Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 20th April 2012, 06:47 PM   #22571
john curl is online now john curl  United States
diyAudio Member

Well everyone, I hope I can still say, what works, works. It doesn't matter if I can easily measure WHY it works better or not, or whether I can cite every explanation about WHY it works to page in a college textbook. Sometimes I just have to do what works, rather than accept critiques as to how what I find works could not possibly make a difference. That is what keeps me ahead in audio design.
When I make the best products possible, which includes the CTC Blowtorch preamplifier, and the Vendetta Research SCP-2 phono stage, I do a lot of things that many here would 'sneer at' citing unnecessary effort for a minimum gain in perceived performance. Maybe it has developed into a 'bad habit' to do all the prepping and cleaning that I do, when I am in charge. However, it seems to lead to design awards when in competition with everything in the world of audio, even when I have not made that particular design for the last 20 years, for example. I think that I will stick with what works.

Old 20th April 2012, 07:01 PM   #22572
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member

I can't agree with you more Mr.Curl........any good chef will tell you it is all in the prep. A little skill helps of course.

Jam

Old 20th April 2012, 07:18 PM   #22573
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

J.C.

Sticking with what works is an interesting concept. The first computer I ever used was a Bendix G15-D. It had a drum memory and vacuum tubes. There just may be exceptions to that rule!

Let us talk about balance? I can certainly make a better power supply than most. If I put it on the old standard 2 transistor phono preamp, the effort is wasted. If I used your style of design for the gain stage and a "9 volt battery eliminator" sold by Olson's in the early 60's it probably wouldn't be much better.

Now if I use a good power supply and amplifier (Topology & Components count) then there may be a limit when I use Radio Shack connectors.

Now that is all old stuff. You have pretty much mentioned which components and which topologies you use. You lament and covet some parts that are no longer made. many complain there is nothing new here.

So how long does it take you to do a new design?

How many design improvement steps do you think you have accomplished in your career ... so far.

Can you start a real list of do's and don'ts?

Do others wish to list what they have picked out from the 30K ++ posts?

Old 20th April 2012, 07:40 PM   #22574
diyAudio Member

When I went into independent design, far away from big company 'standards' and procedures, more than 40 years ago, I did NOT think that much was important, EXCEPT good circuit topology and low IM distortion. However, when I proceeded to make designs with ceramic caps, second rate resistors, IC's (the best at the time), tantalum coupling caps, marginal power supplies, etc, etc. I found that interested, but independent 3'rd parties REJECTED my efforts, even though they measured OK with an SMPTE IM tester.
If you lose your job, because your client is disappointed in the results of your effort, it is possible that one might try to find out how and why one went wrong. Others would just 'sniff' and say it was office politics or some such and just find another client less critical. This is what makes the difference.
We have worked for decades to understand what it really takes to make a successful audio design. Many of us have pretty good test equipment, education, and have even done independent research on audio distortions. To call us names, or make any other attempt to impugn our reputation is simply what T refers to as 'primate behavior'. '-)

Last edited by john curl; 20th April 2012 at 07:49 PM.

Old 20th April 2012, 07:41 PM   #22575
diyAudio Member

I just did, Ed!

Old 20th April 2012, 08:27 PM   #22576
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
J.C.

Do others wish to list what they have picked out from the 30K ++ posts?

With all due respect, I have finally found out why I donít "get" maths. (and my arms are not short).

George

Old 20th April 2012, 11:38 PM   #22577
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
50% + totally off topic.

25% BS

22% Defensive Vanity

2% pure gold

Old 20th April 2012, 11:42 PM   #22578
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
50% + totally off topic.

25% BS

22% Defensive Vanity

2% pure gold
Did you use double blind method to calculate?
Nothing in the universe is perfect. The ideal things are the ones that are most optimal. Optimization criteria, what matters. When I hear "No Compromise Design", I want to take a sledgehammer and test how impact-proof it is.

Old 20th April 2012, 11:53 PM   #22579
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Did you use double blind method to calculate?
Purely subjective judgement - for which I offer no apologies.....I do not hold that the percentages are accurate but the categories I believe hold good under the most rigorous of testing methodologies.....I asked my missus what she thought...and [for once] she agreed with me

Old 21st April 2012, 10:23 AM   #22580
vacuphile is offline vacuphile  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I belong to the 1%

Closed Thread

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIHide this!Advertise here!