John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone can do that parlor trick by having a very conservative Spec on distortion.... an arbitrary number.

You have an amp of .01% and spec it at <.1% -- you can run several of them in series before you exceed .1% or what ever number(s) you want to play with.

But if you choose a spec that is at the threshold of detection, then you can dramatically show just how transparent it is by illustrating how many it will take to be able to hear any imperfections.

THx-RNMarsh

We still have to have multiple different systems to listen to it on.
because if we don't, then who's to know when the first hint of
distortion is coming on?

You had better know the sound inside and out along with the
equipment inside and out, because I was told more than one
my system sounded like "distortion", "shirt", "dead", etc. when
it was in the recording, production, mastering, compression....
Heck even new runs of discs etc, sound different than the
original version. These include ALL of them, from name artists,
international artists, and local artists and new compilations...etc.

Doesn't matter, if you don't pay for the glass it gets tossed!

The problem becomes the same that our "friend" complains about...
and what we are all in one way or another trying to define, identify,
quantify, etc.

We have to be a slueth about it. S.A. Conan Dolye stated it best
(paraphrased here cause it don't want look it up)
Through the process of elimination, what ever you have left,
however improbable it may be, is the answer.

So we are on the "endless quest" of elimination.

Please keep in mind the instruments themselves distort.
Then there is that crazed edge we can walk on that edge,
Personally, I've four piano strings and a few hammers
along with too many guitar strings to count.

I love music and I love making it.

Last edited:
I don't know if what I'm going to say is relevant to your discussion but...

When we listen to A for a second then to B, we don't always put A into our memory then check whether B is similar to A. Instead, we already familiar with C and it is pretty well stored in our memory then we just need to know if A or B is similar to C. So we don't need to "store" A and B into memory at all.

The above is implemented in a DBT or in speaker design. What we need is to listen to specific lyrics of a specific singer (usually female vocalist) of specific music. Some "sound" even already registered very well in our memory since childhood. This how consistency is possible.

It is relevant, as i was responding to bcarso´s remark on weak auditory memory.
In your example the long term storage of "C" is the key point.

Generally it is quite difficult to avoid any influence from long term storage, hence the experimenter has to use special tasks if he is only interestend in something done exlusively with short term memory.

That depends on the effects and hypothesis that will be tested.
In our discussions the key point is imho usually the practical relevance, as listeners are searching for something that makes reproduced music better.

But when using complex stimuli (aka music) listeners have to evaluate a multidimensional event and while there might be the striking perception "something is different" within a second, it is usually a bit more difficult to really analyze the event to know exactly what constitutes the difference (if there was really one).

Last edited:
john curl said:
That is where you can't think outside the box, DF96. The resistance on the small part is an 'artifact' and not a typical resistor.
You want me to think outside the box of EM theory? Is that wise when considering a circuit component, which by definition lies inside the box - in fact in the low frequency corner of the box?

Of course, we know how it works: JB found an isolated community of Maxwell demons and found they were still available for hire. He was fortunate, as most of their clan had already been snapped up by the audio cable vendors.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
It will work, but I recommend you build yourself one or two dedicated sniffer probes: it costs very little and is much more convenient than an actual detector probe. You can sneak it everywhere without fear of causing shorts, to pinpoint accurately the source of an oscillation.
Have a look here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/256426-sig-tracer-probe-rf.html?highlight=rf+probe
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/264871-oscillation-sniffer.html?highlight=rf+probe

The doubler is a Nice idea Elvee!

......the problem with batteries, besides cost, and recharging hassle, is the capacity of the batteries themselves, i.e. larger batteries often sound better than smaller batteries, especially on CD. I played with this for years, but gave up in disgust when I could not keep my lead-acid gel cells functioning over time, no matter what the care I took.
Modern glass mat sealed gel cells make claims of deep cycling capability.
Standard gel cells definitely do not like being deep cycled.

Dan.

Congratulations Elektroj, you have passed a primary listening test! Yes, normally, silver is BRIGHT sounding, electroplated silver over copper is at least as bright. We found decades ago, that silver has to be BROKEN IN for days and days with real signal across it, before it becomes comfortable to listen through.
With the CTC Blowtorch, we used the best pure silver wire we could find, found originally by BEAR, (of this website), then when it was on the spool, it was conditioned with real signal for at least 30 days, then after being cut and soldered in, another 30 days before we released the product to the customer. MY CTC Blowtorch is made this way, and it is wonderful sounding. More clear than copper, but not annoying either.
I did make VDH copper versions of the CTC Blowtorch. They sound OK, but softer from the get-go, and never as 'clear'. Good enough for most everybody.

:rofl::rofl:
pure unadulterated audio esoteric BS, I'm impressed.... Prove it, you have the technology, provide some proof on any of it!

Personally I believe feedback amplifiers sound better than zero feedback because when the electrons go around the loop they arrive a little bit behind the input signal.

This directly leads to a slight echo which makes the amp sound more spacey.

Now, if you use copper wire, the speed of the electrons is slightly slower than silver. Hence in my experience, copper sounds better because the feedback echo is bigger. Note that in high feedback amplifiers, the feedback can go around the loop many times. So, I am in disagreement with Martin Coulombs on this apect of feedback.

I think this was also what MOH was alluding to in his paper from the 'Essex Echo'.

Anyway, let's keep working at this because we will find new materials, or new ways of making cables that will give bigger feedback echo's and hence spacier sound.

For now, I need to get back to my scotch!

What speed are we talking about here, Fermi (think that's the correct term)velocity or drift velocity?
Some papers on this would be interesting..... because I believe at 0.1mm per second the electrons are going to take a long time to get around any loop:)

Last edited:
Well Jacob2 I do a lot of work in teams that do aerospace, military and recently even more insane electronics, so any proof other that I hear therefore it is real, the sort of proof that goes into any basic electronics system would do, not stupid repeated anecdotes, you know the sort of stuff used every day by engineers (conservative) and scope watchers, basically anything. because I have not seen anything despite years of asking, just BS lots of BS....
As to cable break in LOL

Well Jacob2 I do a lot of work in teams that do aerospace, military and recently even more insane electronics, so any proof other that I hear therefore it is real, the sort of proof that goes into any basic electronics system would do, not stupid repeated anecdotes, you know the sort of stuff used every day by engineers (conservative) and scope watchers, basically anything. because I have not seen anything despite years of asking, just BS lots of BS....
As to cable break in LOL

While i am quite unhappy with a lot of generalization within audiophile descriptions i am also unhappy with the general negation.
Discussion about those highly controversial topics imho quite often run along these lines:

1.) BS, would violate natural laws or be a physical paradoxon

after showing that "1.)" does not hold, then follows

2.) might be so in theory but will not show up in reality

after showing that it can be measured in practice, then follows

3.) maybe, but you can´t hear that

It is in no way meant offensive, but seeing these discussions often in the past years makes me wonder if there is anything that will be accepted although strong personal believe is touched.

Status
Not open for further replies.