 1937 La Tache but the label was beautiful. During the bubble there was a bottle of 1985 RC at a Thai restaurant in Tokyo for $1500 and I was actually tempted (I never expensed wine indulgences).

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Had the original quill pen style label and yes 3000-4000 bottles and no GF IIRC. The only one that old I've had was a totally oxidized 1937 La Tache but the label was beautiful.
I bought a 1945 La Tache for 160 bucks in-around 1976. It was one of the salt-the-mine "comers" that Rowan and Martin financed to get Dennis Overstreet set up in business as The Wine Merchant, in Beverly Hills, before DO was implicated in various improprieties and worse (see the account of the case of counterfeit DRC Montrachet in the book The Billionaire's Vinegar for example). The empty bottle is one of the few I've kept. Oh, the wine was magnificent. Top burgundy ever for me, although a rebottled 1934 Bonnes Mares drunk around 1973 was approaching it.

"Those days are gone forever, Over a long time ago. Oh yeah..." (Steely Dan, Pretzel Logic)

I can say I have no appreciation for a fine bottle of wine, I wouldn't know it from some $5.00 bottle of wine. I have probably imbibed about as much alcohol in my life as some people can do in a day, never developed any taste for drinking, then again I still don't drink coffee or tea. Only drink coffee with mocha if I absolutely have to stay awake and for no other reason. I seem to be the only one in my family who doesn't drink coffee, don't even like coffee candy. I like the smell but have a very strong aversion to anything bitter in the least, I guess those receptors are just to sensitive for me to like anything like that. I hate when someone puts lemon on fish, kills the taste for me. You guy's enjoy your wine, I'll drink the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.