John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• decay.png
    decay.png
    168.7 KB · Views: 187
I agree that 'a really good illusion' even momentary is a great test for an audio system, and it might only achieve this on certain source material, like a human voice, for example, and be more compromised on others, like a full symphony orchestra. Or visa-versa. This is the tradeoff we have to make when building our audio system.

I find the debate on optimum speaker characteristics both useful and important, but obscuring what we have to center on to get optimum performance in the reproduce electronics. In fact, I have known a number of speaker designers who seem to be so obsessed (and sensitive) to speaker problems, that they regard electronics as a minor departure from total realism. This is unfortunate, because there are people who can hear the electronics 'signature' through relatively poor loudspeakers, and even better with better loudspeakers, and I know that there are several here on this thread.

I think that digital source is the best and very true, that cd is sufficient, that all digital formats are severely compromised in terms of interfacing to electromechanic speakers, here tape and TT fares better as they essentially are reverse electrodynamic transducers. I believe they the least explored amplifier area is the interfacing to speakers, back emf/current, the inflence of GND and power supply.
Ohh then speakers never sound good when they are spl linear

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Yes

OK, but not exactly what I asked. Why do I need to restrict the dispersion/directivity of my loudspeaker, but not of my piano? Surely they are both sources of sound?

I would suggest that the problem with most "monkey coffin" loudspeakers is not that they have too wide a dispersion pattern, but too narrow and too frequency-dependent.

Yes it is, so I don't want to artificially restrict that. If I restrict the dispersion of the speakers, how do I recover that direct-to-reverberant ratio? But do I want to hear only what the performance sounded like in the original space ("It's like I am transported to the original performance!"), or do I want to hear what that performance would have sounded like in my room ("It's like the musicians are in my room!")? Or none of the above? (Hint: my vote is for option 3, the last thing I want is a g*****n symphony orchestra in my livingroom!)

I did answer your question.... understanding the answere is the problem. let me try again... simplifying maybe too much but here goes.....

The more narrow the dispersion, the more you hear only what was recorded (that of course includes the acoustic characteristics contribution to the sound). An extreame example is a headphone... no additional playback room contribution ... only that which was recorded.

Another example is a fig 8 pattern such as a panel type speaker.... side dispersion is minimal and thus lowers the reflections horizontally to nearby walls which would tend to obscure the recorded acoustics/music.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
SY yet we continue to measure with sines throug resistors. We listen and understand music in transients throug dynamic changing loads but we primarily evaluate and measure in steady state through resistive loads. To be objective we need a new measurement paradigm where better measurement results also offers better listening exprience

I agree that 'a really good illusion' even momentary is a great test for an audio system, and it might only achieve this on certain source material, like a human voice, for example, and be more compromised on others, like a full symphony orchestra. Or visa-versa. This is the tradeoff we have to make when building our audio system.

Not really, John, I agree some trade-off will occur, but it can be a truly minor one. I find my speakers equally convincing when playing Joan Baez with a classical 6 string guitar only and when reproducing the thunder of The Blue Man Group hitting thei gigantic drum (diameter of some 8 ft). And, given the amplfication I use, I have no problem with power delivery or source, but unafortunately far too many home systems do have just that problem as much as the problem of speakers.

If there's anything I agree with you Americans with it's the fact that for a realistic sound stage one does need quite a lot of power, and not just any power, but quality power.

Oh, I think MiiB goes out quite enough. He put some statements here which if he was out would get his *** wet from the pour of tears of some measurements freaks, but personally, I think he's quite right. We've been stuck in the basically same static system of measurement unnaturally long, time to introduce new, rewised standards and make them COMPULSORY. Leaving it to the industry will inevitably cause them to slide downward.

It's like travelling abroad - you can have with you any and all the papers you want, but first, let's see your passport, mister.

SY yet we continue to measure with sines throug resistors. We listen and understand music in transients throug dynamic changing loads but we primarily evaluate and measure in steady state through resistive loads. To be objective we need a new measurement paradigm where better measurement results also offers better listening exprience

Hallelujah!!! The Force is strong in your family, young MiiB.

I am looking at this from the speaker side of things right now and I will try and present my idea here correctly. In a typical multi-driver enclosure we have the problems of frequency division between devices and also the phase response at the crossover frequency.

To get this anywhere near correct it seems takes both passive and active elements in the crossover networks. A passive conjugate network for impedance correction on the speaker terminals and an active section before power amplification for frequency division and any phase correction.

Now here is where I would like to see some discussion. The active circuitry used before an amplifier for the crossover, how would the gurus do that here.

John,
If you were building an active crossover network to go between a preamp and amplifier sections, and this could be plural such as three or even four sections, how would you do that? Would you use discrete op-amps or what?

Anybody else have a preferred method besides DSP?

Oh, I think MiiB goes out quite enough.

Apparently not enough to read the basic texts (e.g., Self, Cordell, Baxandall) -or even to look at the Measurements section in a popular magazine- where reactive loads and response to various test signals are discussed extensively.

I would once again suggest ears-only experiments, but that is anathema to folks dedicated to the idea of not trusting their ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.