John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirty Sound...

OK Max, that's plenty scary, but they don't mention what to do about it. Don't wash your records - but then what?

Dunno !...the site gives some links but I have not explored them....I don't really care being a 'digital' kind of guy.
My father has cut plenty of vinyl masters in the past and we have discussed the subject at length...there are just so many variables in the whole record mastering, manufacturing and playback processes, it is a true wonder that vinyl works as well as it does.
That said, digital done right just hoses all over it imho.
On my little portable radio complete with 2" speaker, I listened to a vinyl track that was played the other night....even on AM, the surface noise and distortions were clearly evident.

Dan.

Max, I am talking about the BEST in vinyl reproduction, not anything else. I have a whole box full of LP's that really sound lousy, and I think it is because they were lousy when they were new, as well. Even my 'critics' admit to short-cuts and compromises in audio quality that they made in the vinyl production days, just to get a product out.
It is ONLY THE BEST VINYL that is really worth pursuing.

Max, I am talking about the BEST in vinyl reproduction, not anything else. I have a whole box full of LP's that really sound lousy, and I think it is because they were lousy when they were new, as well. Even my 'critics' admit to short-cuts and compromises in audio quality that they made in the vinyl production days, just to get a product out.
It is ONLY THE BEST VINYL that is really worth pursuing.

Full agreement. :)

Dan.

Max,
I think we can all agree you can F'up either finished product, either vinyl or digital. I have heard lousy vinyl and more than my share of lousy digital CD's remastered from analog tape. But when either one is done right I don't think anyone complains to much, they just enjoy the music! And yes the days of film in theaters is coming to an end. Most new movies will only be released in digital format, but you have to remember that this is a financial decision, it is much cheaper to do it in digital than to produce all the film copies needed to send movies around the world. Film processing is expensive and one day it will be gone. Digital storage is obviously a loss-less storage media and we won't see the degradation of digital like we do with film.

Hi John,

… Here are two complementary devices similar to the devices used in the Vendetta. Just multiply the capacitances by 2.5 or so and you get the original devices. ...

Why multiply by 2.5? Is it the difference in the input capacitance between the devices used in the Vendetta and the 2SK170/2SJ74?

… Note that I operate the input jfets at 9-12V either Vds or Vdg.

On the nonlinear capacitance curves, note the rate of change of the slope at about 10V. That is why we like to operate around 10V, because it is more linear there.

As far as I remember, from what you wrote few years ago, the equivalent input noise voltage is lowest at 8V Vds. Is that correct?

Is the 10V Vds a compromise between noise between noise an nonlinear capacitance?

You 'think too much' Joshua. It is more simple than that, fet input noise is not directly related to Vds, but IF you go too high in voltage, gate leakage will become noticeable.
You are referring to what I said about microphone preamps with 1 billion ohm input vs 10 ohm input for a MC preamp, you know, 100,000,000 : 1 ratio. Once you get to perhaps 15V with a 10 ohm input, then maybe something might be detected.

Joshua, to really understand gate leakage vs Voltage, just look at the graph.

Attachments

• lld.jpg
    lld.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 180
Status
Not open for further replies.