John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm not sure I agree with "mostly mean well" but the case of Feastrex is different. The washi paper cones handmade by a national treasure is a classic mix of ritual and hobby. They make no extraordinary claims in fact it could very well be the best paper for a paper cone. The leather suspention is anyone's guess but all in all this seems similar to buying a $3500 kitchen knife made by a national treasure sword maker in his spare time (you can spend a lot more BTW).

These are pretty interesting drivers and are indeed more like art. Like most full range drivers they have some specific qualities that are interesting but not my cup of tea.

dB re nominal current.
So say current noise << 8nA p-p.

TC = tempco ?
Then say 0.01%/°C.

Patrick

:scratch:

The shot noise of 8mA is ~50pA/rt-Hz in 20k BW this is 7nA rms or 50nA p-p or so. I don't see how except with a big V across a big R. 8V and 1k has only 4pA/rt-Hz, can't you take your first idea and just servo the source voltage of a FET to put 8V aross a resistor tied to a minus rail? FET and servo can be < 4nV of the resistor.

The TA type design is actually better for driving difficult loads compared to the OP Amp. This is because the driver stage senses the complex load and compensates accordingly. So long as you start with enough peak current and a very high slew rate, then the JC-2 line stage can drive just about anything.
I built a version of the Vendetta Line stage into a line driver for the Grateful Dead, in the mid 80's, and they used it for years, and it beat any IC put against it.

I built a version of the Vendetta Line stage into a line driver for the Grateful Dead, in the mid 80's, and they used it for years, and it beat any IC put against it.

I bet, it did :) Thanks for the info, John! I will give a similar circuit a try.

By the way, have you seen this site?

Internet Archive Forums: the wall and how was it wired

I didn't realize until reading this that GD were after the 'clean sound'.

Last edited:
Scott,

I was trying to avoid a servo, and I know it is not a easy one.
Else I wouldn't put it up here for discussion. :)

So very much looking forward to your ideas.

Patrick

PS I wonder how AD did it in the AD1865 -- also with servo ?

No, virtually all are done with bandgap but you need exact area ratios for that. I need to qualify my other comment the zero TC point of JFET's is not of much use for precise circuits, it works well for getting close +- a few % sort of use.

Last edited:
Here this should work, you don't need much of a servo. Even 1/2 of a diff pair gives 20 per volt of collector drop, here ~250.

EDIT - 6.2V is the nominal zero TC point in the zener equation. You could also stick any two (same) pnp's in one of your little heatsinks and trim the 24.8K for 0 across the bases

Attachments

• current.JPG
    current.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.