Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 26th November 2012, 10:14 PM   #29981
kgrlee is offline kgrlee
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
For example, just this month, a recording engineer of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (CSO Brass) sent me a CD copy from a 24/96 master or an SACD and I really like the music, BUT I don't like the GLARE of the CD. Oh well, yet with the same playback equipment, I love Chesky 24-96 and SACD's.
JC, there is something seriously wrong with your gear.

I suggest you conduct the Hirata test which simulates the highly assymetrical waveforms generated by the anti-aliasing filters of most CD players. The pure zillion GHz response of SACD is less prone to this but good playback gear should play both CD & SACD without glare.

Also worth checking is PIM using Quan's test. It may be the oversampling D/As used today are exercising your preamp's slew rate too close to its limit.

There are many gurus here with experience and deep understanding of Hirata & Quan who can help you sort out your design.

Old 26th November 2012, 10:16 PM   #29982
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
Banned

The sad thing, for the music AND audio industry in general, is that so few people are able to, or have the wherewithal to get digital replay, from CD, working right. I think I can count on the fingers of one hand, in the hundreds of systems I've heard over the years, the number of times I've heard other setups achieve clean CD playback ...

Frank

Last edited by fas42; 26th November 2012 at 10:18 PM.

Old 26th November 2012, 10:20 PM   #29983
john curl is offline john curl  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, I guess I will have to stick to SACD, DVD, etc. CD is sometimes OK, but not always.
Just goes to show how I can be so 'ignorant'. '-)

Old 26th November 2012, 10:22 PM   #29984
diyAudio Member

DARN, and it should be so easy! '-)

Old 26th November 2012, 10:23 PM   #29985
Kindhornman is offline Kindhornman  United States
diyAudio Member

John,
I agree that Chesky does make some wonderful sounding disks. What I could not tell from your description was whether that CD from your friend was turned into a redbook 16 bit version or if it was still 24/96 that you are talking about?

Christophe,
What was left of the original circuit of the Berhinger by the time you made all of those changes? It would seem that the only thing you kept was perhaps the A/D D/A converters. Sounds like you found not much to like with the unit as it was delivered. I see people on many forums recommending those units, seems like something is amiss here. Perhaps those others have a lower standard than you do for acceptable sound quality?

Old 26th November 2012, 10:25 PM   #29986
diyAudio Member

It was a CD copy of something better. I am sure that he, who recorded it, thought it adequate for the listening.

Old 26th November 2012, 10:36 PM   #29987
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
DARN, and it should be so easy! '-)
Agree. But the audio industry are very, very slow learners. Two things they don't get: you're asking for trouble sticking extremely high speed digital circuitry right next to analogue circuity, that needs to laze around in the sun in comparison , in the same box without taking a modicum of care; and, that the ear is extremely sensitive to very unpleasant, digital noise related types of distortion, no matter how low in amplitude they are.

Frank

Old 26th November 2012, 10:45 PM   #29988
Joshua_G is offline Joshua_G  Israel
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
The sad thing, for the music AND audio industry in general, is that so few people are able to, or have the wherewithal to get digital replay, from CD, working right. I think I can count on the fingers of one hand, in the hundreds of systems I've heard over the years, the number of times I've heard other setups achieve clean CD playback ...

Frank
Indeed.
It seems to me that my CDP (AMR CD-777) is on the short list of the really good ones.

Old 26th November 2012, 10:46 PM   #29989
Joshua_G is offline Joshua_G  Israel
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
Agree. But the audio industry are very, very slow learners. Two things they don't get: you're asking for trouble sticking extremely high speed digital circuitry right next to analogue circuity, that needs to laze around in the sun in comparison , in the same box without taking a modicum of care; and, that the ear is extremely sensitive to very unpleasant, digital noise related types of distortion, no matter how low in amplitude they are.

Frank
Indeed.

Old 26th November 2012, 10:56 PM   #29990
Steve Eddy is offline Steve Eddy  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
At least one. Cough, cough, Steve, cough, cough.
Make that two. Cough, cough, John, cough, cough.

se

Closed Thread

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIHide this!Advertise here!