John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
What about kick drums ? (I never measured).
I looked with many of my vinyls for hints. It was not easy nor conclusive but I didn’t find a lot below 50Hz for kick drums in rock and a bit lower in jazz.
Then I did some reading and it became obvious that there is a lot of sound processing going on (console equalization and miking manipulation) both for live and studio sound.
I asked some people and they told me that tuning of kick drum is done in a way that the sound fits in with the rest pieces of the drum set.
Only for consistency and convenience they tune it by ear to the pitch of E1 (low tuning 41. 2Hz) or A1(middle-low tuning 55Hz) of the four string bass.
There may be drummers around here who can inform us on this
Tunadrum - The Art Of Drum Tuning - It's not hard really...

Here is an unprocessed sound comparison of thirteen kick drum installations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ShNeBeDmLc

I attach the freq spectrum of each kick drum from the single note comparison section.
I see presence of fundamental at 30Hz and above.
My ears tell me that more punch and ‘kick’ is not associated with more weight at the low end.
You may rip the sound of the videoclip and apply progressively LP filtering to study the effect.

A 1st week DSP101 class pop quiz question:
What filter has a frequency response looking like this?
With a group delay response like this?

And the answer is?

sim can't help with questions you don't think to ask either

:up:

George

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 37
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
George,
Just taking a cursory look at those drum postings looks like the peak output is in the 50-60hz range, the point where as I said earlier most early JBL and others would accentuate the bass in most of the earlier systems I am aware of. As long as you have that area covered most people are more than happy with the bass without complaining that there is no 20-30hz output, most people really don't listen to organ pipes on a regular basis and even then how often do you use the lowest key on the organ keyboard? Most sub-woofers to me add muddy peaked limited bandwidth noise as far as I am concerned very rarely adding anything to music that we listen to. Most of the time I think of the guys with those horrid bass speakers in their cars making nothing but noise, same with the majority of so called sub-woofers.

George,
Just taking a cursory look at those drum postings looks like the peak output is in the 50-60hz range, the point where as I said earlier most early JBL and others would accentuate the bass in most of the earlier systems I am aware of. As long as you have that area covered most people are more than happy with the bass without complaining that there is no 20-30hz output, most people really don't listen to organ pipes on a regular basis and even then how often do you use the lowest key on the organ keyboard? Most sub-woofers to me add muddy peaked limited bandwidth noise as far as I am concerned very rarely adding anything to music that we listen to. Most of the time I think of the guys with those horrid bass speakers in their cars making nothing but noise, same with the majority of so called sub-woofers.

Yes , "boomer cars" suck .... I don't want to listen to loose screws and hinges. :(

A proper sub (phased) , close your eyes - and the floor disappears. Best
soundstage enhancer short of full surround.
Effect is even more pronounced with a movie.
OS

Yes , "boomer cars" suck .... I don't want to listen to loose screws and hinges. :(

Best soundstage enhancer short of full surround.
Effect is even more pronounced with a movie.
OS

Yes. I still get the hair on the back of my neck to stand on end when I feel connected to the emotion of the moment.

My spouse is an dance instructor emphasizing in pointe. How fortunate am I that I aid her with music selection and do the editing for time and composition. It's deeply gratifying to see these performers become one with moment and expression..

Joined 2002
Paid Member
George,
Just taking a cursory look at those drum postings looks like the peak output is in the 50-60hz range,

Yes. Most of the power is btn 50Hz and 100Hz. I suggest listening to each kick drum (each has four beats on the row) and look at the respective spectrum.

Most sub-woofers to me add muddy peaked limited bandwidth noise as far as I am concerned very rarely adding anything to music that we listen to.

I agree. It is very difficult to seamlessly integrate a sub with main speakers which have descent bass extension.
Only with bass string instruments and with opera, I find that a sub adds something important in music reproduction ( may be with movies too but I don’t watch movies at home).

George

I looked with many of my vinyls for hints. It was not easy nor conclusive but I didn’t find a lot below 50Hz for kick drums in rock and a bit lower in jazz.
Then I did some reading and it became obvious that there is a lot of sound processing going on (console equalization and miking manipulation) both for live and studio sound.
I asked some people and they told me that tuning of kick drum is done in a way that the sound fits in with the rest pieces of the drum set.
Only for consistency and convenience they tune it by ear to the pitch of E1 (low tuning 41. 2Hz) or A1(middle-low tuning 55Hz) of the four string bass.
There may be drummers around here who can inform us on this
Tunadrum - The Art Of Drum Tuning - It's not hard really...

Here is an unprocessed sound comparison of thirteen kick drum installations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ShNeBeDmLc

I attach the freq spectrum of each kick drum from the single note comparison section.
I see presence of fundamental at 30Hz and above.
My ears tell me that more punch and ‘kick’ is not associated with more weight at the low end.
You may rip the sound of the videoclip and apply progressively LP filtering to study the effect.

And the answer is?

:up:

George

Obviously you read the answer, because you deleted it from your post. Perfect high pass filters with no group delay are readily implemented via DSP.

What you don't show is waveform distortion when kick drum or any instrument produces a transient with low frequency content is played through a loudspeaker.

Bigger kicks and other LF.

Those must be little drums at 60hz.

Neil peart has manly kicks - all 42-45hz (below 1 - power windows/ territories ).
Fundamental comes from the sub , reverberations go the the stereo pair to fool
my brain on which kick is struck. Phase sets the relative distance.

Also sprach Zarathustra is 33hz (below 2).
There seems to be a lot of <40hz content in my collection. Shut down the
sub (<70hz) , definitely a lot missing. 45hz tuned stereo pair won't seem to
do justice to (some sources).

Old classic (who) .... not much <60hz.

OS

Attachments

• kick.jpg
    kick.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 144
  • also zach.jpg
    also zach.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Now how much difference if any is there between a kick drum with both drum skins completely closed and those who either leave off the front skin or cut a large hole in that skin, is it just level or does the tuned low frequency change? Guess I could call one of my drummer friends and ask that question.
Most of the time, it is to get this effect you hear on tom-toms. You know, this note that seems to decrease both in frequency and volume with time. But there is so many ways to tune a battery for various effects.

Yes. I still get the hair on the back of my neck to stand on end when I feel connected to the emotion of the moment.

My spouse is an dance instructor emphasizing in pointe. How fortunate am I that I aid her with music selection and do the editing for time and composition. It's deeply gratifying to see these performers become one with moment and expression..

Siemens, Telefunken and Philips used to have them, I don't know about now, it's been some time I went shopping for them, last time I bought 100+100, and I don't use them that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.