John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not unless they fall under the category of "non-hazardous ingredients" which aren't specified in the MSDS. It seems like silicon carbide abrasive would be extremely disadvantageous to have in a lubricant.

However I did find this:

http://www.echeloninc.com/contactlubrication.htm said:
Silicone Contamination
Silicone contamination poses particular problems which can also be overcome by contact lubricants. Silicones are found in lubricants, sealants, polishes and mould release agents. As silicones can "creep" great distances, these products should not be used in switch assembly areas. When silicones are present between moving or vibrating contacts, they react under arcing conditions to form silicon carbide. These crystals abrade the contact surface and cause electrical breakdown. Silicone contamination is very difficult to remove, particularly after the formation of silicon carbide. It cannot be removed by solvents. There are certain contact lubricants that can prevent the damage caused by silicones and can even restore damaged contacts. One such treatment from Electrolube reacts with the silicon carbide to form volatile silicon tetrafluoride gas, thus slowly breaking down the hard particles.

If a contact lubricant is used on the switch prior to the introduction of silicones these problems are avoided.

At the same time 100% silicone grease is sold as a dielectric grease or spark plug boot grease. It could be that a high-voltage-low-current connection at spark plugs is less at risk than low-voltage-high-current connections such as at the batteries or alternator.

In any case, a home theater system is not nearly that bad. It seems the arcing has to be powerful and repetitive for days or weeks until it begins to be a problem. One good spark may carbonize a pinprick on the connector, but any good connector will be sufficiently conductive to prevent sparks in the first place, and even if not, will not be dependent on one single point of contact. I don't really know this but this is the picture I get so far from what I've read.

....I did find this:
Good info, thanks...confirms what I have been told/experienced in the past.

At the same time 100% silicone grease is sold as a dielectric grease or spark plug boot grease. It could be that a high-voltage-low-current connection at spark plugs is less at risk than low-voltage-high-current connections such as at the batteries or alternator.
It's the arcing that occurs at switch opening/switch bounce that is the problem...not an issue with spark plugs, CRT ultor caps, alternator/battery or other permanent/semi permanent connections.

Dan.

Well, Google strikes again:

http://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts said:
Myth: WD-40® contains fish oil. Fact: Consumers have told us for years that they've caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40. We believe this legend came from folks assuming the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

Anyone involved with painting and surface contamination understands that WD-30 contains silicone oils. Spray some 50 feet away from anything you want to paint and watch the fisheyes appear on the surface as sure sign of silicone contamination. We usually ban any source of WD-30 in any paint operation or in composites because of this silicone contamination hazard. There are no solids in WD-30 that I have ever heard mentioned with that source and it has been discussed for years in industry. But it does work well at driving water from an electrical connection.

Silicon carbide is used for making sandpaper not in WD40. It has its uses but not a great lubricant unless machining Aluminum.

hence why I said it was only of limited use for car type contacts where you need to cut through corrosion anyway, I did say it was not suitable for precision electronics contacts, these occasional slivers were micrometre sized anyway...

Interesting.

I read an interview with the guy who created WD40 who said it was 100% fish oil.
Maybe they changed the recipe since then.

It was, apparently..originally whale oil. You can imagine how that would go over these days. Calling it fish oil may be a way of taking the heat off the situation.

The difference between the particulate from organic diesel fuel (plant based) vs that which is pulled out of the ground, may illustrate a parallel of why it was made out of whale oil.

They say that the particulate from organically originated diesel fuel is exceedingly small in size and thus notably more toxic to humans and the environment, compared to that of 'normal' diesel fuel.

Similarly, the quality of the organic whale oil based WD40 was supposedly..unsurpassed. It may have to do with linking, molecular specifics in fineness, quality and count, etc. suffice it to say, WD40 is probably 3 formulations past it's original spec and quality, all of it a downhill slope.

There was an excellent oil derived from very small fish in the arctic regions; the fish was of the shark family….supposedly.

The oil was used by the Japanese as a food supplement during the WWII era; the result was that - when taken to excess - the hair fell out of the follicles! :rolleyes: It also degraded with time.

However it was eventually stabilised and back in the 90s was sold out of Italy by Art (Italy) and in the US by a guy called Cohen (who represented Yamamura-Churchill). I think it was called 'Squalan'

It was an excellent cleaner for audio contacts such as plugs etc. [It is alleged that it was also used in the Bugatti (90s version) as sump oil!]

EDIT:
Just noticed SY's new words of wisdom at the end of his post:)………yes that stuff was in the never to be doubted category!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.