John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Those Crown amps ARE cheap on eBay. Probably more a testament to musicians lack of tangible connections to money than the value of the products. The Macro Reference circuit is probably in several other amps as well.

I was taken aback by the claim that .002% SMPTE IM is equivalent to .0005% THD. I have read the opposite elsewhere.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The reference series is not cheap and nothing like the cheap ones sold on EBAY ...

Its not typical for a designer to ditch all the accumulated knowledge and do something completely different on a premium product. Its way too risky if nothing else. While components, layout and things like heat sinks etc. will be different I would suspect the circuit topology would be similar with similar decisions about gains, feedback management etc. to other amps of similar power designed in the same period. Do you know different?

I do know different. At the time I was manufacturing analog fiber optic line level interconnects to the high end market. That along with the CD spatial filter and fiber cables for OEM's. Crown was interested in the fiber stuff for stadium application. I visited the factory a couple of times in Elkhart IN (just north of the HumVee factory). The chief engineer is an audiophile and was given a clean slate and no requirements. I do know many cherished audiophile recording are done with the macros in the mix. The best studios always boast about having them. What was impressive was the size of their shipping facility, about the size of closet. Their torroid winding machines where cool. For you tube heads, thay had a 2 story tube used to transmit christian radio all the way down to Panama. The founder where christian.

@Demian,

Yes true , then there 's Jeff Rowland and Paul McGowan ,

Although Paul has since made a u-turn Jeff Rowland hasn't . As far as the Crown is concerned, i only know what was written in that Stereophile test and i had a few friends who did buy the crown after the Stereophile review as well as the Pro-amp version ( much cheaper ) to drive their Apogee Diva's and the reference was much better and different sounding, Easily the best crown i ever heard .

As to the pro version i was more a Crest 10001 kind of guy ...:)

Last edited:
I do know different. At the time I was manufacturing analog fiber optic line level interconnects to the high end market. That along with the CD spatial filter and fiber cables for OEM's. Crown was interested in the fiber stuff for stadium application. I visited the factory a couple of times in Elkhart IN (just north of the HumVee factory). The chief engineer is an audiophile and was given a clean slate and no requirements. I do know many cherished audiophile recording are done with the macros in the mix. The best studios always boast about having them. What was impressive was the size of their shipping facility, about the size of closet. Their torroid winding machines where cool. For you tube heads, thay had a 2 story tube used to transmit christian radio all the way down to Panama. The founder where christian.

Dont forget with NS10's , you have those too .... :D

There open reel tapes were made for missionaries, their real intent to build them was my understanding , so yep Christians , like most at the time ...

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
a.wayne;4014584 i only know what was written in that Stereophile test and i had a few friends who did buy the crown after the Stereophile review as well as the Pro-amp version ( much cheaper ) to drive their Apogee Diva's and the reference was much better and different sounding said:
Ahh, now I see. I missed the sarcasm on your previous post Bruce:

That amplifier had two reviews (by S.T. and L.L) 180 degrees off to each other. Thus J.A. asked for a third reviewer (T.N.) in an attempt to bridge the chaos.
Crown Macro Reference power amplifier | Stereophile.com

As for code readers… there was a good code (L.L.):
There was some soundstage depth, but it was frequency-dependent and constant, regardless of what was contained in the program material”.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.