John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Had another listen. Different PC, same headphones. I'm convincing myself here that "B" is the best sounding. I can imagine the notes flying from the piano more, as if its set in a bigger acoustic. Three runs of Foobar.

Edit... so B would be Bolton.

Attachments

• One.PNG
    One.PNG
    29.6 KB · Views: 217
  • Three.PNG
    Three.PNG
    30 KB · Views: 213
  • Two.PNG
    Two.PNG
    30.7 KB · Views: 177
I could say yes, I heard the difference on the first run concentrating hard.

I agree that in case of slight differences it is very difficult to keep concentration and hearing resolution.
Anyway, the 50 ohm loading did not seem to introduce any harsh artifacts, in this case.

What is interesting, that sometimes people who listen with low-end equipment (like Max said, PC with 1" speakers) are able to tell the "clear difference". However, I greatly appreciate your input, that is supported with ABX foobar results.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I just learned that Harry Pearson died. RIP, Harry. He was only 77 and started The Absolute Sound. I knew HP and visited him often as my friend Sallie Reynolds, whom I visited at her home in Sea Cliff, lived a short walking distance from Harry's home. Harry bought me the first Audio-System One (maxed out features set) to learn what could be correlated to listening. He was always a gentle man with great tastes in all things. After I stole Sallie away (his TAS editor), he visited me and Sallie in our home in Cool, California as well. Last time I saw him, we all got in the hot tub... Hot tub and wine. Nice in the winter. He will be missed !

-Richard Marsh

I was just looking at that publication the other day. 77 is no age to go nowadays. RIP indeed.

Karl, I have used your Direct WAV file to create 2 files, one with unloaded preamp output, second with heavily loaded preamp output. If anyone would like to try and give his opinion which is which, here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sndn8jpl5hlfigo/manchester.zip?dl=0

OK, Bolton was unloaded, Blomley was loaded (preamp output loaded with 50 ohm terminating resistor, preamp output impedance is 10 ohm, volume matched by turning the input Alps).

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks Pavel.

When I listened I used the method, play A, play A play A, play B (I keep thinking B is better), play X or Y... yes X or Y was B or, I'm not sure, play B, play B play B, play X or Y again and decide. And so on and repeat.

Very tiring when concentrating so hard :)

Don't make it too difficult Mooly, or you will make mistakes that will imply that there is no consistent difference. I think that your first simple X-Y test told 90% of what we need to know: That some people, especially people experienced in evaluating listening differences, can hear a difference in similar circuits. " Who could ask for anything more?"

When I listened I used the method, play A, play A play A, play B (I keep thinking B is better), play X or Y... yes X or Y was B or, I'm not sure, play B, play B play B, play X or Y again and decide. And so on and repeat.

Very tiring when concentrating so hard :)
I agree with the technique of repeating one sample over and over again, so that the pattern of sound builds up in your mind; it no longer is music, it almost becomes a rhythmic chant of noise - as soon as that pattern is slightly altered, the mind picks it immediately - there's been a change, and you recognise it instantly ...

A little more exploration of PMA's files, Blomley and Bolton: I had to go to high levels of oversampling to get decent time alignment - 1,536k sampling rate - and at these rates the file sizes become huge, so only looked at Left channel, but called Mono in the image. Adjusted Bolton by 0.07dB, and was able to secure a diff file that lay in the range 60-80dB down.

But looking in the "worst" areas we get this:

Blomley,Bolton01.png

The diff file is effectively only 40 to 50dB down from the source waveform - hence would still be quite audible as a tonal change between the files. And what I find particularly interesting is the shape in the diff file at the crossover regions of the source ...

Last edited:
Okay, now we know that Bolton should be the "best", how much does that differ from the original file, Direct WAV ... quite a bit it seems - this is at the spot of biggest difference, at the beginning of the recording:

Direct,Bolton01.png

Note that the left, upper, channel seems to be somewhat less accurate, there's more bleedthrough of the source waveform in the right channel, pointing to less distortion.

Okay, now we know that Bolton should be the "best",

Hi Frank, I am not sure if Bolton is "better" than Blomley. We just have known that Bolton is unloaded. That does not necessarily mean "better". Analysis of the last part of the files, when music ended and whole channel (DAC - preamp - ADC) background noise has been recorded, shows that Blomley has less intrinsic noise. It has higher channel S/N ratio. Differences in harmonic distortion are absolutely negligible.

Also please take into account dithering that Audacity uses always, it is not TPD, but noise shaping dither.

P.S.: you have captured well that the ADC inverts the phase ;)

Attachments

• bolton_noise.PNG
    bolton_noise.PNG
    80.4 KB · Views: 156
  • blomley_noise.PNG
    blomley_noise.PNG
    80 KB · Views: 156
  • file_end_analysis.PNG
    file_end_analysis.PNG
    65.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Comparison of distortion of the loaded and unloaded preamp. It is measured at higher amplitude than used in the test, otherwise everything would remain in noise even with narrow band FFT. Measured with notch filter, to see anything. Distortion components have changed from about -125dB (re fundamental) for unloaded to -120dB for loaded preamp. The output stage is biased at 40mA, it is very deeply in class A even if loaded.

Attachments

• 1_loaded.PNG
    1_loaded.PNG
    79.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 1_unloaded.PNG
    1_unloaded.PNG
    79 KB · Views: 151
Don't make it too difficult Mooly, or you will make mistakes that will imply that there is no consistent difference. I think that your first simple X-Y test told 90% of what we need to know: That some people, especially people experienced in evaluating listening differences, can hear a difference in similar circuits. " Who could ask for anything more?"

Yes, some could hear the difference when opamps were loaded far above their specs. This would never happen in at least moderately well designed preamp, provided it was not designed by a garage hi-end enthusiast designer, not educated in EE. We do not load conventional opamps with 100 ohm resistors, do we? We are talking wire distortions, resistor distortions etc., here, right? ;)

Blomley has less intrinsic noise. It has higher channel S/N ratio. Differences in harmonic distortion are absolutely negligible.

What makes this difference in the channel noise? The answer is very easy. The preamp has 10 ohm output resistance. We load it by 50 ohm and get the 50 : 60 ohm divider. Let's take the basic maths:

20 log (50/60) = -1.58 dB.

We had to add 1.58 dB by volume pot for Blomley to get the same amplitude levels of both files. This 1.58 dB is the improvement in S/N for Blomley.

Also please take into account dithering that Audacity uses always, it is not TPD, but noise shaping dither.
Pavel, are you saying that you used Audacity to do the recording?

As regards my use of it, all the files are processed at the 32 bit level, i.e. about 190dB dynamic range, with zero dithering applied: choices of dither in Audacity are None, Rectangle, Triangle or Shaped.

Status
Not open for further replies.