John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is exactly why I don't comment on speakers, except in general terms when it comes to amplifier/speaker interface issues. You will never see me down talk other manufactures or see me praise my own designs. I simply don't go there. I write "our" products, as they are by no means mine alone. They are like most things a team effort.

Actually a lot cares about things in a vertical sense, I was ridiculed by my views on Vinyl, a least is spread a discussion on what digital is really capable of and where the short comings are. When it comes to ideas that vinyl is a better fit to the problems that lie inherently in a speaker NOBODY seemed to care one single bit. To me overlooking interfacing is a terrible mistake. Again we ought to step back a bit and ask ourselves why audio reproduction has been motionless over pretty much the last three decades. Quite understandable why the hobby is graying.

Last edited:
When it comes to ideas that vinyl is a better fit to the problems that lie inherently in a speaker NOBODY care one single bit. To me overlooking interfacing is a terrible mistake. Again we ought to step back a bit and ask ourselves why audio reproduction has been motionless over pretty much the last three decades. Quite understandable why the hobby is graying.

Perhaps "NOBODY care one single bit" because of the handwaving and lack of actual analysis or data?

If you think that "audio reproduction has been motionless over pretty much the last three decades," then you need to get out more.

Because to many people either cling to the old ways are best or use so much voodoo that todays (quite savvy) youngsters look on it as a strange hobby frequented by old fossils who argue over the audibility of a couple of inches of wire.....
or stranger beliefs... at the end of the day the electronics is analogue and digital and no different from any other electronics.
Maybe if you we talked straight and actually addressed real issues instead cable sound or cable break in and all the other weird science that seems to only exist in audio then maybe it would move forward and more would become interested....

Then please explain why a state of the art digital rig gets creamed by a 30 year old mid level TT. And SY I Do get out, quite a lot in fact.. :)
Jacco, not sure where your are going with that, I think I give this forum quite a lot.

You may off-course say that my caring for the hobby is ultimately taking care of the future business. I have had this hobby for almost a life time, I built my own amplifiers pre dating 1990. ever since I have soldered and made things. Making and designing things is my life. But in all there's is limitations. Guys like Sonya and other out-skills me by lengths when it comes to bits an pieces.

Bottom-line is that I feel we all have an obligation to make this hobby thrive as, at least to me, music in one of the great spices of life.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Bytes are 8 bits, word length depends on architecture. CPU's have had 32-bit word length (32 bit registers) for a long time (else we wouldn't have terabyte file systems).

CPU registers have been 64-bit in standard workstations and laptops for a while, and will soon be commonly available in cellphones. The more interesting tech in the last few years has happened in GPUs, which have drastically reduced the cost of scientific computing.

Not that it is really relevant here, but the file system size has little to do with the CPU register size, but it does affect the size of directly addressable RAM for a given application.

When we go to 32 bit....maybe a cpu/dsp that will take two 16 bit bytes and make one word from it. Still backward compatible. It will be an improvement.

View attachment 466022

THx-RNMarsh

Gee, I guess you pay selective attention to what others have to say. They haven't used 16bit integer DSP for serious audio maybe for decades. MiniDSP has several floating point DSP's that are cheap and turn key systems

For instance at least 18yr.

CreamWare CTO Frank Hund said that ADI's SHARC 2126x and 2136x processors are responsible for the absolute perfection in the modeling of the analog circuitry of these systems. SHARC 2126x/2136x processors are members of the single-instruction multiple-data (SIMD) SHARC family, featuring 32-bit/40-bit floating-point processing optimized for high-performance audio applications. "We've been working with SHARC processors since 1997," said Hund.

Last edited:
One can assert any silly thing, then demand an explanation. Right?

So explain why a state of the art LP rig is creamed by an Edison cylinder. The Edison cylinder does a far better job of conveying musical emotion. Why do you hate the idea of musical emotion?

It's quite simple. Literally.

Edison cylinder:

Acoustical -> Mechanical -> Acoustical

LP rig:

Acoustical -> Mechanical -> Electrical -> Magnetic -> Electrical -> Mechanical -> Electrical -> Mechanical -> Acoustical

se

Status
Not open for further replies.