John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Groove noise:
Don’t pay attention on 50, 150, 250, 350 Hz peaks (it is a ground loop issue) but see the noise profile.
The quantum demons have to work hard mostly below 1kHz to clean up the record noise

Mr. Curl
When you will be ready, please make a groove noise recording before and after installing these devices and study the spectrum.

George

George I think the 10Hz arm/cart resonance would be sufficient, even the dullest demon would know to remove that.

ROTFL!!! :) Otherwise we actually agree on a bit.

What makes you think the device is a filter? There are other approaches to reducing noise that are effective if you look at how the human auditory perception system works. These pop up with great regularity and some are in widespread use.

Now if you want to object to the word quantum....

Ed please read Bybee's claims, noise removal in preference to signal at the SAME frequency.

Psychoacoustics plays a big role in this - when the playback provides enough clean low level detail the noise spectrum of the artifacts of the playback mechanism becomes clearly distinguishable from that of the recording, and the brain very quickly, subconsciously, filters out the irrelevant noise ... the surface hiss 'goes away' ...

We all have it -- that's why we can listen to a busker who's playing a solo instrument very competently, on the side of a busy street, with atrocious levels of background noise, roaring and clattering away. If you tried to listen to the equivalent over a normal hi-fi, you would smash down a door, if necessary, to get away from the hideous racket ... :D

Ed please read Bybee's claims, noise removal in preference to signal at the SAME frequency.

The device J.C. Mentioned is not the same device as the standard magic Bybee. It is possible to reduce perceived noise more than perceived signal. Of course if your avant guarde recording is noise, the effect of the device should be perceived.

The issue is rendering the judgement on something that is not quite the claim.

In the frequency domain a simple low pass filter could be used to reduce noise and on some older recordings not affect signal as some early recordings had little HF content.

Now there are well known processes that gate the bandwidth based on signal. Again not the same thing.

Now in the non frequency domain a nonlinear amplifier could be used to reduce noise. The perception issues could be addressed by exactly how the gain curve swung.

So not knowing if or what the device does, by actual measurements, I cannot dismiss the claimed results. However I am not in the market for such a device.

We all have it -- that's why we can listen to a busker who's playing a solo instrument very competently, on the side of a busy street, with atrocious levels of background noise, roaring and clattering away. If you tried to listen to the equivalent over a normal hi-fi, you would smash down a door, if necessary, to get away from the hideous racket ... :D

I heard Leo Kottke busking in Milwaukee in 1966 all other sounds did not matter.

So not knowing if or what the device does, by actual measurements, I cannot dismiss the claimed results. However I am not in the market for such a device.

I can easy, I found Brian Cheney linking some articles that have no relevance to nano-tubes at the macro-scopic level or audio at all. You guys have a whole culture of BS designed to obfuscate, violation of first principles is extraordinary you toss it off like an every day event.

Jack Broadbent Amazing busker should be WORLD famous!! - YouTube

Are your doors still standing ?

I can easy, I found Brian Cheney linking some articles that have no relevance to nano-tubes at the macro-scopic level or audio at all. You guys have a whole culture of BS designed to obfuscate, violation of first principles is extraordinary you toss it off like an every day event.

I can find crazy explanations for lots of things. Without invoking any religious belief "creation science" is nonsense, but we still exist.

Yes some folks hear things that aren't there and sometimes there are things that they hear that do exist. Even if using very precise measurements of the wrong parameter show no difference.

Now if you want to obtain this new miracle record noise cleaner and do some measurements this conversation might have substance. But stick your fingers in your ears and going "nah nah nah" is almost as silly as some audio explanations.

It really is all based on mineral sprites.....

I have to sadly give a short history of Brian Cheney. I first met him at the Chicago CES in 1977, and we remained friends since then.
Brian made loudspeakers, and for some years he did pretty well at it. In 1987, when I was being evicted from my workshop in Berkeley, Brian asked me to share a new space with him and we kept this relationship of sharing an office until last year when he passed away.
I still use one of Brian's subwoofers.
Now, I did not 'hang out' much with Brian, we had our separate activities, him being a married guy with family, and me essentially living alone for all the time that we worked together, but we did meet for lunch sometimes just to keep up-to-date with each other.
Well, a few years ago, I was invited to Brian's house to have Thanksgiving dinner.
While there at the house, we talked about the next CES in Las Vegas, as we always went, and Brian had quite a display each year.
Somehow, the Bybee purifiers came up in conversation.
Brian apparently had modified one of his speaker systems with Bybee Purifiers for a customer who insisted that he add them. The customer in fact supplied the Bybees for his order. Brian told me that they really made a difference, and he wished that he could afford some to put into his CES show speaker. I didn't think much would happen, but I called Jack Bybee from Brian's house and Jack, to my surprise, decided to give him about $10,000 worth for his show speakers. Brian enthusiastically took him up on his offer, and put them into his show speaker. He also made an identical speaker system WITHOUT Bybees so that he could do a relative comparison. The Bybee's won, at least to Brian's ears, and he became an enthusiastic supporter of adding them to his speaker systems. I don't think that too many people could actually afford them at the level that Brian used, as they cost as much as his loudspeakers.
I don't know what Scott is referring to, when he says that Brian was sharing articles. I would certainly like to know just to keep the story straight. But Brian was NOT an engineer, and more a pretty good technician with good ears, who could put together a pretty good speaker system. I don't know what Brian could do with further understanding the Bybee devices, as even I am not entirely clear as to their operation, and I have known Jack Bybee much longer than Brian ever did. BUT Brian had good ears, and he would know the difference, and not be fooled by a phony product.
Now I knew Brian for about 35 years, through thick and thin. He would never make up anything to sell a product, so what is being revealed here?

Nice find ... but note two things: the sound is coming from a battery powered, pocket rocket amp he's sitting on, and the background noise is super benign ... no trucks, etc ...

I've been about 20 feet away from Tommy Emmanuel going full bore a couple of times - so it takes a bit to impress me ... :p. The funny story is, that as a lark he tried a bit of anonymous busking, and was paid no more attention to than any other busker!! ... just the sort of thing to put your ego in place ... :D

Last edited:
Nice find ... but note two things: the sound is coming from a battery powered, pocket rocket amp he's sitting on, and the background noise is super benign ... no trucks, etc ...

I've been about 20 feet away from Tony Emmanuel going full bore a couple of times - so it takes a bit to impress me ... :p. The funny story is, that as a lark he tried a bit of anonymous busking, and was paid no more attention to than any other busker!! ... just the sort of thing to put your ego in place ... :D

This kind of music has a small dedicated following, one of the guys at work has paid Tommy to play at his home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.