John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you please explain where some of these measures come from, if I play a 1 16bit LSB random noise signal with the volume set for loud but still sensible listening, I can't hear anything. 118dB is silly (depending on your definition of DNR).

It's just a numbers game. As I said in my post above, they determine the just-detectable level of noise in a quiet environment, then subtract that number from the maximum peaks of the music and come up with with the 118dB figure, as if we can hear this just-detectable level of noise while we're listening to music with 122dB peaks.

As you say, it's silly. And Richard is saying this should be the MINIMUM standard.

se

In my own experience, the action with the instantaneous, not longer term, dynamic range is in the region 60-80dB - annoying gremlins at that level down is where critical problems lie, as a cause of SQ issues. Playing a musical track recorded normally, but attenuated 60dB for playback is an eye opener for showing what a dramatic reduction in level that actually is ...

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
yes, it is the world wide standard and is the minimum standard for record/playback. Apparently you do not understand why so many experts in the field were consulted and groups/commities formed etc to set the professional standard.

Scott's just piling on..... . for more drama.

But, I'll give you a clue...... its the range the equipment has to be able to handle -- anything asked to be recorded cleanly -- whether weak or loud signals.

If the recording equipment is up to AES and IASA standards, then the masters are the best we have and downloading from the master files or copies direct to yourself is a very high standard.

I am not in favor of your standard. Sorry. It is just fine for telecommunications or where limited BW and limited storage exists.... like mobile phones and the like. The world-wide Professionals via Standards committees have spoken and they have to design hardware to the same standard they were a part of creating.

I am going with the Standards. As minimum.

Give up?

THx-RNMarsh

:)

Last edited:
I am going with the Standards. As minimum.

Give up?

THx-RNMarsh

:)

No, if that Ampex comment is considered a "standard". It has no basis in any listening context. It's like some of ED's comments, put you ear up to the speaker and turn it up till you can barely detect it with no masking sound at all then go back to your seat and turn it up till you can't stand it. This is the minimum acceptable dynamic range.

Dick maybe your ears are better than mine. Say you have 100W into 8 Ohms just for arguments sake. What's that 28V rms or so? Now put -118dB rms noise on your speaker say ~36uV. now tell me you hear it from your chair.

Maybe I'm wrong, is this not what your "standard" means?

Let's go 1 more, that's 250nV/rt-Hz at the output of your PA or for a typical gain of 26dB, 12.5nV/rt-Hz RTI. Not many do this.

EDIT - Dick, I can't find any standards relating to any more than the definition of dynamic range under the AES, etc.

Last edited:
he's just reading the Wikipedia article which cites AES E-Library Dynamic Range Requirement for Subjective Noise Free Reproduction of Music
A dynamic range of 118 dB is determined necessary for subjective noise-free reproduction of music in a dithered digital audio recorder. Maximum peak sound levels in music are compared to the minimum discernible level of white noise in a quiet listening situation. Microphone noise limitations, monitoring loudspeaker capabilities, and performance environment noise levels are also considered.

Author: Fielder, Louis D.
Affiliation: Ampex Corporation, Redwood City, CA
AES Convention:69 (May 1981) Paper Number:1772 Import into BibTeX
Publication Date

High-Res Audio Panels at AES 2014 - Page 5 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews has some excerpts being missused much like Richard is doing

the excerpts however actually support the interpretation that this is not a nuanced analysis of needed home music playback source dynamic range - rather it is looking at outside limits for ADC capture in the artificial recording environment with close micing

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Richard,
I have a 1967 Firebird first generation ----- if not just drop in one of the newer crate engines like in the new Corvette, Camaro and Cadillac. Nothing like a modern fuel injected engine with all the electronic controls to have both power and fuel mileage.
---- It had running boards on the side to change the aerodynamics as those early bodies had way to much lift at speed. It felt like you were floating at anything over 120 and by 150 was really on the edge without the body modifications. Those bodies had way to much air spilling under the chassis and with spoilers front and rear and the running boards it was a different car completely.

hotrodscustomstuff.com | 1968 Pontiac Firebird

I would vote for the newer crate engine. Though the Caddy and ZR1 engine is too expensive..... really a full race engine design. I think the 302 wont have the torque needed for the big car.

You are in a unique position to make body parts.... I cant - the running boards for the ZR1 are $1800 each side (Carbon fiber). As the local Vette shop found out when they had to replace one they cracked on the lift.

-RM

Photo for above:

Attachments

• Sonnett.jpg
    Sonnett.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 165
Status
Not open for further replies.